Subject: Re: [Mip4] draft-patel-mobileip-experimental-messages-00.txt

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 21:39:05 -0400

Playing catchup...

There is no need to give a format for experimental options. The whole
point is that the format depends on what one is testing.  Also, the
purpose of experimental messages (at least as I understand them and as
is described in draft-narten-iana-experimental-allocations-03.txt) is
that they are for experimentation, _not_ deployment, and not for
achieving interoperability with other implementations.  They are
designed so that one can safely use them in a controlled setting
(e.g., lab or testbed) without conflicting with other registered
usages.

They are _not_ designed for vendors to use to define new message types
that they can safely deploy without fear of conflicting with some
other use. Indeed, this is exactly the kind of thing we want to avoid
-- multiple different vendor-specific message types in use in
practice. If something really is useful, as soon as it becomes clear
it is useful, it should be documented and made an RFC proper, and
relatively quickly. Experimental allocations are for dealing with the
period before something becomes documented in an RFC or otherwise
recognized as being generally useful.

Thomas

_______________________________________________
Mip4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4

---

From: Kent Leung <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 12:40:32 -0700

Hi Thomas.  Agree with your feedback.

Your comments were considered and applied in the latest
version, announced in 8/7 email below.  We will post the -01 version to
the WG soon.

Kent

>To: [email-masked]
>CC: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>, [email-masked],
>         [email-masked]
>Subject: [Mip4] draft-patel-mobileip-experimental-messages-01.txt
>
>Hello:
>
>A new version of the draft
>Experimental Message Types for Mobile IPv4
>
>is available for your reference at :
>
>ftp://ftp-eng.cisco.com/ftp/mipdrafts/draft-patel-mobileip-experimental-messages-01.txt
>
>This version includes support for experimental extensions as suggested by 
>Henrik.
>
>Please send your comments.
>Alpesh