Subject: [mif] #24: Officially document that this updates RFC 4862

From: "mif issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 01:34:14 -0000

#24: Officially document that this updates RFC 4862

 This document obsoletes a chunk of text in section 5.5.2 and should
 therefore officially note that it updates RFC 4862.

 The section in question:

     http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4862#section-5.5.2

 """
 5.5.2.  Absence of Router Advertisements

    Even if a link has no routers, the DHCPv6 service to obtain addresses
    may still be available, and hosts may want to use the service.  From
    the perspective of autoconfiguration, a link has no routers if no
    Router Advertisements are received after having sent a small number
    of Router Solicitations as described in [RFC4861].

    Note that it is possible that there is no router on the link in this
    sense, but there is a node that has the ability to forward packets.
    In this case, the forwarding node's address must be manually
    configured in hosts to be able to send packets off-link, since the
    only mechanism to configure the default router's address
    automatically is the one using Router Advertisements.
 """

 This is likely not an onerous edit.

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  ek@…         |      Owner:  draft-ietf-mif-dhcpv6-route-
     Type:  defect       |  option@…
 Priority:  blocker      |     Status:  new
Component:  dhcpv6       |  Milestone:
  -route-option          |    Version:
 Severity:  -            |   Keywords:
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/mif/trac/ticket/24>
mif <http://tools.ietf.org/mif/>