Subject: [Megaco] service change methods

From: "Nicolas Emiliani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 10:52:37 -0300

Hi list !
I have some doubts aboout two of the methods of the service change .

The RFC says :

1) Graceful - indicates that the specified Terminations will be taken
     out of service after the specified ServiceChangeDelay; established
     connections are not yet affected, but the Media Gateway Controller
     should refrain from establishing new connections and should
     attempt to gracefully tear down existing connections on the
     Termination(s) affected by the serviceChange command. The MG
     should set termination serviceState at the expiry of
     ServiceChangeDelay or the removal of the termination from an
     active context (whichever is first), to "out of service".

What I understand is thath after the delay the MG sets the termintion to OUT
OF SERVICE,
what I don't understand is " or the removal of the termination from an
active context (whichever is first), to "out of service" "

Does this mean that if i send a SC with method graceful to a termination
that is in an active context, and I don't clean
anything before the expiry of the delay,  that the MG should remove the
termination from the context ?
what about ephemeral terms ? do they get substracted?

  2) Forced - indicates that the specified Terminations were taken
     abruptly out of service and any established connections associated
     with them were lost. The MGC is responsible for cleaning up the
     context (if any) with which the failed termination is associated.
     At a minimum the termination shall be subtracted from the context.
     The termination serviceState should be "out of service".

And here it says that the MGC is in charge of the clean up of the context.
The question is, what if the term was
in an active context and I take it out of service whith method forced  and I
don't clean the context ? is it logical for a
termination to be OUT OF SERVICE and in a context ? what should be the
reaction from the MG ?

Thanks

Nicolas.
_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: Ashish Singh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 11:34:02 -0700

Nicolas,

First of all, MG should not perform cleanup of context on its own as it 
will bring inconsistency b/w MGC and MG. Moreover, MGC may wish to 
collect statistics or perform come more actions before subtracting the 
termination from context.

For Graceful method, MG should set the termination' service state to 
Out-of-service at the expiry of the timer. If MGC subtracts the term 
before timer expiry, MG should bring the term in NULL context and mark 
it as OOS.

For Forced method, MG should set the termination' service state to 
Out-of-service and wait for MGC to send Subtract.

There is one more case, where term, which is in NULL context, is brought 
to OOS state. In this case as well, MG should not de-active any 
descriptor (e.g. signals/events) and ideally MGC should send empty 
descriptors to perform term cleanup. But in this case, even if MG 
performs cleanup on its own, its ok as term is not in a call.

Thanks
Ashish

Nicolas Emiliani wrote:
> What I understand is thath after the delay the MG sets the termintion 
> to OUT OF SERVICE,
> Does this mean that if i send a SC with method graceful to a 
> termination that is in an active context, and I don't clean
> anything before the expiry of the delay,  that the MG should remove 
> the termination from the context ?
> And here it says that the MGC is in charge of the clean up of the 
> context. The question is, what if the term was
> in an active context and I take it out of service whith method forced  
> and I don't clean the context ? is it logical for a
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>