Subject: [MEXT] I-D Action:draft-ietf-mext-nemo-pd-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 12:00:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Mobility EXTensions for IPv6 Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation for NEMO
	Author(s)       : R. Droms, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-mext-nemo-pd-02.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2009-03-06

One aspect of network mobility support is the assignment of a prefix
or prefixes to a Mobile Router (MR) for use on the links in the
Mobile Network.  DHCPv6 prefix delegation can be used for this
configuration task.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mext-nemo-pd-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: George Tsirtsis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 15:28:55 +0000

Ralph et.al.,

Some comments on the draft, which I think is generally in good shape.

In Section 3 it says:
"   The HA and MR exchange DHCPv6PD protocol messages through the tunnel
   connecting them.  The tunnel acts as the link labeled "DSL to
   subscriber premises" in figure 1 of the DHCPv6PD specification."

Assuming I am understanding the intention here, I think it is should
be made more clear that this MR-HA tunnel referred to here is the
result of a regular RFC3775 registration, as opposed to a tunnel say
set-up manually or otherwise. This then also affects section 3.5.
(Selecting an HA that provides DHCPv6PD), which currently seems to
imply that such selection is a simple matter of querying different
HAs. This is of course only the case if the MR is at its home link and
its querying HAs on-link. If the HA selection is performed over
foreign links i.e., over MR-HA tunnels, each query requires MIPv6
registration (including IKE exchange and BUs) ... which is a bit more
involved. I think thats fine but it needs to be stated in section 3.5

"3.3.2.  Transmission of DHCPv6 messages

   In this configuration, when the DHCPv6 client in the MR sends a
   message, it hands the message to the DHCPv6 relay agent in the MR.
   The way in which this handoff takes place is beyond the scope of this
   document. "

I think the above needs to be rephrased a bit. It is not clear what
"in this configuration" refers to. it is also a bit confusing to talk
about "handoff" here, since this has specific connotations in the
context of Mobile IPv6. Note that similar language is used in 3.3.3.

The same section continues:
" The relay agent encapsulates the message from the client
   according to RFC 3315 in a Relay-forward message and sends the
   resulting DHCPv6 message to the HA.  The relay agent sets the fields
   in the Relay-forward message as follows:

   msg-type       RELAY-FORW

   hop-count      1

   link-address   A non-link-local address from the MR interface to the
                  tunnel between the HA and MR

   peer-address   A non-link-local address from the MR interface to the
                  tunnel between the HA and MR

   options        MUST include a "Relay Message option" [RFC3315]; MAY
                  include other options added by the relay agent."

Don't we have specific suggestions about what these link-address and
peer-address are supposed to be set to? e.g., HoA and HA address
correspondingly? or what else?

Thanks
George

2009/3/6  <[email-masked]>:
> _______________________________________________
> MEXT mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mext
>
>

---

From: George Tsirtsis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 11:56:52 -0400

Ralph et.al.,

(I initially accidentally sent this to id-announce list and although I
copied mext list I am not sure it got there. Anyway I re-send it here
so that any discussion does not also CC the wrong lists)

In Section 3 it says:

  msg-type       RELAY-FORW

  hop-count      1

Thanks
George

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 17:12:11 -0700

Thanks, George.  We're collecting input and we'll publish one last  
revision before submitting it to the IESG.

- Ralph

---

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 08:00:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Ralph,
  Congratulations on your Int-Area AD nomination.
As you know there were several other comments on nemo-pd draft.
Would you please spare a few of your replies to those comments/commenters as well?

Regards,

Behcet

________________________________
From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
To: George Tsirtsis <[email-masked]>
Cc: mext <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 7:12:11 PM
Subject: Re: [MEXT] I-D Action:draft-ietf-mext-nemo-pd-02.txt

- Ralph