Subject: RE: [Megaco] Megaco use in SBC

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 15:09:30 -0500

Note that there are other IP-IP gateway definitions besides SBCs.  In
this case, yes, all terminations could be ephemerals, and all
terminations would be created and destroyed as defined in H.248.1.
 
It does not make sense to store ephemeral terminations in NULL as that
would be a violation of H.248.  I do not see why this would be
necessary.  When a termination is created, it exists as long as it is in
a context.  It seems to me that in a function like an SBC, this is
exactly what you would want: the context with the terminations exists as
long as there is a session, and is destroyed when the session completes.
 
Kevin

________________________________

	From: Ron Ho [mailto:[email-masked]] 
	Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 11:35 AM
	To: [email-masked]
	Subject: [Megaco] Megaco use in SBC

	Hi All,
	
	I am confused about how Megaco is to be used in session border
controller setting. Session border controller sits between two IP
networks. It does not work in the traditional gateway sense where one
side is always PSTN and the other IP. Since there is no PSTN, there is
no precreated physical termination and no termination belongs to NULL
context. Ephemeral termination is created only upon receiving the add
command. How does the GW register its ephemeral termination? Or does it
need to? I assume that the only termination to register is root. Am I
right?
	
	When an ephemeral termination is subtracted, it will be
destroyed automatically in a normal gateway. Could it be moved to the
null context instead in IP-IP GW? Does it make sense to precreate
ephemeral termination and store them in null context just like physicl
termination?
	
	Is there any literture covering Megaco in SBC environment?
	
	Your help is much appreciated.
	
	Thanks,
	Ron

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "Nenad Milidrag" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 15:23:40 -0500

Hi All,

I am sorry for interrupting but to me this scenario does not fit quite
well in what I know about Megaco/H.248.  I would appreciate if somebody
could explain.

Usually, physical termination, that was previously registered with
controller (MGC or Call agent), will go off-hook dial the number get add
command from controller and ephemeral termination will be created.  If
there is no physical termination how is going off-hook?  Who is going to
be dialed?  How is call initiated?
Is there a document that talks about this or perhaps call-flow example?

Thank you,

Nenad 

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Boyle [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 3:10 PM
To: Ron Ho; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Megaco] Megaco use in SBC

 
Kevin

	Hi All,

	

	Thanks,
	Ron