Subject: [mif] Network Access Identifier

From: Erik Kline <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 10:06:12 -0400

Ted,

Pursuant to our in-person conversation about APNs as one example of string
identifiers used as a kind of provisioning profile identifier, I followed
some 3gpp docs until I got to RFC 4282:

    http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/html-info/23003.htm

http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_ts/123000_123099/123003/11.04.00_60/ts_123003v110400p.pdf
    http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4282

I know it's *way* too early to discuss provisioning domain/profile string
identifiers, and that the stated purpose (
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4282#section-1.3) is not necessarily the same.

Nevertheless, I hadn't run across this before and I found it interesting
that something that /may/ be used as a model is out there (complete with
international character set, DNS, and email address compatibility
discussion).

-ek

---

From: Hui Deng <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 08:11:06 +0800

Erik

Just a short comment on this, mobile network (3GPP) only use NAI when
the mobile connects with operator's wifi,
and NAI is not used in mobile connection side.
It depends on how we design it, for today internet access, only MAC address
is used as identifier, if we want to consider migrate into NAI, it may
bring the security/trust issue for network access again.

-Hui
2013/3/15 Erik Kline <[email-masked]>

> _______________________________________________
> mif mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mif
>
>

---

From: Erik Kline <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 06:16:43 -0400

Hui,

By "security/trust issue" I would guess that you mean the provider needs
some way to verify that the provisioning profile requested by the user can
and should actually be provided (they've paid for it, they're who they say
they are, ...).  If so, that sounds like a perfectly normal AAA type of
concern.

​If provisioning domains are like "static facts" about the network(s) then
AAA is likely less of a concern (or possibly not a concern at all).  But if
a client can request/select from among a set of available provisioning
domains then AAA issues will likely follow.  Interesting.

Thanks.