Subject: [Mip4] RFC3012bis: Proposal for Issue1

From: "Jayshree Bharatia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 11:24:36 -0500

The current proposal for issue 1 is to use "previously unused challenge" in
section 2 for all multicast and unicast Agent Advertisements. 

In addition to this, Henrik proposed a new text for a new subsection 2.1. 

2.1 Handling of Solicited Agent Advertisements
When a foreign agent generates an Agent Advertisement in response to a
Router Solicitation [4], some additional considerations come into play.
According to the Mobile IP base specification [7], the resulting Agent
Advertisement may be either multicast or unicast.

If the solicited Agent Advertisement is multicast, it MUST NOT generate a
new Challenge value and update its window of remembered advertised
Challenges. It must instead re-use the most recent of the CHALLENGE_WINDOW
Advertisement Challenge values.

If the agent advertisement is unicast back to the soliciting mobile node
MUST be handled as follows: If the challenge most recently unicast to the
soliciting mobile node has not been previously used (as defined in Section
1.1), in SHOULD
be repeated in the newly issued unicast agent advertisement, otherwise a new
challenge MUST be generated and remembered as the most recent challenge
issued to the mobile node. (For further discussion of this, see Section 12.)

A foreign agent SHOULD NOT respond arbitrarily often to agent solicitations,
in order to limit processing load, especially in the face of hostile nodes
soliciting at a very high rate. The rate of solicited agent advertisement
responses SHOULD at most be 50 per second.

_______________________________________________
Mip4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4