Subject: [mile] RFC 7495 on Enumeration Reference Format for the Incident Object Description Exchange Format (IODEF)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 09:10:03 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7495

        Title:      Enumeration Reference Format for the 
                    Incident Object Description Exchange Format (IODEF) 
        Author:     A. Montville, D. Black
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      10
        Characters: 19891
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mile-enum-reference-format-14.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7495

The Incident Object Description Exchange Format (IODEF) is an XML data
representation framework for sharing information about computer security
incidents.  In IODEF, the Reference class provides references to externally
specified information such as a vulnerability, Intrusion Detection System
(IDS) alert, malware sample, advisory, or attack technique.  In practice,
these references are based on external enumeration specifications that 
define both the enumeration format and the specific enumeration values, 
but the IODEF Reference class (as specified in IODEF v1 in RFC 5070) does 
not indicate how to include both of these important pieces of information.

This document establishes a stand-alone data format to include both the
external specification and specific enumeration identification value, and
establishes an IANA registry to manage external enumeration specifications.
While this document does not update IODEF v1, this enumeration reference
format is used in IODEF v2 and is applicable to other formats that support
this class of enumeration references.

This document is a product of the Managed Incident Lightweight Exchange Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC