Subject: Re: [mif] Happy Eyeballs Extension for MIF

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 11:31:08 +0200

First, there are a lot of issues that go into making a choice between
interfaces. The ones I can think of immediately are interface cost, policy
rules, higher layer services sought, and real goodput measurement over time.
A simple integer preference for using a particular interface to reach a
particular prefix, based only on how fast a SYNACK comes back, cannot
reflect those.

I suspect that it would be better do this in two stages: first choose a set
of interfaces based on other criteria (like those listed above), and then
run this draft's mechanism on that set.

Second, I can't resist pointing out that goodput over time is more
significant than initial connectivity so in the long run we're better off
with MPTCP or SCTP and using real data packets on those interfaces.

Thanks...  Scott

- use multipathing (SCTP CMT, MPTCP) to determine

I have concerns about the usefulness. I like Happy Eyeballs very much in its
original context. However, in the original context of Happy Eyeballs (IPv4
vs IPv6, TCP vs SCTP), the goals are clear, the choices are clear, and the
metrics for the decision are clear. It's purely a problem of devising a good
mechanism to enable making a technical choice. However, in this case, t