Subject: [MIB-DOCTORS] Feedback regarding draft-ietf-jose-use-cases

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 17:29:08 +0100

Dear all,

I would like to get your feedback regarding this draft: 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-jose-use-cases
There are a couple of statements on ASN.1, XML, and JSON, such as ...

    Over time, the use of binary object encodings such as ASN.1 has been
    overtaken by text-based encodings, for example JavaScript Object
    Notation.

... which I would like to validate with you.
Also, sometimes, it's not clear whether the author speaks only about the 
applications, or also the protocols.

Your feedback is appreciated.

Regards, Benoit

---

From: Michael MacFaden <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 08:39:36 -0800

All proprietary mgmt related protocols VMware wrote in the past decade
except for one have used XML as the transfer syntax. So I agree in
principal.

Mike MacFaden
On Dec 19, 2013 8:29 AM, "Benoit Claise" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> MIB-DOCTORS mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mib-doctors
>

---

From: Steve Waldbusser <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 08:43:19 -0800

Openflow is binary. I wouldn't call it an object encoding though even if 
it makes extensive use of TLV.

If they are just talking about object encodings, their point may 
generally be true.

Steve

On 12/19/2013 8:29 AM, Benoit Claise wrote:
> Also, sometimes, it's not clear whether the author speaks only about 
> the applications, or also the protocols.
>

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 17:54:26 +0100

> the applications, or also the protocols.

ASN.1 defined data structures can be encoded in several different ways
including text-based encodings. I guess the author meant:

s/such as ASN.1/such as BER encoding of ASN.1/

I tend to agree that if there are sufficient resources, people tend to
prefer text-based encodings. So for me personally, the statement would
be better phrased like this:

  Over time, in environments with sufficient resources, the use of
  binary object encodings such as ASN.1 BER has been overtaken by
  text-based encodings, for example JavaScript Object Notation.

/js

PS: Just found this: http://www.obj-sys.com/docs/JSONEncodingRules.pdf
    Not sure whether anybody is seriously considering this in the ITU.

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>