Subject: RE: [Megaco] Support of extensions to Enhanced digit collection p ackage

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 00:12:39 -0500

One of the significant problems with the base digit collection is that it is
based on a longest possible match algorithm, while the digit collection done
in existing telecom systems is shortest possible match.  The xdd package
allows for this shortest possible match algorithm, providing the shortest
possible time in the digit collection phase.
 
MGCs are free to use whatever portions of the packages it supports that it
wishes.  So, yes, it is possible to use only the portions of the xdd package
defined in xdd.  This being said, there is some utility to being able to
collect single digits without resorting to a digitmap...
 
Using the EventBuffer would cause excessive delays in collection of digits,
since it reports only a single digit before having to wait for a new Event
descriptor.  This would add many round trips, potentially, especially in
complex dialing scenarios.  Even in the base spec in section 7.1.14, a digit
buffer is discussed that is separate and independent of the EventBuffer.
This was intentional, as it was meant to hold digits for processing by
digitmaps.  So, there isn't really an overlap here.
 
Kevin

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Jan Lindquist (AL/EAB)
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 5:51 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] Support of extensions to Enhanced digit collection package

Hello megaco community,
 
I have a question relating to the usage of the Enhanced digit collection
package, H.248.16.  There is an overlap of functionality and procedures with
DTMF detection package, H.248.1 E.6, which I would like to get clarified.
 
Two questions:
 
1) Enhanced digit collection package extends the DTMF detection package.
According to H.248 section 6.2.3 it means that the MG has to support not
only the the xdd package but also all the properties, signals, events and
statistics of dd.  Has anybody used the dd parameters when xdd is supported?
If so why?  The motivation for this question is interoperability and what
does an MGC have to support.  Can an MGC simply use only the properties,
signals, events and statistics defined in xdd?  It is odd to require the MG
to support extensions when it is enough to support only the new package.
 
2) Has anybody used DTMF detection package with the EventBufferControl
property instead of the Enhanced digit collection package which support
buffering with the buffer control parameter in xce?  There is clearly an
overlap but has anybody used EventBufferControl in this way?
 
Feedback is appreciated.
 
Regards,
JanL

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco