Subject: [mif] IPR discussion on draft-savolainen-mif-dns-server-selection

From: Hui Deng <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 17:01:21 +0800

Hello all
 
We have once received IPR disclosure for draft-savolainen-mif-dns-server-selection at :
https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1103/
https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/search/?option=document_search&id_document_tag=draft-ietf-mif-dns-server-selection
Just want to know your comments on this before moveing forward,
 
By the way, we have found that Microsoft has open document for Name Resolution Policy Table
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff394369.aspx
And that IPR is filed around October 2008,
don't know which is more early.
 
thanks a lot
 
-Hui

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 06:29:25 -0400

Dear colleagues,

> Just want to know your comments on this before moveing forward,

Thanks to the chairs for bringing this to our attention.

The IPR disclosure is for the -00 draft submission.  It would be nice
to know whether Nokia (or for that matter, Microsoft, if they make IPR
claims over these tricks -- I note there isn't one filed in the
datatracker) think the draft as it currently stands is still covered.
I'll assume so.

To my chagrin, I'm not a lawyer, but the terms in that IPR filing seem
acceptable -- or anyway, no worse than the rest of the project.  (That
is, the very idea of this sort of scoping of DNS servers is hideous to
me, but I understand why to do it and can still think of no better way
than what the draft does.)  The IPR declaration is no worse than the
idea itself.

Best,

A

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]