Subject: [Mip4] WG Action: RECHARTER: Mobility for IPv4 (mip4)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 11:42:29 -0400

The charter of the Mobility for IPv4 (mip4) working group in the 
Internet  Area of the IETF has been updated.  For additional information, 
please contact the Area Directors or the working group Chairs.

Note: the only substantative change to this charter relative to the
existing charter is the addition of the following item:

> 7. Experimental message types and extensions for Mobile IPv4 in
> accordance with draft-narten-iana-experimental-allocations-03.txt
> have been proposed in
> draft-patel-mobileip-experimental-messages-01.txt. The work group
> will take on and complete this specification.

 Mobility for IPv4 (mip4)
 ------------------------

 Current Status: Active Working Group

 Chair(s): 

       Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
       Pete McCann <[email-masked]>

 Internet Area Director(s):

       Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
       Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>

       Mailing list: [email-masked]
       To Subscribe: [email-masked]
       In Body or Subject: subscribe
       Archive: https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/mip4/current/

 DESCRIPTION:

   IP mobility support for IPv4 nodes (hosts and routers) is specified in
   RFC3344. RFC 3344 mobility allows a node to continue using its
   "permanent" home address as it moves around the internet. The Mobile IP
   protocols support transparency above the IP layer, including maintenance
   of active TCP connections and UDP port bindings. Besides the basic
   Mobile IPv4 (MIPv4) protocols, several other drafts deal with concerns
   such as optimization, security, extensions, AAA support, and deployment
   issues. 

   Mobile IPv4 is currently being deployed on a wide basis (e.g., in
   cdma2000 networks). The scope of the deployment is on a fairly large
   scale and accordingly, the MIP4 WG will focus on deployment issues and
   on addressing known deficiencies and shortcomings in the protocol that
   have come up as a result of deployment experience. Specifically, the
   working group will complete the work items to facilitate interactions
   with AAA environments, interactions with enterprise environments when
   Mobile IPv4 is used therein, and updating existing protocol
   specifications in accordance with deployment needs and advancing those
   protocols that are on the standards track.

   Work expected to be done by the MIP4 WG as proposed by this charter is
   as follows:

   1. MIPv4 has been a proposed standard for several years. It has been
      adopted by other standard development organizations and has been
      deployed commercially. One of the next steps for the WG is to advance
      the protocol to draft standard status. As part of advancing base
      Mobile IP specs to DS, the Mobile IPv4 NAI RFC (2794) will also be
      progressed towards DS.

   2. Key exchange using AAA infrastructures for setting up security
      associations defined in RFC3344 will be completed.

   3. The AAA WG, which is currently dealing with the Diameter Mobile IP
      application, requires the AAA NAI for Mobile IPv4. This work will
      be completed by the WG. The MIP4 WG will also work with the AAA WG
      to ensure that the Diameter Mobile IP application is aligned with
      WG requirements.

   4. Home agent assignment at the time of mobile-ip registration, rather
      than preconfigured for the mobile node, has been proposed in
      draft-kulkarni-mobileip-dynamic-assignment-01.txt. The WG will
      take on the task of completing this. The ability to switch the home
      agent assigned to a mobile node while registered will also be
      considered as part of this task. 

   5. Work items that are pending from the previous Mobile IP WG, which will be
      completed by the MIP4 WG, are RFC3012bis (Challenge-response mechanism),
      low-latency handover draft to experimental status and the completion
      of the MIB for the revised base Mobile IP specification (2006bis).

   6. The MIP4 WG will also complete the work on Mobile IPv4 interactions
      in VPN scenarios. This work will involve identifying the requirements
      and a solution development for Mobile IPv4 operation in the presence
      of IPsec VPN's. 

   7. Experimental message types and extensions for Mobile IPv4 in accordance 
      with draft-narten-iana-experimental-allocations-03.txt has been
      proposed in draft-patel-mobileip-experimental-messages-01.txt. 
      The work group will take on and complete this specification.

   Other potential work items may be identified in the future but will
   require an appropriate recharter.

   Goals and Milestones:

   Aug 03 AAA Keys for MIPv4 to IESG
   Sep 03 MIPv4 VPN interaction problem statement to IESG
   Sep 03 Low latency handover to experimental
   Oct 03 Revised MIPv4 Challenge/Response (3012bis) to IESG
   Oct 03 Advance RFC 2794 (NAI Extension specification) to IESG for Draft 
          Standard
   Nov 03 Revised MIB for MIPv4 to IESG
   Dec 03 Revised MIPv4 specification to IESG for Draft Standard
   Jan 04 Dynamic Home Agent assignment protocol solution to IESG
   Jan 04 MIPv4 experimental extensions and message draft to IESG
   Feb 04 MIPv4 VPN Solution to IESG

-- 
Mip4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4

---

From: "Seok J. Koh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 09:59:27 +0900

Dear all,

In the MIP4 WG charter, I cannot see the item
"Regional Registration (draft-ietf-mobileip-reg-tunnel-07.txt)".

Is it determined that the regional MIPv4 issue 
will not be considered as a work item ?

Sorry for not following the WG discussion on that.

Seok J. Koh

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 08:44:47 +0200

> Sorry for not following the WG discussion on that.

In the mail archives we find:

 http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/mip4/current/msg00199.html

There is also the supplementary workgroup page which says:

 http://www.levkowetz.com/ietf/wg/mip4/#old-drafts

	Henrik