Subject: [Mip4] CFP: IEEE Sensor and Ad Hoc Communications and Networks (SECON04)

From: Surendar Chandra <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 16:01:04 -0500

We apologize if you received multiple copies of this Call for Papers.
Feel free to distribute it to those who might be interested.

==========================================================================
			   CALL FOR PAPERS

			   IEEE SECON 2004

	First Annual IEEE Communications Society Conference on
	    Sensor and Ad Hoc Communications and Networks

		     Technically Co-Sponsored By:
			   IEEE ComSoc TCCC

		       Santa Clara, California
			  October 4-7, 2004

		 Paper submissions due: June 7, 2004

		    http://www.ieee-secon.org/2004
==========================================================================

The convergence of the Internet, communications and information
technologies, coupled with recent engineering advances, is paving the
way for a new generation of inexpensive mobile devices, sensors and
actuators.  It is the distributed and ad hoc deployment of networks of
these network devices and sensors that bears promises for a
significant impact, not only on science and engineering, but equally
importantly on a broad range of applications relating to critical
infrastructure protection and security, health care, the environment,
energy, food safety, production processing, quality of life, and the
economy.

This new IEEE Communications Society conference will provide a forum
to exchange ideas, techniques, and applications, discuss best
practices, raise awareness and share experiences among researchers,
practitioners, standard developers and policy makers in the field of
sensor and ad hoc networks and systems. The conference will be
organized to provide for a degree of collegiality and continuity in
the discussions of the various topics among participants from the
industrial, governmental and academic sectors.

Original technical papers, which address the communications,
networking, systems and algorithmic aspects of ad hoc and sensor
networks, as well as those that describe practical deployment and
implementation experiences are solicited for presentation at the
conference and publication in the conference proceedings.  Papers
presenting novel contributions in such disciplines as digital signal
processing, communications, networking protocols and architectures,
algorithms, embedded systems, middleware and information management,
and novel applications are solicited.

PAPERS:

Two types of submissions will be accepted for review in this
conference:

* Full papers describing original, previously unpublished research
  work, experimental efforts, practical experiences, and industrial
  and commercial developments in sensor and ad hoc communications and
  networks.  Papers with a deep focus on a specific discipline or
  stimulated by the synergistic interaction of diverse disciplines are
  encouraged.

* Short papers focusing on future research directions, industry
  challenges and novel approaches in the field of sensor and ad hoc
  communications and networks. Papers in this category must be
  visionary, innovative and forward- looking.

Particular topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

* New architectures, protocols and access control to support
  communication, localization, time synchronization, routing and data
  dissemination in heterogeneous, large-scale distributed, ad hoc
  networks and sensor networks

* Novel algorithms and theories for management, supervisory control
  and monitoring of distributed ad hoc networks, and techniques for
  the interpretation and use of sensor data in decision-making
  processes

* Industrial and commercial developments and applications

* Modeling and performance evaluation of large-scale distributed and
  ad hoc sensor networks, practical implementations, and real-work
  experiences

* Theories and models on fundamental information and communication
  aspects of wireless ad hoc and sensor networks

* Mechanisms for authenticated, secure communication and data
  dissemination in sensor and ad hoc networks

* Integration of sensors into engineered systems, including novel
  techniques for sensor renewable power sources, mechanisms for
  on-sensor self- calibration and self-testing and efficient schemes
  to maximize accuracy and minimize false alarms

* Chip-based systems incorporating multiple sensors, computation,
  actuation, and wireless interfaces

* Software platforms, middleware and tools for ad hoc and sensor
  network applications development, deployment and management

TUTORIALS AND PANELS:

  Proposals for tutorials and panels on current topics in the field of
  ad hoc and sensor networking and applications are solicited. Panels
  related to the commercial application and development of sensors and
  ad hoc networks are especially encouraged.

DEMOS AND EXPO: 

  Demonstrations that showcase the practical implementations,
  industrial and commercial developments, and new applications for ad
  hoc and sensor networks are solicited.  

SUBMISSION AND REVIEW PROCESS:

* All submissions will be handled electronically via EDAS
  (http://edas.info).  
 
  Please refer to the appropriate link and information at the
  conference website, http://www.ieee-secon.org/2004.

* The conference will only accept for review original papers that have
  not been previously published and are not currently under review by
  another conference or journal. All submissions will be handled
  electronically and must be in PDF or PostScript format.

* The length of the paper must not exceed 10 IEEE conference-style
  pages (US "Letter" size, 8.5 x 11 inches) including text, figures
  and references, in two-column, single-space format, with a font
  size of at least 10 points.

* Papers not following these guidelines will be rejected.

* All submissions will be reviewed for technical merits and relevance
  to the conference.

* Accepted papers will be published in the conference proceedings.

IMPORTANT DATES:

Paper submissions due:		June 7, 2004
Tutorial/Panel Proposals due:	July 12, 2004
Notification date:		August 1, 2004
Camera-ready version due:	August 20, 2004

GENERAL CHAIR:

Taieb Znati, University of Pittsburgh, and NSF
[email-masked]

GENERAL VICE-CHAIR:

C. S. Raghavendra, University of Southern California
[email-masked]

TECHNICAL PROGRAM CO-CHAIRS:

Sung-Ju Lee            Prasant Mohapatra            Krishna Sivalingam
HP Laboratories        UC Davis                     UMBC
[email-masked]       [email-masked]	    [email-masked]

For more information, please visit the conference website 
http://www.ieee-secon.org/2004 or contact one of the conference
co-chairs.

==========================================================================

-- 
Mip4 mailing list: [email-masked]
    Web interface: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4
     Charter page: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mip4-charter.html
Supplemental site: http://www.mip4.org/