Subject: [Megaco] ISDN TerminatioID

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 16:06:55 +0100

I would like to know if there is a standard name to be used by B channels 
of a ISDN port when the Megaco interface has to handle them.

regards

Ronald Behar Aldana
CTAC Wireline Spain
+34 913305322

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: Terry Howe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 08:34:34 -0700

On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 16:06 +0100, [email-masked]
wrote:
> 
> I would like to know if there is a standard name to be used by B
> channels of a ISDN port when the Megaco interface has to handle them. 

What ever is convenient for the implementation, so what ever can be
converted easily and looked up in a port map.

Terry Howe
http://www.tiptopsoftwarecompany.com/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 08:27:20 +0100

Do agree to Terry in case of a MG with B channels as solely type of
physical Terminations.
However, 100% ISDN B channels is rather the exeptional case and not the
general case for MG deployments in real PSTN/ISDN environments.
Saying that, such an Residential/Access MG must support in addition also
analog lines and/or be capable in differing between ISDN BRI's and PRI's.

>From that perspective, a "pre-fix" in the TerminationID could be very
beneficial.
Such a Termination naming scheme is e.g. defined in ETSI ES 283 002, the
H.248 RAGW Profile Version 1.
Below an excerpt.

- Albrecht

ETSI ES 283 002 V1.1.1 (2005-06)
   PSTN/ISDN Emulation Subsystem (PES);
   NGN Release 1 H.248 Profile for controlling Access
   and Residentail Gateways

5.6.1 Termination names
The termination ID structure is provisioned in the MGC and MG and is known
by the MG and the MGC at or before start up. A hierarchical naming
structure is recommended for physical terminations.

For example, the naming convention for physical terminations representing
analog lines could be defined as follows:

  al/<subrack>/<card>/<port>

Where, "al/" is a fixed prefix, <subrack>, <card> and <port> are non-zero
integer values.

According to this naming scheme, an analog line connected on port 2 of card
1 in subrack 22 would be referred to as al/22/1/2.

A similar structure may also be used for ISDN Basic Access and Primary Rate
Access, using different prefixes: "ba/" for Basic Access and "pra/" for
Primary Rate Access. In such cases, the naming structure shall end with a
component identifying a B channel.

For example the naming convention for physical terminations representing
ISDN Basic Accesses may be defined as follows:

  ba/<subrack>/<card>/<port>/<channel>

Where, "ba/" is a fixed prefix, <subrack>, <card> and <port> are non-zero
integer values and <channel> shall uniquely identify each of the 2 B
channels.

According to this naming scheme, an ISDN Basic Access B channel number 1
connected on port 7 of card 3 in

subrack 15 would be referred to as ba/15/3/7/1.

Similarly the naming convention for physical terminations representing ISDN
Primary Rate Accesses may be defined as follows:

  pra/<subrack>/<card>/<port>/<channel>

Where, "pra/" is a fixed prefix, <subrack>, <card> and <port> are non-zero
integer values and <channel> shall uniquely identify each of the ISDN-PRA B
channels. The channel number shall be in the range 1 to 15 or 17 to 31
which identifies the time slot on the E1 used for transporting the "B"
channel.

According to this naming scheme, an ISDN Primary Rate Access B channel
carried in Time Slot 20 connected on port 3 of card 9 in subrack 5 would be
referred to as pra/5/9/3/20.

                      Terry Howe                                                                                                     
                      <terry@jeeptech.         To:      [email-masked]                                        
                      com>                     cc:      [email-masked]                                                              
                                               Subject: Re: [Megaco] ISDN TerminatioID                                               
                      16.01.2007 16:34                                                                                               
                      Please respond                                                                                                 
                      to terry                                                                                                       

Terry Howe