Subject: RE: [Megaco] extended packages.

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 10:50:32 -0500

Note that the additional signals, etc. in the extension package may only be
referred to by the extension package.  For example, xal/las cannot be
referred to by the al package name.

Also keep in mind that extensions to parameter values can only be referred
to by the extension package name.  If I had a property a/prop that took
values 1,2,3,4 and then defined an extension package b that added values 5
and 6 for prop, then 5 and 6 may only be used with b/prop.

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2004 8:51 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Megaco] extended packages.

Hello,

>From my understanding see my answers in your mail.

Regards
Jean-Luc

[email-masked]@ietf.org on 30/12/2004 11:25:57

Sent by:    [email-masked]

To:    [email-masked]
cc:
Subject:    [Megaco] extended packages.

Hello,

I have a question regarding extended packages.
Consider the following packages example: al , xal

Are the basic events ALWAYS refered with the basic package (al/on) and ONLY
the extendet event/signals refered with the extended package (xal/las)?
JLR : no you can you use the extented package as well. The rule is that
event/signals existing in the basic package can be refered with the basic
package or the extended package. Event/signals defined in the extended
package can be refered of course only with the extended package.

If MG supports xal package:
1. When MGC instructs MG to detect event or send signals will it refer ONLY
with xal package name? (e.g: xal/on , xal/off) or it may also refer with
al/on?
JLR : both are valid and equivalent and should be accepted by the MG

2. In Audit capabilities, does the MG has to report "al" package as well as
"xal" package? or reporting "xal" is enough?
JLR : both are valid and equivalent and should be accepted by the MGC

3. In case that  only "xal" was reported, can the MGC still refer MG with
"al" package's event/signals? (e.g al/on), or it will use xal package to
refer these events?
JLR : both are valid and equivalent and should be accepted by the MG

I'll appreciate your help on the above.

Thanks, Aliza

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
 https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 00:52:46 -0500

For packages meant only to be extended, or for some of the more interesting
packages like the phrase and variable syntax packages in H.248.9, there is
no point in publishing them, since the MGC cannot use those packages to
control the MG.  For all other packages, why would the MG limit use to just
the extension package?  What if the MGC doesn't support the extension
package but DOES support the base package?  In that particular scenario, the
MG will lose all the capabilities of not only the extension package, but the
base package as well!

It seems to me that choosing not to publish the base package in the package
audit response is a poor design choice for MGs.

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Friday, December 31, 2004 12:18 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Megaco] extended packages.

Hi all

Just to highlight one more things relating point 3 below is that as per the
protocol (H248.1 V2 May 2002) Sec 6.2.3,para 5 It is mandatory for the MG to
support Base package , however it is optional to publish the base package as
an allowed interface through the Audit procedure.
So if MG has not published the base package  then MGC should not send AL/ON
and only XAL/ON is valid.

regards
B Venkat S.R Swamy
Senior Technical Leader
Hughes Software Systems
Phone:  +91-124-2455555 Extn 3620
Fax: +91-124-2455345
web: www.hssworld.com

             Jean-Luc.Lecuyer@                                             
             alcatel.fr                                                    
             Sent by:                                                   To 
             megaco-bounces@ie         [email-masked]          
             tf.org                                                     cc 
                                       [email-masked]                     
                                                                   Subject 
             12/30/2004 07:20          Re: [Megaco] extended packages.     
             PM                                                            

Hello,

Regards
Jean-Luc

To:    [email-masked]
cc:

Hello,

Thanks, Aliza

 ***********************  HSS-Restricted   ***********************

"Please note:  The email domain of Hughes Software Systems Ltd. has been
changed to "hssworld.com" from hss.hns.com"

"DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Hughes Software Systems Limited
(HSS) and is intended solely for the use of the  individual to whom it is
addressed. It may contain  privileged or confidential information and
should not be  circulated or  used for any purpose
other than for what  it is intended.  If  you have   received  this
message in  error, please notify the originator immediately. If you
are   not the  intended recipient, you are  notified  that  you are
strictly  prohibited  from  using, copying, altering, or disclosing the
contents of this message.  HSS  accepts no  responsibility  for loss or
damage arising from the use of  the information transmitted by this email
including damage from virus."