Subject: RE: [Megaco] MGC/MG Failure

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 09:43:04 -0500

This is an implementation detail that would depend upon your needs.  Note
that Megaco does not have sole use in the real-time services arena,
therefore it is inappropriate for any timing requirements to be specified as
part of the protocol.
 
Kevin

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Jones, Nevin R (Nevin)
Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2004 6:48 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Jones, Nevin R (Nevin)
Subject: [Megaco] MGC/MG Failure

All: 

I am a newbie to the megao list so please forgive me if this question was
asked and answered previously. Is there a stipulation (and better yet,
mechanism) somewhere in the Megaco/H.248 standard for the maximum switching
time from one MGC to another in the case of a handover? I ask this question
with the concern that if real time IP based services are to operate at 5
nines availability, then it would seem that the MGC switchover would have to
be in the 10s of milliseconds.

Thanks! 

Regards 

Nevin Jones 

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 09:56:31 -0500

Then you will need to determine the permissible timings for your
implementation and its intended application.  This is not a spec issue.
 
Note that there are several H.248 implementations in live deployment in
real-time scenarios today.  Those implementations must surely have addressed
this already for their own purposes.
 
Kevin

  _____  

From: Jones, Nevin R (Nevin) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 9:47 AM
To: Boyle, Kevin [NCRTP:3Z40:EXCH]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Megaco] MGC/MG Failure

Kevin:
 
I agree that Megaco is not particularly specific to rt- services but it does
purport to support VoIP services. If such services are to be "carrier grade"
i.e. 5 nines then this would therefore suggest some need to address the
matter of rapid failover times for MGCs.
 
Regards,

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Boyle [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 9:43 AM
To: Jones, Nevin R (Nevin); [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Megaco] MGC/MG Failure

Kevin

  _____  

All: 

Thanks! 

Regards 

Nevin Jones