Subject: [Megaco] Announcement in H.248.7.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 13:58:46 +0300

Hi all.

My question is about announcement mechanism in H.248.

Regarding H.248.7 which is the Generic Announcement Package,
the AN parameter that represent the announcement name is
an enumeration. In MGCP protocol, the ANN package includes a
string that represents the file name.

Can anybody explain the logic of working with enumeration instead
of string in H.248.7?

Thank you,
Eli Liluz.

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: Anil Jangam <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 10:04:24 +0530

Pls see inline.

>Can anybody explain the logic of working with enumeration instead
I see it more as a simplified approach. If you refer to 12.3@RFC3525, 
its says:

              12.3  Lists
                     Possible values for parameters include 
enumerations.  Enumerations
                     may be defined in a list.  It is recommended that 
the list be IANA
                     registered so that packages that extend the list 
can be defined
                     without concern for conflicting names.

In MGCP announcement name (the string), its an URL which requires 
further parsing to confirm it to the rfc1738 and rfc2326. This certainly 
adds to the processing time and power.

Regards,
/anil.