Subject: [mif] Connection/Session Manager Info Discussion

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 15:19:19 +0200

Hi All,

As I mentioned in the WG, I would like to have an off-line discussion  
with people who are interested in the "Connection Manager" (or  
"Session Manager") approach that has been discussed in the MIF WG.   
The IETF can't really standardize the concept of a connection manager,  
and we don't standardize how modules in a particular implementation  
talk to each other.  However, there may be a possibility that  
different types of Connection/Session Managers need a common set of  
information from their attached networks (network attributes?, policy  
information?), and that there might be a need for a standard to define  
how that information is passed.

During this informal meeting, we will discuss what information is  
needed by different Connection/Session managers, and whether there is  
a common set of information that would be useful across multiple  
implementations/node types, etc.  If so, we will discuss how that  
information should be provided by the network (DHCP, NETCONF, SNMP,  
other?) and what form we should use to standardize it (DHCP option,  
YANG Module, MIB, other?).

I have created a doodle poll to determine when people can meet about  
this subject.  Please respond using the URL below:

http://doodle.com/p34rxze96ds7mvdh

At the end of the day today, I will make a determination about when we  
will meet and send information about where.

Thanks,
Margaret