Subject: [mif] comments on the dns selection discusion

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 14:35:18 +0200

When the usecase is wifi-3g multiply ifaced host there is a need to
consider the non-DHCP protocol used to deliver the address of DNS to the 
host, on 3g.  I use hso, which I dont know what is, but is not dhcp yet 
it provises the dns address.  It is not sufficient to consider that only 
dhcp provides the dns address.

I would like that /etc/resolv.conf doesn't get overwritten, and that its 
entries are something like:

192.168.1.1, example.com, eth0

(note the additional eth0 parameter)
  In this way maybe smarter resolver libraries direct the dns request to 
appropriate server,  without resorting to enhancing routing table or src 
address selection.

Alex

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 12:53:04 +0000

3GPP specifications also allow use of Stateless DHCPv6 (e.g. for DNS, P-CSCF, etc discovery). A setup could be such that a legacy host is happy with the DNS server IPv6 address received the usual style via layer 2 signaling (PCO IE element), but multi-intefaced host would actually use Stateless DHCPv6 to get more information (DNS selection, DHCPv6 more specific routes, RFC3484 updates..)

Teemu

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> ext Alexandru Petrescu
> Sent: 28. maaliskuuta 2011 14:35
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [mif] comments on the dns selection discusion
> 
> _______________________________________________
> mif mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mif