Subject: [mif] #21: Some use cases assume IP multicast is not part of the Internet architecture

From: "mif issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 15:36:17 -0000

#21: Some use cases assume IP multicast is not part of the Internet architecture

 Many of the current use cases have an underlying motivation that can be
 characterized as some form of isolation or separation, where different
 hosts on the same link should use different ISPs. That separation only
 applies to unicast. Should a host need to send or receive IP multicast
 packets, it will interact with all routers on the link. (And even in the
 case of a host with multiple interfaces, a /0 prefix route doesn't have an
 impact on multicast sending and receiving.)

 The working group seems intent on rewriting the use case section from
 scratch, hence I will not go into the details of which of the current use
 cases makes the assumption that we can ignore the existence of IP
 multicast. But this ticket should be taken into account when formulating
 the new use cases to make sure the things are clear with respect to the
 support for IP multicast.

 Note that even if IP multicast isn't deployed Internet-wide, there are
 potentially issues even locally if multicast DNS is used and different
 gateways needs to expose different mDNS information to the subsets of
 hosts on the link that they should serve.

-- 
---------------------------+--------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  nordmark@…     |      Owner:  draft-ietf-mif-api-extension@…
     Type:  defect         |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major          |  Milestone:
Component:  api-extension  |    Version:
 Severity:  -              |   Keywords:
---------------------------+--------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/mif/trac/ticket/21>
mif <http://tools.ietf.org/mif/>