Subject: [Megaco] Provisional Response Timer Clarification

From: Navdeep Bhatia <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 10:03:03 +0530

Hi

As per V3, definition of  MGProvisionalResponseTimerValue
Indicates the time within which the MGC should expect a Pending Response
from the MG if a transaction cannot be completed.
Initially set to normalMGExecutionTime plus network delay, but may be
lowered.

So the query is , which entity should run the MGProvisionalResponseTimer-
1) MGProvisionalResponsetimer(value for which is defined above) should be
run at MGC, whereas MG will use the "Normal MG Execution Time"  for
generating any  Pending response.

or
2) MG should use the (MGProvisionalResponsetimerValue minus NetworkDelay)
for generating the pending responses.

If it is (1)  then what is MGC supposed to do after the expiry of
MGProvisionalResponsetimer since the re-transmissions timers are calculated
using exponential Backoff mechanism as suggested in
the Section D.1.3 (V3).

Regards,
Navdeep

***********************  FSS-Private   ***********************
"DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Flextronics Software
Systems Limited (FSS) and is intended solely for the use of the
individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain  privileged or
confidential information and should not be circulated or used for
any purpose other than for what it is intended. If you have received
this message in  error, please notify the originator immediately.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you are
strictly  prohibited  from  using, copying, altering, or disclosing
the contents of this message.  FSS  accepts no  responsibility  for
loss or damage arising from the use of  the information transmitted
by this email including damage from virus."

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 03:02:03 -0500

In terms of practical application, the responder should send the first
Pending just as soon as it is known that a Reply cannot be returned
within the normalExecutionTime.  This allows the sender to reset its
retransmission timers accordingly.  Subsequent Pendings should be sent
prior to the exhaustion of the ProvisionalResponseTimerValue, which
would then be reset.

For the MG as responder, the MG should send Pendings per the MG timers
(MGProvisionalReponseTimerValue and normalMGExecutionTime).  For the MGC
as responder, it should send Pendings per the MGC timers
(MGCProvisionalReponseTimerValue and normalMGCExecutionTime).

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Navdeep Bhatia
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 11:33 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] Provisional Response Timer Clarification

Hi

As per V3, definition of  MGProvisionalResponseTimerValue Indicates the
time within which the MGC should expect a Pending Response from the MG
if a transaction cannot be completed.
Initially set to normalMGExecutionTime plus network delay, but may be
lowered.

So the query is , which entity should run the
MGProvisionalResponseTimer-
1) MGProvisionalResponsetimer(value for which is defined above) should
be run at MGC, whereas MG will use the "Normal MG Execution Time"  for
generating any  Pending response.

or
2) MG should use the (MGProvisionalResponsetimerValue minus
NetworkDelay) for generating the pending responses.

If it is (1)  then what is MGC supposed to do after the expiry of
MGProvisionalResponsetimer since the re-transmissions timers are
calculated using exponential Backoff mechanism as suggested in the
Section D.1.3 (V3).

Regards,
Navdeep

***********************  FSS-Private   ***********************
"DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Flextronics Software Systems
Limited (FSS) and is intended solely for the use of the individual to
whom it is addressed. It may contain  privileged or confidential
information and should not be circulated or used for any purpose other
than for what it is intended. If you have received this message in
error, please notify the originator immediately.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you are
strictly  prohibited  from  using, copying, altering, or disclosing the
contents of this message.  FSS  accepts no  responsibility  for loss or
damage arising from the use of  the information transmitted by this
email including damage from virus."