Subject: [Megaco] Uniqueness of tone Id

From: "Nancy Devin" <[email-masked]>
Date: 4 Apr 2002 09:40:04 -0500

Hello all,

The Tone Generator Package (Annex E.3) mentions that a tone Id should be
kept consistent with any tone generation for the same tone.  How should
this be interpreted.

Is it that for a given tone Id, the same frequency and cadance should be
use all the time.

Or is it that for a tone frequency and cadance, only one tone id is
defined.

The former interpretation would inforce that a tone Id is unique only
within the context of a package while the latter interpretation would
inforce that the tone Ids are uniqueley defined outside of packages.

Since I already found an example where two tone Ids are defined for a
given tone I am temted to go with the former interpretation but I would
like to have the opinion of others.

In Annex E.7, Call Progress Tones Generator Package, the dial tone has
the id 0x0030 while in the Basic Call Progress Tones Generator with
directionality, the tone Id corresponding to dial tone is 0x0040.

thanks in advance,
Nancy

--
Nancy Devin
Software Designer

Alcatel
600 March Road, P.O. Box 13600
Kanata, Ontario, Canada
K2K 2E6

Telephone: (613) 591-3600 x6897
Fax:       (613) 599-3609
Internet:  [email-masked]

---

From: "Kevin Boyle"<[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 14:16:10 -0500

Many tones are physically the same, but have different meanings given the
context they are used in.  Also, the same (logical) tone can have different
physical characteristics, dependent upon the region in which the tone is
being generated.  As a good example, consider ringback when you make a local
call, versus ringback when you call overseas.

So linking tone ID to the actual physical definition of the tone is contrary
to how the tone definitions have been done in H.248.  The packages have
defined signals based on their logical definition, not their physical
definition.  So both definitions presented are not correct.  For a
particular request of a signal, the MG should know how to generate that
signal.  I can envision an MG that provides more than one toneset, and which
termination a given signal is being played upon would indicate which toneset
to use.

So, I would take the first definition, and append "for a given termination"
to it:

"For a given tone Id, the same frequency and cadance should be used all the
time for a given termination."

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: Nancy Devin [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2002 9:40 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] Uniqueness of tone Id

Hello all, 
The Tone Generator Package (Annex E.3) mentions that a tone Id should be
kept consistent with any tone generation for the same tone.  How should this
be interpreted. 
Is it that for a given tone Id, the same frequency and cadance should be use
all the time. 
Or is it that for a tone frequency and cadance, only one tone id is defined.

The former interpretation would inforce that a tone Id is unique only within
the context of a package while the latter interpretation would inforce that
the tone Ids are uniqueley defined outside of packages. 
Since I already found an example where two tone Ids are defined for a given
tone I am temted to go with the former interpretation but I would like to
have the opinion of others. 
In Annex E.7, Call Progress Tones Generator Package, the dial tone has the
id 0x0030 while in the Basic Call Progress Tones Generator with
directionality, the tone Id corresponding to dial tone is 0x0040. 
thanks in advance, 
Nancy 
  
-- 
Nancy Devin
Software Designer

Alcatel

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "Kevin Boyle"<[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 14:16:10 -0500

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: Nancy Devin [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2002 9:40 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] Uniqueness of tone Id

Hello all, 

-- 
Nancy Devin
Software Designer

Alcatel