Subject: [Megaco] Questions on CAS Signal type/durations

From: "Sampath Komanduri" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 10:47:51 -0800

Hi Kevin,
Could you pls. shed some light on the time/duration parameter associated
with the following CAS signals?

A) Seize Signal (defined as brief and duration is specified to be "Not
applicable"): 
Handling is clear and no problem.

B) bcas/addr (defined as brief and duration is specified to be
"Provisioned"): 
Is it acceptable for MG have the default configuration as "Not
applicable" in which case if MGC request a g/sc with this signal, MG
will report it whenever it is done with playing out the signal (no time
bounds)?

C) icasc/addr (defined as Timeout and duration is specified to be
"depends on parameters supplied"): 
What does this mean? Can you suggest some examples on how will MGC
decide on different values for different parameters?

D) amet/em (defined as OnOff and duration is specified to be
"Variable"): 
I am assuming that for all these signals 'duration' parameter will not
be provided by MGC. Only the MG will know the duration of the signals to
be applied. Is this assumption correct?

E) amet/mpb (defined as Brief and duration is specified to be
"Variable"): 
I am assuming that for all these signals 'duration' parameter will not
be provided by MGC. Only the MG will know the duration of the signals to
be applied (based on em duration (configured on MG) and bpc parameter of
the signal). Is this assumption correct?

Thanks,
Sampath

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 14:05:45 -0500

Comments inline. [KJBII]

As a general note, when the signal completes on its own (not interrupted by
an event, a new signals descriptor, or some "other reason"), the g/sc
reports a timeout.  This occurs upon completion of the signal, no matter the
duration.

Note that OnOff signals are not capable of timing out, so TO as a reason for
g/sc is impossible for OO signals.  OO signals must always be interrupted in
some fashion.

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: Sampath Komanduri [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2003 1:48 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] Questions on CAS Signal type/durations

Hi Kevin,

B) bcas/addr (defined as brief and duration is specified to be
"Provisioned"): 
Is it acceptable for MG have the default configuration as "Not applicable"
in which case if MGC request a g/sc with this signal, MG will report it
whenever it is done with playing out the signal (no time bounds)?
[KJBII] There is no bcas/addr.  I believe you mean bcasaddr/addr.  Are you
looking at H.248.25?  Anyhow, I believe your description is acceptable.  See
my general note above.

C) icasc/addr (defined as Timeout and duration is specified to be "depends
on parameters supplied"): 
What does this mean? Can you suggest some examples on how will MGC decide on
different values for different parameters?
[KJBII] It depends upon what parameters are supplied as to how long the
signal will last.  This is digit outpulsing, so the number of digits to be
outpulsed, along with the interaction with the far-end trunk will have an
impact on how long the signal requires to play to completion.  For
description of the call processing functionality of CAS trunking, see the
appropriate specification for the market you are targeting.

D) amet/em (defined as OnOff and duration is specified to be
"Variable"): 
I am assuming that for all these signals 'duration' parameter will not be
provided by MGC. Only the MG will know the duration of the signals to be
applied. Is this assumption correct?
[KJBII] OnOff means "play until terminated", rather than "play until the
signal duration expires".  So your assumption is correct.

E) amet/mpb (defined as Brief and duration is specified to be
"Variable"): 
I am assuming that for all these signals 'duration' parameter will not be
provided by MGC. Only the MG will know the duration of the signals to be
applied (based on em duration (configured on MG) and bpc parameter of the
signal). Is this assumption correct?
[KJBII] For amet/mpb, the duration will depend upon how many pulses the MG
is playing out.  Generally, the MGC does not specify how metering pulses are
applied -- just how many to apply.  So this assumption is correct.

Thanks,
Sampath

---

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 14:05:45 -0500

Comments inline. [KJBII]

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: Sampath Komanduri [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2003 1:48 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] Questions on CAS Signal type/durations

Hi Kevin,

Thanks,
Sampath