Subject: [MEXT] MEXT charter for the IESG

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 03:18:57 -0400

As far as I can tell, this version of the charter corresponds to the 
discussions we have had in the working group:

Mobility EXTensions for IPv6 (mext)
 ---------------------------------------------
 Status: Active Working Group
 Last updated: 2010-08-26
 
Chairs:
  Marcelo Bagnulo <[email-masked]>
  Julien Laganier <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Directors:
  Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
  Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Advisor:
  Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
  General Discussion: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mext
  Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/mext

Description of Working Group:

Mobile IPv6 specifies routing support which permits an IPv6 host to 
continue using its home address as it moves around the Internet, 
enabling continuity of sessions. Mobile IPv6 supports transparency above 
the IP layer, including maintenance of active transport level sessions. 
In addition, network mobility (NEMO) mechanisms built on top of Mobile 
IPv6 allow managing the mobility of an entire network, as it changes its 
point of attachment to the Internet. The base specifications consist of:

o RFC 3775 (Mobile IPv6)
o RFC 3963 (NEMO)
o RFC 4877 (Mobile IPv6 Operation with IKEv2)
o RFC 5555 (Dual Stack Mobile IPv6)
o RFC 5648 (Multiple Care-of Addresses Registration)
o RFC 5846 (Binding Revocation)
o RFC-to-be (Flow Binding Policy Transport and Flow Binding Policy Format)

The MEXT Working Group continues the work of the former MIP6, NEMO, and 
MONAMI6 Working Groups.

The primary goal of MEXT will be to enhance base IPv6 mobility by 
continuing work on developments that are required for wide-scale 
deployments and specific deployment scenarios. Additionally, the working 
group will ensure that any issues identified by implementation and 
interoperability experience are addressed, and that the base 
specifications are maintained. The group will also produce informational 
documentation, such as design rationale documents or description of 
specific issues within the protocol.

The MEXT WG will also explore experimental alternative security 
mechanisms. The security mechanism specified in the existing standard 
track RFCs (RFC3775bis, RFC4877) remains the mandatory to implement 
mechanism that guarantees interoperability between different 
implementations. The MEXT WG is chartered to deliver one or more 
experimental alternative mechanisms. All the alternative solutions will 
be published as experimental RFCs.

In addition, the working group will bring to completion earlier work on 
prefix delegation for NEMO, RADIUS  support for Mobile IPv6, Mobile IPv6 
operation with firewalls, and home agent reliability specifications.

Work items related to base specification maintenance include: Create and 
maintain issue lists that are generated on the basis of implementation 
and interoperability experience. Address specific issues with specific 
updates or revisions of the base specification. Currently known specific 
issues include support for overlapping (private) IPv4 home addresses, 
negotiation of the protection required for payload traffic, and 
discovery of the home agent address in IPv4-only networks.

Goals and Milestones:

Dec 2010  Submit the final doc on Prefix Delegation for NEMO to the 
IESG, for Proposed Standard
Dec 2010  Submit the I-D 'RADIUS Mobile IPv6 Support' to IESG for 
publication as a proposed standard.
Dec 2010  Submit I-D(s) related to specific updates and corrections of 
RFC 3775 to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard.
Jan 2011  Submit I-D 'Home agent reliability' to IESG for publication as 
a Proposed Standard.
Jan 2011  Submit I-D 'Mobile IPv6 Operation with Firewalls' to IESG for 
publication as Informational.
Aug 2011  Submit I-Ds on alternative security mechanisms to the IESG for 
publication as Experimental.
Sep 2011  Submit I-D 'Overlapping IPv4 address support' to IESG for 
publication as Proposed Standard.
Sep 2011  Submit I-D 'Home agent discovery in IPv4-only networks via 
DHCP' to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard.
Dec 2011  Submit I-D 'Negotiation of the protection for payload traffic' 
to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard.

---

From: Thierry Ernst <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 18:36:58 +0200

Dear all,

I'm just wondering what is the fate of the former working group items / 
drafts regarding multihoming problem statement and NEMO RO requirements ?

Please forgive my naive question should the group made any decision on this.

Regards,
Thierry.

On 26/08/10 09:18, Jari Arkko wrote:
> enabling continuity of sessions. Mobile IPv6 supports transparency 
> above the IP layer, including maintenance of active transport level 
> sessions. In addition, network mobility (NEMO) mechanisms built on top 
> of Mobile IPv6 allow managing the mobility of an entire network, as it 
> changes its point of attachment to the Internet. The base 
> specifications consist of:
>
> o RFC 3775 (Mobile IPv6)
> o RFC 3963 (NEMO)
> The MEXT Working Group continues the work of the former MIP6, NEMO, 
> and MONAMI6 Working Groups.
>
> deployments and specific deployment scenarios. Additionally, the 
> working group will ensure that any issues identified by implementation 
> and interoperability experience are addressed, and that the base 
> specifications are maintained. The group will also produce 
> informational documentation, such as design rationale documents or 
> description of specific issues within the protocol.
>
> experimental alternative mechanisms. All the alternative solutions 
> will be published as experimental RFCs.
>
> In addition, the working group will bring to completion earlier work 
> on prefix delegation for NEMO, RADIUS  support for Mobile IPv6, Mobile 
> IPv6 operation with firewalls, and home agent reliability specifications.
>
> Work items related to base specification maintenance include: Create 
> and maintain issue lists that are generated on the basis of 
> implementation and interoperability experience. Address specific 
> issues with specific updates or revisions of the base specification. 
> Currently known specific issues include support for overlapping 
> (private) IPv4 home addresses, negotiation of the protection required 
> for payload traffic, and discovery of the home agent address in 
> IPv4-only networks.
>
> Goals and Milestones:
>
> Jan 2011  Submit I-D 'Home agent reliability' to IESG for publication 
> as a Proposed Standard.
> Jan 2011  Submit I-D 'Mobile IPv6 Operation with Firewalls' to IESG 
> for publication as Informational.
> Aug 2011  Submit I-Ds on alternative security mechanisms to the IESG 
> for publication as Experimental.
> Dec 2011  Submit I-D 'Negotiation of the protection for payload 
> traffic' to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard.
>
> _______________________________________________
> MEXT mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mext