Subject: [Mip4] CFP: IEEE Sensor and Ad Hoc Communications and Networks (SECON04)

From: Surendar Chandra <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 23:57:02 -0500

We apologize if you received multiple copies of this Call for Papers.
Feel free to distribute it to those who might be interested.
==========================================================================
			   CALL FOR PAPERS

			   IEEE SECON 2004

	First Annual IEEE Communications Society Conference on
	    Sensor and Ad Hoc Communications and Networks

		     Technically Co-Sponsored By:
			   IEEE ComSoc TCCC

		       Santa Clara, California
			  October 4-7, 2004

	    Paper submissions due (via EDAS): June 7, 2004

		    http://www.ieee-secon.org/2004
==========================================================================

The convergence of the Internet, communications and information
technologies, coupled with recent engineering advances, is paving the
way for a new generation of inexpensive mobile devices, sensors and
actuators.  It is the distributed and ad hoc deployment of networks of
these network devices and sensors that bears promises for a
significant impact, not only on science and engineering, but equally
importantly on a broad range of applications relating to critical
infrastructure protection and security, health care, the environment,
energy, food safety, production processing, quality of life, and the
economy.

This new IEEE Communications Society conference will provide a forum
to exchange ideas, techniques, and applications, discuss best
practices, raise awareness and share experiences among researchers,
practitioners, standard developers and policy makers in the field of
sensor and ad hoc networks and systems. The conference will be
organized to provide for a degree of collegiality and continuity in
the discussions of the various topics among participants from the
industrial, governmental and academic sectors.

Original technical papers, which address the communications,
networking, systems and algorithmic aspects of ad hoc and sensor
networks, as well as those that describe practical deployment and
implementation experiences are solicited for presentation at the
conference and publication in the conference proceedings.  Papers
presenting novel contributions in such disciplines as digital signal
processing, communications, networking protocols and architectures,
algorithms, embedded systems, middleware and information management,
and novel applications are solicited.

PAPERS:

Two types of submissions will be accepted for review in this
conference:

* FULL papers describing original, previously unpublished research
  work, experimental efforts, practical experiences, and industrial
  and commercial developments in sensor and ad hoc communications and
  networks.  Papers with a deep focus on a specific discipline or
  stimulated by the synergistic interaction of diverse disciplines are
  encouraged.

* SHORT papers focusing on future research directions, industry
  challenges and novel approaches in the field of sensor and ad hoc
  communications and networks. Papers in this category must be
  visionary, innovative and forward- looking.

Particular topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

* New architectures, protocols and access control to support
  communication, localization, time synchronization, routing and data
  dissemination in heterogeneous, large-scale distributed, ad hoc
  networks and sensor networks

* Novel algorithms and theories for management, supervisory control
  and monitoring of distributed ad hoc networks, and techniques for
  the interpretation and use of sensor data in decision-making
  processes

* Industrial and commercial developments and applications

* Modeling and performance evaluation of large-scale distributed and
  ad hoc sensor networks, practical implementations, and real-work
  experiences

* Theories and models on fundamental information and communication
  aspects of wireless ad hoc and sensor networks

* Mechanisms for authenticated, secure communication and data
  dissemination in sensor and ad hoc networks

* Integration of sensors into engineered systems, including novel
  techniques for sensor renewable power sources, mechanisms for
  on-sensor self- calibration and self-testing and efficient schemes
  to maximize accuracy and minimize false alarms

* Chip-based systems incorporating multiple sensors, computation,
  actuation, and wireless interfaces

* Software platforms, middleware and tools for ad hoc and sensor
  network applications development, deployment and management

TUTORIALS AND PANELS:

  Proposals for tutorials and panels on current topics in the field of
  ad hoc and sensor networking and applications are solicited. Panels
  related to the commercial application and development of sensors and
  ad hoc networks are especially encouraged.

DEMOS AND EXPO: 

  Demonstrations that showcase the practical implementations,
  industrial and commercial developments, and new applications for ad
  hoc and sensor networks are solicited.  

SUBMISSION AND REVIEW PROCESS:

* All submissions will be handled electronically via EDAS
  (http://edas.info).  
 
  Please refer to the appropriate link and information at the
  conference website, http://www.ieee-secon.org/2004.

* The conference will only accept for review original papers that have
  not been previously published and are not currently under review by
  another conference or journal. All submissions will be handled
  electronically and must be in PDF or PostScript format.

