Subject: [Megaco] Megaco use in SBC

From: "Ron Ho" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 11:35:16 -0500

Hi All,

I am confused about how Megaco is to be used in session border controller
setting. Session border controller sits between two IP networks. It does not
work in the traditional gateway sense where one side is always PSTN and the
other IP. Since there is no PSTN, there is no precreated physical
termination and no termination belongs to NULL context. Ephemeral
termination is created only upon receiving the add command. How does the GW
register its ephemeral termination? Or does it need to? I assume that the
only termination to register is root. Am I right?

When an ephemeral termination is subtracted, it will be destroyed
automatically in a normal gateway. Could it be moved to the null context
instead in IP-IP GW? Does it make sense to precreate ephemeral termination
and store them in null context just like physicl termination?

Is there any literture covering Megaco in SBC environment?

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron
_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "Tom-PT Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 12:23:11 -0500

Have a look at the ETSI Gate Control Package, now part of the ETSI 
TISPAN Ia interface definition. References:

http://portal.etsi.org/docbox/TISPAN/Open/NGN-R1%20LATEST%20DRAFTS/03039v105.pdf

and

H.248.37

Ron Ho wrote:
> Hi All,
> 
> I am confused about how Megaco is to be used in session border 
> controller setting. Session border controller sits between two IP 
> networks. It does not work in the traditional gateway sense where one 
> side is always PSTN and the other IP. Since there is no PSTN, there is 
> no precreated physical termination and no termination belongs to NULL 
> context. Ephemeral termination is created only upon receiving the add 
> command. How does the GW register its ephemeral termination? Or does it 
> need to? I assume that the only termination to register is root. Am I right?
> 
> instead in IP-IP GW? Does it make sense to precreate ephemeral 
> termination and store them in null context just like physicl termination?
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>