Subject: [mif] Wired or Wireless? Route Metric Auto-configure Issue

From: Zhen Cao <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 16:33:40 +0800

Hi All,

Recently I encounter some weird phenomenon on the route metric
auto-config on Win7, stated as below. I do not know if some one has
experienced the same thing and know what's the reason behind.

On Win7, when both my WLAN and Ethernet are connected and have got
addresses from DHCP, the route metric of the WLAN IF is 25, the Wired
is 10. There is no problem even if my WLAN needs portal
authentication.  So far so good.

When I configured manually the IP address on the wired LAN (with
exactly the same address previously get from DHCP), the route metric
on the Wired LAN increases to 266. The problem aroused because I was
forced to pass the WLAN portal authentication.

We repeat the same thing on WinXP, the route metric on the wired stays
as 10 in both manually configuration and auto-configuration scenario.

That’s obvious an Operation System’s policy on the route metric
auto-configuration. But we have no ideas on why this happen.
Considering this issue, I suspect that it is important to give
different implementations a guideline on route metric
auto-configuration.

-- 
Best regards,
Zhen