Subject: [Mip4] RFC3012bis Issues

From: "Jayshree Bharatia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 10:58:20 -0500

Last week we (myself, Ahmad Muhanna, Pete McCann) had a conference call
discussing current RFC3012bis issues and we also had some email conversation
after that between myself, Ahmad Muhanna, Pete McCann, Charlie Perkins and
Henrik Levkowetz. I tried to compile the current issues and their proposals.
Please note that some of the points are agreed among few of us but not all.
Regardless, I like to have your opinion on the current proposals. Also,
please point out any other issues you may have encountered as a part of
interoperability testing.

There are two issues we have been discussing so far. Note that we have
common proposal for the last two issues (2a and 2b).

Issue 1: Current draft (05 version) doesn't have description on how to treat
ICMP messages in terms of sending new challenge vs unused challenge. Due to
this reason, implementations differ significantly. This causes
interoperability issues. 
Issue 2a: Since the behavior of ICMP messages are not explicit from the
draft, chances are that the FA generates new challenge every time it
receives the Agent Solicitation. This has potential DOS attack threat
especially for the case where the multicast Agent Advertisements are sent
upon receipt of the Agent Solicitation.
Issue 2b: This draft doesn't provide a mechanism to prevent the FA from
receiving bogus Registration Requests/Agent Solicitations.

The current proposals for these issues will be posted subsequently (in
separate emails). Please provide your comments/suggestions once you receive
them.

Thanks,
Jayshree

_______________________________________________
Mip4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 20:50:13 +0200

Hi,

A small clarification, to tie this together with earlier discussions on
the list - the ICMP messages Jayshree refers to below are specifically
the router solicitations (mobility agent advertisement solicitations) sent
by mobile nodes, and the resulting agent advertisements sent by foreign
agents.

	Henrik

> separate emails). Please provide your comments/suggestions once you receive

	Henrik

-- 
  You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
  both at once.