Subject: [Mip4] Host Identity Protocol Architecture and BOF

From: Pekka Nikander <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 13:05:59 +0300

Folks,

The Host Identity Protocol, first discussed after the the
MALLOC meeting at 43th IETF in Orlando and again at BOFs
during the 50th IETF in Minneapolis and 51st in London, is
surfacing again.

The HIP work has proceeded at the side of the IETF, without any
formal organization, to a level where the HIP Architecture
document is ready to be published as an Informational RFC.
The actual protocol specification is also quite mature, and
there there are at least six implementations, four of which
have been tested for interoperability.  To complete the remaining
work on infrastructure so that it would be possible to experiment
with HIP on a wide scale, we have requested a BOF for the next
IETF in Minneapolis.  While the BOF is still pending formal
approval from the ADs, it does appear at the preliminary agenda.

The architecture specification, draft-moskowitz-hip-arch-05.txt,
is on its way to the archives.  The plan is to submit it directly
to the RFC Editor on Monday, October 27th, following the procedure
of RFC2026 Section 4.2.3.  It would be very valuable if people
would read the draft either before Oct27th or soon afterwards,
allowing possible comments to be considered before publishing the
document.   The comments should be sent either directly to the
authors or to the hipsec mailing list.

Since it may take some time before the draft appears in the
repository, it is currently also available at the following URLs:

http://www.tml.hut.fi/~pnr/HIP/draft-moskowitz-hip-arch-05.txt
http://www.tml.hut.fi/~pnr/HIP/draft-moskowitz-hip-arch-05.html
http://www.tml.hut.fi/~pnr/HIP/draft-moskowitz-hip-arch-05.xml

The corresponding protocol specification, draft-moskowitz-hip-08.txt,
will be heading to the repository later today.  It will also be
available at URLs similar to the ones above.  An announcement
will be sent to the hipsec mailing list.

The BOF is currently scheduled for Thursday, Nov 13, at 1300-1500,
but as the agenda is still much in flux, it may be moved.  The BOF
description is available at http://www.ietf.org/ietf/03nov/hipbof.txt

At this stage I want to thank the large number of people that have
contributed to HIP during these years, allowing it to proceed this
far.  You know who you are.  Without your work it would not have
been possible to get even here.  HIP has been a community effort,
and will continue as such.

This announcement was sent to the Multi6, Mobile IPv4, Mobile IPv6,
and IPsec WGs, in addition to the IETF Discuss mailing lists.  The
reason for this is that HIP, if adopted, may have effects on IPsec
based security, IP layer mobility, and multi-address multi-homing.

The HIP architecture and protocol should be discussed at the hipsec
mailing list; see the BOF description for details on how to subscribe.

--Pekka Nikander

-- 
Mip4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4