Subject: [Megaco] Error procesing

From: "Wainwright, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 08:51:40 -0800

I am trying to understand some error processing scenarios using Megaco.  If
an incoming request fails due to say a package/event not being supported or
implemented does the reply to this request just contain an error descriptor
with the failure reason ?

If it fails while being processed by the target is it possible for a
'success' reply to be sent initially followed by an autonomous error message
indicating what has happened or does the reply have to wait until all
processing on the incoming message is complete ?

Thanks
John

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 13:50:50 -0500

Comments inline. [KJBII]

Kevin 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Wainwright, John
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 11:52 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] Error procesing

I am trying to understand some error processing scenarios using Megaco.
If an incoming request fails due to say a package/event not being
supported or implemented does the reply to this request just contain an
error descriptor with the failure reason ?

[KJBII] Generally speaking, yes.  There are some instances where this
would not be the case, such as optional commands, etc.

If it fails while being processed by the target is it possible for a
'success' reply to be sent initially followed by an autonomous error
message indicating what has happened or does the reply have to wait
until all processing on the incoming message is complete ?

[KJBII] The receiver processes the message first, then indicates success
of failure.  There is no such thing as an "autonomous error" in H.248.
Because replies indicate success or failure of a command, the command
must be executed PRIOR to the reply being returned.  If the receiver
needs more time to return a response, it can send a Pending to the
command issuer while it awaits the completion of the command execution.

Thanks
John