Subject: [Megaco] MG termination physically broken

From: "Oikonomou, Ioannis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 13:53:33 +0300

Hello,
 
Is an MG supposed to check the physical connection towards its PSTN subscribers?
For instance, if a subscriber unplugs his telephone device from the wall jack (i.e. physical connection is therefore broken), should the MG send a ServiceChange(Forced) for this termination indicating it as "Out-of-service"?
As "MG" I'm referring to Access Gateways (residential or not) that control subscribers; I'm not referring to Trunking Gateways.
 
The H.248 standard says that:
 
The ServiceStates property describes the overall state of the termination (not stream-specific).  A Termination can be in one of the following states: "test", "out of service", or "in service".  The "test" state indicates that the termination is being tested. The state "out of service" indicates that the termination cannot be used for traffic.  The state "in service" indicates that a termination can be used or is being used for normal traffic.  "in service" is the default state. 

My opinion is that checking of the physical connection is indeed an MG task and therefore the MG should report to the MGC when a telephone device gets unplugged, by sending a ServiceChange(Forced) message for the respective physical termination.
 
Thank you in advance,
Ioannis Oikonomou
 
MG termination physically broken
 
________________________________

*	To: Pascal Lambers <pascal.lambers at pandora.be <mailto:[email-masked]> >, megaco at ietf.org <mailto:[email-masked]>  
*	Subject: RE: [Megaco] MG termination physically broken 
*	From: "Kevin Boyle" <kboyle at nortelnetworks.com <mailto:[email-masked]> > 
*	Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 16:01:17 -0400 
*	List-help: <mailto:[email-masked]?subject=help> 
*	List-id: Media Gateway Control <megaco.ietf.org> 
*	List-post: <mailto:[email-masked]> 
*	List-subscribe: <https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco>, <mailto:[email-masked]?subject=subscribe> 
*	List-unsubscribe: <https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco>, <mailto:[email-masked]?subject=unsubscribe> 
*	Sender: megaco-bounces at ietf.org <mailto:[email-masked]>  

________________________________

Just because a term is out of service doesn't mean the MG should act as if
it doesn't exist.  If the term starts having trouble, the MG would send a
ServiceChange to take it OOS.  The MG still has to respond to commands for
that term, either by performing the commands, or sending errors back.
 
Kevin

  _____  

From: Pascal Lambers [mailto:pascal.lambers at pandora.be] 
Sent: Friday, August 20, 2004 1:04 PM
To: megaco at ietf.org
Subject: [Megaco] MG termination physically broken

Hello,
 
If a Termination on a Mediagateway has a physical or other permanent
problem, can the MGC count on the MG answering to messages for that
termination as long as the MG itself and the network are OK ?
 
This is an important question because a MGC must have a way of finding out
whether only that termination is in trouble or whether the whole MG is in
trouble....
 
Kind regards,
Pascal

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
Megaco at ietf.org
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

________________________________

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "Dmitry Pavlenko" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 17:29:24 +0600

Hi

from the point of view of a line card: "unplugged" is the same as "plugged"
phone when its hook is on (i.e. the resistance is high in these both cases).

What you should obviously check - are hazardous voltages (for example: 220
AC/Volts from an outlet). In this case the MG should send a ServiceChange
with an explanation what happend to the termination.

Another point to check is: when a line(a termination) changes its state from
on-hook to off-hook very frequently (i.e. it means - something is wrong). A
ServiceChange also should be sent in this case.

When a subscriber unpluges his telephone - the MG will not be able to detect
this state. So, in my opinion: no ServiceChange is needed in this case.

Best Regards,
Dmitry Pavlenko

----- Original Message -----
From: "Oikonomou, Ioannis" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, June 16, 2006 4:53 PM
Subject: [Megaco] MG termination physically broken

Hello,

Is an MG supposed to check the physical connection towards its PSTN
subscribers?
For instance, if a subscriber unplugs his telephone device from the wall
jack (i.e. physical connection is therefore broken), should the MG send a
ServiceChange(Forced) for this termination indicating it as
"Out-of-service"?
As "MG" I'm referring to Access Gateways (residential or not) that control
subscribers; I'm not referring to Trunking Gateways.

The ServiceStates property describes the overall state of the termination
(not stream-specific).  A Termination can be in one of the following states:
"test", "out of service", or "in service".  The "test" state indicates that
the termination is being tested. The state "out of service" indicates that
the termination cannot be used for traffic.  The state "in service"
indicates that a termination can be used or is being used for normal
traffic.  "in service" is the default state.

My opinion is that checking of the physical connection is indeed an MG task
and therefore the MG should report to the MGC when a telephone device gets
unplugged, by sending a ServiceChange(Forced) message for the respective
physical termination.

Thank you in advance,
Ioannis Oikonomou

* To: Pascal Lambers <pascal.lambers at pandora.be
<mailto:[email-masked]> >, megaco at ietf.org
<mailto:[email-masked]>
* Subject: RE: [Megaco] MG termination physically broken
* From: "Kevin Boyle" <kboyle at nortelnetworks.com
<mailto:[email-masked]> >
* Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 16:01:17 -0400
* List-help: <mailto:[email-masked]?subject=help>
* List-id: Media Gateway Control <megaco.ietf.org>
* List-post: <mailto:[email-masked]>
* List-subscribe: <https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco>,
<mailto:[email-masked]?subject=subscribe>
* List-unsubscribe: <https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco>,
<mailto:[email-masked]?subject=unsubscribe>
* Sender: megaco-bounces at ietf.org <mailto:[email-masked]>

Kevin

  _____

Hello,

Kind regards,
Pascal