Subject: [Mentoring-coordinators] Volunteering to be a mentor

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 17:49:40 -0400

Folks, this application is partially a challenge to you but also
serious.  I am Nomcom eligible (see FAQ #5) but question that as
a requirement for many of the same reasons that have recently
been discussed on the Nomcom and IETF lists.  In addition, while
I doubt that an IAB or IAOC member (and still less likely an
IESG one) would have the time, I don't see why they should be
excluded a priori, which "Nomcom eligible" does.   See below for
the other interesting issue.

    First name:     			John

    Last name:  			Klensin

    Email address:              [email-masked]

    Affiliation:                None (self-employed)

    Country in which you are based:  USA

    Gender:				Yes

    IETF area(s) of expertise:	Applications, procedures,
history, policy, a few IAB Programs, little bits of this and
that.

    IETF WGs that you are familiar with:  
							IDNA, EAI, PRECIS, WEIRDS, other mail and i18n stuff,...

    How many years have you been participating in the IETF?
							IETF proper, around 25, the first several of which were
entirely remote.  Somewhat longer for its predecessors.  The
snippy answer would be "longer than any of you".

    What other SDOs and/or technical activities do you engage in?
							Historically, programming languages in ANSI/X3 and INCITS
and ISO; scientific, bibliographic, and image databases, data
interchange, and metadata, especially for data about the
nutrient composition of foods eaten by humans and architectural
images; some work with or on ITU (going back 40-odd years).

    What languages other than English would you be comfortable
conversing in with your mentee?			Comfortable?  None in any
given month.

    Do you plan to attend the newcomers' meet-and-greet on
Sunday at 16:00?
							Not a current WG Chair, so not invited

    Do you plan to attend the welcome reception on Sunday at
17:00?
							Probably not -- see below.

    Any other info you'd like to share:
That "other interesting issue" is that, at least as of now, it
seems very unlikely that I will be physically present in Berlin.
However, to the extent to which you are interested in newcomers
who cannot reasonably expect to be at every meeting, I might be
appropriate as a remote mentor even if I can't introduce people
f2f or go drinking with them in Berlin.  I'd encourage you to at
least think about it.

I also note with some amusement that the entire coordination
group consists of while males of apparently European descent.
:-(

best,
   john