* The length of FULL papers (describing original, previously
  unpublished research work, experimental efforts, practical
  experiences, etc.) must NOT exceed 10 IEEE conference-style pages
  (US "Letter" size, 8.5 x 11 inches) including text, figures and
  references, in two-column, single-space format, with a font size of
  11 points.

* The length of SHORT papers (focusing on future research directions,
  industry challenges, highly novel approaches, etc.) must not exceed
  6 IEEE conference-style pages (US "Letter" size, 8.5 x 11 inches)
  including text, figures and references, in two-column, single-space
  format, with a font size of 11 points.

* Papers not following these guidelines will be rejected.

* All submissions will be reviewed for technical merits and relevance
  to the conference.

* Accepted papers will be published in the conference proceedings.

IMPORTANT DATES:

Paper submissions due:		June 7, 2004
Tutorial/Panel Proposals due:	July 12, 2004
Notification date:		August 1, 2004
Camera-ready version due:	August 20, 2004

GENERAL CHAIR:

Taieb Znati, University of Pittsburgh, and NSF
[email-masked]

GENERAL VICE-CHAIR:

C. S. Raghavendra, University of Southern California
[email-masked]

TECHNICAL PROGRAM CO-CHAIRS:

Sung-Ju Lee            Prasant Mohapatra            Krishna Sivalingam
HP Laboratories        UC Davis                     UMBC
[email-masked]       [email-masked]	    [email-masked]

For more information, please visit the conference website 
http://www.ieee-secon.org/2004 or contact one of the conference
co-chairs.

TECHNICAL PROGRAM COMMITTEE

Prathima Agrawal, Auburn
Kevin Almeroth, UCSB
Mary Baker, HP Labs
Suman Banerjee, University of Wisconsin
Stefano Basagni, Northeastern
Elizabeth Belding-Royer, UCSB
Christian Bettstetter, DoCoMo Euro-Labs
Philippe Bonnet, University of Copenhagen
Andrew Campbell, Columbia
Erdal Cayirci, Istanbul Technical University
Surendar Chandra, Notre Dame
Marco Conti, IIT Institute - CNR Pisa
David Culler, UC Berkeley
Samir Das, SUNY Stony Brook
Anthony Ephremides, University of Maryland
Deborah Estrin, UCLA
John Fisher, MIT
JJ Garcia-Luna-Aceves, UCSC
Mario Gerla, UCLA
Silvia Giordano, SUPSI of Lugano
Zygmunt Haas, Cornell University
Richard Han, University of Colorado
Paul Havinga, University of Twente
Wendi Heinzelman, University of Rochester
Sanjay Jha, UNSW, Sydney
Anupam Joshi, UMBC
Sneha Kasera, Utah
Young-Bae Ko, Ajou University
Robin Kravetz, UIUC
Bhaskar Krishnamachari, USC
Lakshman Krishnamurthy, Intel
Srikanth Krishnamurthy, UCR
Marwan Krunz, Arizona
P.R. Kumar, UIUC
Kevin Lai, HP 
Koen Langendoen, Delft University of Technology
Bo Li, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
Li Li, Bell Labs, Lucent Technologies
Mingyan Liu, Michigan
Richard Martin, Rutgers University
Seapahn Megerian, University of Wisconsin
Lynette Millett, The National Academies
Thyagarajan Nandagopal (Bell Labs, Lucent Technologies)
Peng Ning, NCSU
Charles Perkins, Nokia Research Center
Lili Qiu, Microsoft
Parmesh Ramanathan, University of Wisconsin
Jason Redi, BBN
Martin Reisslein, ASU
Paolo Santi, CNR
Andreas Savvides, Yale
Curt Schurgers, UCSD
Sergio Servetto, Cornell
Rajeev Shorey, NUS Singapore
Suresh Singh, Portland State Univ
Emin Sirer, Cornell University
Raghupathy Sivakumar, Georgia Tech.
Mani Srivastava, UCLA
John  Stankovic, University of Virginia
William Su, Boeing
Gaurav Sukhatme, USC
Yu-Chee Tseng, National Chiao-Tung Univ.
Cedric Westphal, Nokia
Stephen Wicker, Cornell
Adam Wolisz, Technical University of Berlin
Mark Yarvis, Intel Corporation
Qian Zhang, Microsoft Research Asia
Michele Zorzi, Universita'di Ferrara

==========================================================================

-- 
Mip4 mailing list: [email-masked]
    Web interface: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4
     Charter page: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mip4-charter.html
Supplemental site: http://www.mip4.org/