Subject: RE: [Megaco] Error procesing

From: "Wainwright, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 11:14:38 -0800

Are there any examples available of messages with the error descriptor or
pending response being used ?

Thanks
John

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Boyle [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 12:51 PM
To: Wainwright, John; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Megaco] Error procesing

Comments inline. [KJBII]

Kevin 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Wainwright, John
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 11:52 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] Error procesing

I am trying to understand some error processing scenarios using Megaco. If
an incoming request fails due to say a package/event not being supported or
implemented does the reply to this request just contain an error descriptor
with the failure reason ?

[KJBII] Generally speaking, yes.  There are some instances where this would
not be the case, such as optional commands, etc.

If it fails while being processed by the target is it possible for a
'success' reply to be sent initially followed by an autonomous error message
indicating what has happened or does the reply have to wait until all
processing on the incoming message is complete ?

[KJBII] The receiver processes the message first, then indicates success of
failure.  There is no such thing as an "autonomous error" in H.248. Because
replies indicate success or failure of a command, the command must be
executed PRIOR to the reply being returned.  If the receiver needs more time
to return a response, it can send a Pending to the command issuer while it
awaits the completion of the command execution.

Thanks
John

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "B Venkat S.R Swamy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 15:06:40 +0530

Hi

One example each for the error descriptor and Pending case in mentioned
below:

Error descriptor case:
************************************************
MGC to MG
MEGACO/2 [123.123.123.4]:55555 Transaction = 10001 {Context = - {
        Modify = A4444 {
            Events = 2223 {
                al/of(strict=state}
            } } }}

In case MG does not support the "al" package  then it will send error
descriptor for the modify command
MG to MGC
MEGACO/2 [139.85.241.17] Reply = 10001{ Context = - {Modify =A4444  { Error
= 440 { "Unsupported or unknown Package" }  } }}
*****************************************************

Pending case:
*****************************************************
MGC to MG
MEGACO/2 [123.123.123.4]:55555 Transaction = 10002 {
Context=*{AuditValue=t1/*{Audit{Events}}}

The Wildcard request above can resolve to several terminations and might
take a longer time to execute, therefore MG should generate periodic
pending responses to MGC before sending the final response.

MGC to MG
MEGACO/2 [139.85.241.17] Pending = 10002{}
*******************************************************

regards
B Venkat S.R Swamy
Senior Technical Leader
Flextronics Software Systems
Phone:  +91-124- 5176333 extn 5113
Fax: +91-124-2455345
web: www.flextronicssoftware.com

             "Wainwright,                                                  
             John"                                                         
             <john.wainwright@                                          To 
             siemens.com>              "'Kevin Boyle'"                     
             Sent by:                  <[email-masked]>,                
             megaco-bounces@ie         [email-masked]                     
             tf.org                                                     cc 
                                                                           
                                                                   Subject 
             11/09/2005 12:44          RE: [Megaco] Error procesing        
             AM                                                            

Thanks
John

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Boyle [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 12:51 PM
To: Wainwright, John; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Megaco] Error procesing

Comments inline. [KJBII]

Kevin

-----Original Message-----

If it fails while being processed by the target is it possible for a
'success' reply to be sent initially followed by an autonomous error
message
indicating what has happened or does the reply have to wait until all
processing on the incoming message is complete ?

executed PRIOR to the reply being returned.  If the receiver needs more
time

Thanks
John

***********************  FSS-Restricted   ***********************
"DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Flextronics Software
Systems Limited (FSS) and is intended solely for the use of the
individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain  privileged or
confidential information and should not be circulated or used for
any purpose other than for what it is intended. If you have received
this message in  error, please notify the originator immediately.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you are
strictly  prohibited  from  using, copying, altering, or disclosing
the contents of this message.  FSS  accepts no  responsibility  for
loss or damage arising from the use of  the information transmitted
by this email including damage from virus."