Subject: [MIB-DOCTORS] duplicate registry !?

From: "Wijnen, Bert \(Bert\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 16:57:58 +0200

Dear IANA,

while reviewing some internet draft, I ran into some
duplication of registry information (or so I think).

    http://www.iana.org/assignments/snmp-number-spaces.

seems correct.

But I also find http://www.iana.org/assignments/smi-numbers 
and then under "SNMP Management Architecture:" it lists more
or less the same information.

The  http://www.iana.org/assignments/snmp-number-spaces uses current
RFCs as references. The http://www.iana.org/assignments/smi-numbers uses
old RFC226x as references.

Not sure what the best solution is. But probably keep
 http://www.iana.org/assignments/snmp-number-spaces, because it is
pointed to
from, http://www.iana.org/numbers.html#S under:
 
   Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) Number Spaces 
   Processing Models RFC2571, RFC3411 Standards track document (section
6.2) 
   Security Models RFC2571, RFC3411 Standards track document (section
6.1) 
   SnmpEngineID Formats RFC2571, RFC3411 Standards track document
(section 6.3) 

Taking away the SNMP Management Architecture from 
http://www.iana.org/assignments/smi-numbers  may not be smart. After
all,
there may be citations/references to it from various places. Maybe best
to
replace that part with a ptr to
http://www.iana.org/assignments/snmp-number-spaces

Let me know if I can be of more help.

Bert Wijnen 

p.s. The information that seems "duplicated" is:

SNMP Management Architecture:

Security Subsystem (SnmpSecurityModel)

Decimal   Name                Description                     References
-------   ----                -----------                     ----------
      0  reserved for 'any'                                    [RFC2261]
      1  reserved for SNMPv1                                   [RFC2261]
      2  reserved for SNMPv2c                                  [RFC2261]
      3  User-Based Security Model (USM)                       [RFC221]
  4-255  Unassigned                                               [IANA]

Message Processing Subsystem (SnmpMessageProcessingModel)

Decimal   Name                Description                     References
-------   ----                -----------                     ----------
      0  reserved for SNMPv1                                   [RFC2261]
      1  reserved for SNMPv2c                                  [RFC2261]
      2  reserved for SNMPv2u and SNMPv2*                      [RFC2261]
      3  reserved for SNMPv3                                   [RFC2261]
  4-255  Unassigned                                               [IANA]

_______________________________________________
MIB-DOCTORS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mib-doctors

---

From: "Pearl Liang via RT" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 12:05:43 -0700

Dear Bert Wijnen:

Thank you for your message.

We have made the corrections to the IANA Matrix.  Please let us know if the
changes look OK.

1. IANA Matrix: we have added the following registries to the IANA Matrix under
the Structure of Management Information (SMI) Numbers section:

Message Processing Models 	RFC2571, RFC3411 	Please look under Simple Network
Management Protocol (SNMP) Number Spaces
Security Models 	RFC2571, RFC3411 	Please look under Simple Network Management
Protocol (SNMP) Number Spaces

Please see http://www.iana.org/numbers.html#S

2. RFC2261 is currently a reference for the registries of 'SNMP Management
Architecture' located at http://www.iana.org/assignments/smi-numbers:

Question: should we update the RFC reference from 2261 to 3411 for the above
above assignments?

Thank you in advance for your help and time.

Best regards,

Pearl Liang
IANA

---

From: "Wijnen, Bert \(Bert\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 21:55:24 +0200

Inline

Bert Wijnen  

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Pearl Liang via RT [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 9:06 PM
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [MIB-DOCTORS] [IANA #97255] duplicate registry - 
> SNMP ManagementArchitecture: 
> 
> Dear Bert Wijnen:
> 
> We have made the corrections to the IANA Matrix.  Please let 
> us know if the changes look OK.
> 
> 1. IANA Matrix: we have added the following registries to the 
> IANA Matrix under the Structure of Management Information 
> (SMI) Numbers section:
> 

Under this you have:

  Simple Network Management 
  Protocol (SNMP) Number Spaces 
  Processing Models                RFC2571, RFC3411 Standards track
document (section 6.2) 
  Security Models                  RFC2571, RFC3411 Standards track
document (section 6.1) 
  SnmpEngineID Formats             RFC2571, RFC3411 Standards track
document (section 6.3) 

I think I would change that to:

  Simple Network Management 
  Protocol (SNMP) Number Spaces 
  Message Processing Models        RFC2571, RFC3411 Standards track
document (section 6.2) 
  Security Models                  RFC2571, RFC3411 Standards track
document (section 6.1) 
  SnmpEngineID Formats             RFC2571, RFC3411 Standards track
document (section 6.3) 
  snmpAuthProtocols                RFC3411 Standards Track document
  snmpPrivProtocols                RFC3411 Standards Track document

I fpossible, it would be good if the links could point into the HTML
page
such that they directly go to the appropriate piece of registration
info.
So instead of having them all point to 
   http://www.iana.org/assignments/snmp-number-spaces
Maybe you could have them point (respectively to:
 
http://www.iana.org/assignments/snmp-number-spaces#MsgProcessingModels
   http://www.iana.org/assignments/snmp-number-spaces#SecurityModels
   http://www.iana.org/assignments/snmp-number-spaces#EngineIDFormats
   http://www.iana.org/assignments/snmp-number-spaces#snmpAuthProtocols
   http://www.iana.org/assignments/snmp-number-spaces#snmpPrivProtocols

And then give each of those sections in 
   http://www.iana.org/assignments/snmp-number-spaces
that label and maybe also a header that stands out.

Just thinking aloud.

> 
> 2. RFC2261 is currently a reference for the registries of 
> 'SNMP Management Architecture' located at 
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/smi-numbers:
> 
>   4-255  Unassigned                                           
>     [IANA]
>   4-255  Unassigned                                           
>     [IANA]
> Question: should we update the RFC reference from 2261 to 
> 3411 for the above above assignments?
>

I personally think it would be better to remove these and
to point to the assignments in snmp-number-spaces

Bert 
> > while reviewing some internet draft, I ran into some duplication of 
> > registry information (or so I think).
> > 
> > and then under "SNMP Management Architecture:" it lists 
> more or less 
> > the same information.
> > 
> > RFCs as references. The http://www.iana.org/assignments/smi-numbers 
> > uses old RFC226x as references.
> > 
> > pointed to from, http://www.iana.org/numbers.html#S under:
> >  
> > all, there may be citations/references to it from various places. 
> > Maybe best to replace that part with a ptr to 
> >   4-255  Unassigned                                         
>       [IANA]
> >   4-255  Unassigned                                         
>       [IANA]