Subject: [Megaco] reply to sender of command

From: Raphael Tryster <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 10:50:10 +0200

I have seen a number of discussions in the archive about the following
statement:

"Responses must be sent to the address and port from which the corresponding
commands were sent".

The discussions relate mostly to failover and handover situations, but I
could not find any discussion of what happens when a rogue MGC sends a
command to an MG with which it has not established a control association.
One rule that may be relevant here is:

"It is possible that the reply to a ServiceChange with Restart will be lost,
and a command will be received by the MG prior to the receipt of the
ServiceChange response.  The MG shall issue error 505 - Command Received
before Restart Response".

Does the MG send error 505 if it has not received a restart response from
the SENDING MGC, or from ANY MGC?  If the answer is ANY MGC, how does the MG
protect itself from being sent commands by unauthorized entities?

Raphael Tryster

---

From: "Tom-PT Taylor"<[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 10:08:53 -0400

The MG sends 505 to the MGC to which it has sent a ServiceChange
registration.  To any other MGC it would send 402 Unauthorized, if it sends
anything at all.  I'm not sure it should send anything, because rogue
commands could constitute a Denial of Service attack.  Remember that we
expect Megaco commands to pass over an established security association
(which brings to mind that some day we should add security considerations to
the ATM transport annex, Annex I).

-----Original Message-----
From: Raphael Tryster [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, April 29, 2002 4:50 AM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: [Megaco] reply to sender of command

Raphael Tryster 

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "Tom-PT Taylor"<[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 10:08:53 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Raphael Tryster [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, April 29, 2002 4:50 AM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: [Megaco] reply to sender of command

Raphael Tryster