Subject: [Megaco] H.248 Recommendations

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 09:59:25 +1100

Hello all,

For those who have had trouble accessing ITU H.248 documents and are 
relying old text based ones the ITU now have a free download trial. See:
http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/newslog/Trial+Period+For+Free+ITUT+Recommendations+Starts.aspx

The H.248.x series recommendations can be found at:
http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-H/en

Happy downloading!

Christian

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "John Wainwright" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 15:03:21 -0600

Can I get clarification of one issue regarding the events descriptor.
If I have a termination with events 'armed' such as al/on or al/of and
the termination is in a call, then after processing a Subtract and the
termination going into the NULL context are the events still 'armed'
since no new events descriptor has yet arrived to replace the existing
one?

Is this stated clearly in the standards document?

Thanks
John

---

From: "Tom-PT Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 17:20:11 -0500

Subtract puts everything back to default/provisioned values. This is 
stated clearly in the first paragraph of section 6.2.4.

---

From: "John Wainwright" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 16:28:38 -0600

So the default state for the events descriptor implies no events are
'armed' meaning any event currently 'armed' is now turned off ?

---

From: "Tom-PT Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 19:50:20 -0500

Correct, unless the MG is configured otherwise for that termination. I 
haven't heard of anyone doing such configuration -- it's just a 
theoretical possibility.

---

From: "Wayne Cutler \(CV/ETL\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 10:03:00 +0100

The default setting (to which the Events Desc is returned when the termination returns to the null cotext) can be 
anything you want it to be. In the case of an analogue line GW, it is clearly silly to have nothing armed - else on hooks etc. wouldn't be reported. So, for such a GW, the default descriptor could be (for example) armed to report an off-hook transition. 

________________________________

From: Tom-PT Taylor [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Fri 26/01/2007 00:50
To: John Wainwright
Cc: megaco ietf
Subject: Re: [Megaco] Events descriptor

---

From: "shailesh redkar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 11:34:25 +0000

Hi All,

H.248.1 states

" A Signals Descriptor is a parameter that contains the set of signals that the Media Gateway is asked to apply to a termination. A Signals Descriptor contains a number of signals and/or sequential signal lists. A Signals Descriptor may contain zero signals and sequential signal lists. Support of sequential signal lists is optional. "

MG generates tones to POTs according to the signal descriptor.

What is the significance of it in the IP world with IP phones or are these included for compatiblity with old POTs ?

Regards

SR

Tickle your funny bone with Rahul Phondke

---

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 08:18:51 -0500

Recall that any such provisioning would need to be done on both the MG
and the MGC.  If the MGC doesn't know that the MG is preconfigured to
report certain events, it is within its rights to return an Error
Descriptor in response to those Notify Commands.

Kevin 

-----Original Message-----
From: Wayne Cutler (CV/ETL) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, January 26, 2007 4:03 AM
To: Taylor, Tom-PT (CAR:AR00); John Wainwright
Cc: megaco ietf
Subject: RE: [Megaco] Events descriptor

The default setting (to which the Events Desc is returned when the
termination returns to the null cotext) can be anything you want it to
be. In the case of an analogue line GW, it is clearly silly to have
nothing armed - else on hooks etc. wouldn't be reported. So, for such a
GW, the default descriptor could be (for example) armed to report an
off-hook transition. 

John Wainwright wrote:
>> If I have a termination with events 'armed' such as al/on or al/of 
>> and the termination is in a call, then after processing a Subtract 
>> and the termination going into the NULL context are the events still
'armed'
>> since no new events descriptor has yet arrived to replace the 
>> existing one?
>>

---

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 08:21:15 -0500

MGs would produce the signals requested on any termination upon which
they are requested to do so.  Whether the termination is TDM or IP,
physical or ephemeral is irrelevant.  In the case of an IP ephemeral
termination, the signal would be produced and encoded for broadcast over
the IP network (toward the exterior of the context).
 
Kevin

From: shailesh redkar [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, January 26, 2007 6:34 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] Signals on IP termination.

Hi All,

  H.248.1 states 

" A Signals Descriptor is a parameter that contains the set of signals
that the Media Gateway is asked to apply to a termination. A Signals
Descriptor contains a number of signals and/or sequential signal lists.
A Signals Descriptor may contain zero signals and sequential signal
lists. Support of sequential signal lists is optional. " 

What is the significance of it in the IP world with IP phones or are
these included for compatiblity with old POTs ?

Regards

SR

Tickle your funny bone with Rahul Phondke
<http://g.msn.com/8HMAENIN/2731??PS=47575>

---

From: "Wayne Cutler \(CV/ETL\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 14:23:27 +0100

Agreed. Such a "common view" would typically be part of a commonly supported profile. 
 
Wayne 

From: Kevin Boyle [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Fri 26/01/2007 13:18
To: Wayne Cutler (CV/ETL); Tom-PT Taylor; John Wainwright
Cc: megaco ietf
Subject: RE: [Megaco] Events descriptor

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: Wayne Cutler (CV/ETL) [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, January 26, 2007 4:03 AM
To: Taylor, Tom-PT (CAR:AR00); John Wainwright
Cc: megaco ietf
Subject: RE: [Megaco] Events descriptor

'armed'

---

From: Ashish Singh <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 10:40:21 -0800

Signals are not only used for generating tones. It is also used by MGC 
to instruct MG for taking any action on the termination. e.g. 
ipnapt/latch (Latching to the incoming media).

Thanks
Ashish

shailesh redkar wrote:
> Descriptor contains a number of signals and/or sequential signal 
> lists. A Signals Descriptor may contain zero signals and sequential 
> signal lists. Support of sequential signal lists is optional. "
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: rahamed <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 23:25:20 -0800 (PST)

Does it make any sense to have a termination without any events armed on it ?
I mean there should be events armed on a physical termination to detect the
off-hook event. Please let me know in what conditions (out of a call) the MG
dosent look for any events on the termination.

-- 
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/H.248-Recommendations-tf3037268.html#a8646975
Sent from the IETF - Megaco mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

---

From: Dheeraj Gupta <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 12:12:46 -0800

If GW is acting as a SS7 Trunking gateway, MG is not required to detect
events. In this case, MGC might be getting signaling through SG. So in this
scenario, MG is not required to be armed with Events descriptor.

Thanks,
Dheeraj Gupta
Aricent

-----Original Message-----
From: rahamed [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2007 11:25 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Megaco] Events descriptor

Does it make any sense to have a termination without any events armed on it
?
I mean there should be events armed on a physical termination to detect the
off-hook event. Please let me know in what conditions (out of a call) the MG
dosent look for any events on the termination.

'armed'

--
View this message in context:
http://www.nabble.com/H.248-Recommendations-tf3037268.html#a8646975
Sent from the IETF - Megaco mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

---

From: "resalath ahamed" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 19:55:30 -0600

Dheeraj,

For a trunking GWY that has SS7 and ISDN ( via SCTP) support there is no
need to arm events. For INBAND signalling there must be a event armed to
detect the offhook.

If there are no events armed by the MGC after the context is subtracted that
means the MGC assumes off hook when a notify for sieze is received a the MGC
( this is an optional setting for individual GWY)

Regards,
Resalath Ahamed