Subject: [Megaco] Request and responses in a megaco message body

From: "Mahesh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 09:43:33 +0530

HI,

 Could you please clarify the following .

The ABNF for the megaco message body is the following  .

       messageBody          = ( errorDescriptor / transactionList ) 

      transactionList      = 1*( transactionRequest / transactionReply /  

                             transactionPending / transactionResponseAck )

So can we have a transaction request and  a transaction reply  in the same
megaco message ?

But Section 7.2.8 tells that

"At the same 

      time, as indicated in clause 9, transaction replies and pending 

      indications must be sent to the address from which the corresponding 

      requests originated. This must be done even if it implies extra 

      messaging because commands and responses cannot be packed together"

This means we can have only requests/ responses in a megaco message body???
So can we piggy back a request to a response .If we can, any body is using
that.

With thanks and regards

Mahesh

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 10:45:39 -0500

When an implementation negotiates its address, that is the address at which
it wishes to receive messaging.  The sender is free to send from whatever
address it likes.  Therefore, it is conceivable that the address from which
an implementation sends commands differs from the address where it would
receive commands.  Therefore, transactions would go to the negotiated
address while replies would go to the source address, which would be
different in this case.  This means that transactions and replies cannot be
bundled for this scenario.
 
In my personal experience, I find this to be uncommon.  Generally, this
occurs during the period when a new address is being negotiated.  Most
implementations I have personal knowledge of tend to send and receive to the
same port.
 
Kevin

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Mahesh
Sent: Monday, February 21, 2005 1:02 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Megaco] Request and responses in a megaco message body

HI Kevin,

I am bit confused  with  

"  7.2.8 addresses the instance where the transactions are sent to an
address, but that differs from the address from which received commands
originated.  because replies, pendings, etc" .

Could you please explain it a little bit .

With regards

Mahesh

  _____  

From: Kevin Boyle [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, February 21, 2005 11:03 AM
To: Mahesh; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Megaco] Request and responses in a megaco message body

Yes, transactions and replies can exist in the same message.  7.2.8
addresses the instance where the transactions are sent to an address, but
that differs from the address from which received commands originated.
because replies, pendings, etc., have to go back to the source address of
the command, there may be instances where transactions and replies cannot be
bundled into the same message.

I know of at least one implementation that bundles transactions and replies
regularly.

Kevin

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Mahesh
Sent: Sunday, February 20, 2005 11:14 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] Request and responses in a megaco message body

HI,

"At the same 

 

 

With thanks and regards

Mahesh