Subject: [MIB-DOCTORS] Volunteer needed to review draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-mib-03

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 14:26:47 +0200

MIB-Doctors,

We need a volunteer to review
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-mib-03.txt. The document
is co-authored by Anil Rijhsinghani (author of the original Bridge MIB)
and looks in pretty good shape. 

Thanks and Regards,

Dan

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 15:40:03 +0200

Hi,

We did not receive any volunteering offers. The list is still open and
the MIB doctors are invited to step ahead. 

Bert and me did however a quick review of the I-D. Here are our
findings. Please treat them as review comments, but keep in mind that
the list is not final and more things may accumulate. 

I would also note that I reviewed a previous version of the MIB module
and document and made a number of comments. Not all were taken into
consideration. 

1. The relationship with other MIB module sections refer to the IETF
RFCs. However, since 2006 the development of the Bridge MIB modules and
their successors were transferred to IEEE 802.1. I suggest to define the
relationship sections in relation to the IEEE MIB modules

2. There are several tables with read-create objects but no rowStatus
object - rbridgeBaseNicknameTable, rbridgeBasePortTable,
rbridgeVlanPortTable, etc.

3. There are several writeable objects and tables with writeable objects
but no rowStorageType or any indication about persistency

4. In several places SYNTAX of Integer32 is used for range positive
integers. RFC 4181, section 4.6.1.1 says: 

- If the value range is between 0..4294967295 (inclusive), and values
     greater than 2147483647 are possible, and the value of the
     information being modelled does not increase above the maximum
     value nor decrease below the minimum value, then:

     - Unsigned32 is RECOMMENDED;
     - Gauge32 is acceptable;
     - INTEGER and Integer32 MUST NOT be used.

5. Use of Inter32 (0-65535) for port numbers instead of using
InetPortNumber from RFC4001

6. SMICng strict checking gives:

W: f(trill-rbridge.mi2), (46,17) The first revision should match the
last update for MODULE-IDENTITY rbridgeMIB
W: f(trill-rbridge.mi2), (299,4) Sequence "RBridgeBasePortEntry" and Row
"rbridgeBasePortEntry" should have related names
E: f(trill-rbridge.mi2), (299,4) Row "rbridgeBasePortEntry" may not have
columns with MAX-ACCESS of read-write if any column is read-create
E: f(trill-rbridge.mi2), (608,18) Index item "dot1qFdbId" must be
defined with syntax that includes a range
W: f(trill-rbridge.mi2), (810,20) Item "rbridgeMultiFibPorts" should
have SIZE specified
E: f(trill-rbridge.mi2), (838,18) Index item "dot1qVlanIndex" must be
defined with syntax that includes a range
E: f(trill-rbridge.mi2), (912,18) Index item "dot1qVlanIndex" must be
defined with syntax that includes a range
E: f(trill-rbridge.mi2), (1113,18) Index item "dot1qVlanIndex" must be
defined with syntax that includes a range
E: f(trill-rbridge.mi2), (1272,17) Index item "dot1qVlanIndex" must be
defined with syntax that includes a range
W: f(trill-rbridge.mi2), (1265,4) Row "rbridgeSnoopingAddrEntry" has
indexing that may create variables with more than 128 sub-ids
W: f(trill-rbridge.mi2), (1310,20) Item "rbridgeSnoopingAddrPorts"
should have SIZE specified
W: f(trill-rbridge.mi2), (838,18) Row "rbridgeVlanEntry" does not have a
consistent indexing scheme - index items must be in same order as used
in INDEX cl ause for "base row" dot1qVlanCurrentEntry
W: f(trill-rbridge.mi2), (912,18) Row "rbridgeVlanPortEntry" does not
have a consistent indexing scheme - cannot specify an index item from
additional "bas e row" dot1qVlanCurrentEntry, since can have only one
"base row" which is rbridgeBasePortEntry
W: f(trill-rbridge.mi2), (1113,18) Row "rbridgeEsadiEntry" does not have
a consistent indexing scheme - index items must be in same order as used
in INDEX clause for "base row" dot1qVlanCurrentEntry
W: f(trill-rbridge.mi2), (1272,17) Row "rbridgeSnoopingAddrEntry" does
not have a consistent indexing scheme - index items must be in same
order as used in  INDEX clause for "base row" dot1qVlanCurrentEntry

7. Objects like rbridgeBaseUniMultipathEnable or
rbridgeBaseMultiMultipathEnable could use the TruthValue TC as SYNTAX.

8. UNITS clauses would be useful for counter objects.

9. There is no indication about the behavior of tables that contain
counters wrt. counters discontinuity or any discontinuity indicator
objects defined. (see section 4.6.1.2 in RFC 4181 for this)

Regards,

Dan

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:mib-doctors-
> [email-masked]] On Behalf Of Romascanu, Dan (Dan)
> Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2011 3:27 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: Ralph Droms
> Subject: [MIB-DOCTORS] Volunteer needed to reviewdraft-ietf-trill-
> rbridge-mib-03
> 
> MIB-Doctors,
> 
> _______________________________________________
> MIB-DOCTORS mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mib-doctors