Subject: [Mentoring-coordinators] requesting a mentor

From: "Bajpai, Vaibhav" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 09:48:13 +0000

Full name: Vaibhav Bajpai
Email address: [email-masked]
Affiliation: Jacobs University Bremen
Country in which you are based: Germany
Gender: Male
Is this your first IETF? Yes!
If not, how many IETF meetings have you attended? -
What technical topic(s) brought you to the IETF?

In this particular order:

 - Primarily Contributions in LMAP [1]

    - As part of the Leone Consortium, I am contributing towards a draft that
      defines how a REST architectural style can be used on top of HTTP as a
      LMAP protocol. We shall ask for a slot on this soon ...

 - Solicitated Presentation Slot at V6OPS [2]

    - Personally, I am working on defining metrics to measure IPv6 performance
      from the residential gateway. I don't know if it also fits within the
      IPPM scope of work.

    - Solicitating a presentation slot to present preliminary results
      of my PhD work on measuring the effectiveness of happy eyeballs. I met
      Andrew Yourtchenko at RIPE 66 in May, 2013.

 - Solicitated Presentation Slot at NetFlow/IPFIX NMRG Workshop [3]

    - Requested a presentation slot to present my masters thesis work. I have
      developed a tool, NFQL, that can process and analyze NetFlow datasets.
      The tool has recently received IPFIX support.

[1] https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lmap
[2] http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/v6ops/charter
[3] http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/nmrg/current/msg01470.html

IETF area(s) of interest, if known (see http://www.ietf.org/iesg/area.html for
more info):

In this particular order:

  - operations and management area
  - transport area
  - real-time applications and networking area
  - applications area

IETF working groups of interest, if known: (see http://www.ietf.org/wg/ for
more info):

In this particular order:

  - operations and management area: lmap [4], v6ops [5], netconf [6].
  - transport area: ippm [7],  alto [8], mptcp [9]
  - real-time applications and networking area: xrblock [10]
  - applications area: json [11]

[4] http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/lmap
[5] http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/v6ops
[6] http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/netconf
[7] http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/ippm
[8] http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/alto
[9] http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/mptcp
[10] http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/xrblock
[11] http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/json

What other SDOs and/or technical activities do you engage in?

- LMAP testbed: I have implemented a LMAP testbed in the lab. It consits of a
  LMAP controller and LMAP collector. A measurement agent can bootstrap with
  the controller and send measurement results to the collector. It was
  implemented to ascertain the feasibility of HTTP as a LMAP protocol. The
  interaction and API is based on my personal understanding, since things are
  yet to be standardized.

- ncclient v1.1 support [12]; ncclient is a Python library that facilitates
  client-side scripting and application development around the NETCONF
  protocol. I added NETCONF v1.1 support, that allows ncclient to handle
  chunked frames [RFC 6242]. We tested the implementation at the NETCONF
  interoperability testing event at IETF 85, Atlanta. ncclient was tested
  with ConfD, Yuma and libnetconf servers. I was not present at IETF 85.

[12] https://github.com/vbajpai/ncclient

- netconf over TLS implementation: As a side-project, I am trying to add
  netconf over TLS support to an open-source NETCONF server and client
  implementation. This aligns well with [13]. I don't know if NETCONF over TLS
  will be discussed in the upcoming netconf WG meeting.

[13] http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-netconf-rfc5539bis-03.txt

What are your preferred conversational language(s), if not English? English

Would you like to be paired with a mentor who speaks your preferred
language(s), if possible? [Yes/No/Indifferent] English

Do you have a preference as to your mentor's gender? [M/F/Either] Either

Do you plan to attend the newcomers' meet-and-greet on Sunday at 16:00? Yes!

Do you plan to attend the welcome reception on Sunday at 17:00? Yes!

Any other info you'd like to share:

I know some IETF people. It would be nice to be introduced to somebody outside
of this group, so that I can get in touch with newer people.

- Jürgen Schönwälder:  My primary supervisor and mentor, Jacobs University
- Philip Eardley: BT
- Marcelo Bagnulo: UC3M
- Oliver Bonaventure: UC Louvaine
- Trevor Burbridge: BT
- Andrea Soppera: BT
- Jörg Ott: Aalto University
- Pasi Sarohalti: Aalto University