Subject: RE: [Mip4] Re: review ofdraft-devarapalli-mip4-mobike-connectivity-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 17:36:57 +0300

Hi Vijay, 

Adding some more comments inline on this very interesting draft.

> > I started to wonder whether there's something here
> > that would apply in similar manner to Mobile IPv6. There
> > does not appear to be any specific dependency on Mobile
> > IPv4 here. 
> 
> yes its possible. infact in 3GPP2-WLAN IW, this is already
> being considered. a MIPv6 tunnel with a HA through an IPsec
> tunnel with the PDIF. I thought about writing up a draft
> for MIPv6 too, but nobody is asking for it right now. :)
> also for MIPv6, it might make sense to collapse the VPN
> gateway and the HA into the same box.

I also would like to see a draft to cover the MIP6 case.
Furthermore, even though 3GPP has not spelled it out yet,
this work might have relevance in there also. Their 3G-WLAN
interworking has an IKEv2 scenario -- from where a leap
towards MOBIKE isn't that big anymore ;)

> > Doing the same for Mobile IPv6 appears to
> > be possible, although doing VPN + IPsec-based
> > home agent security would imply nested IPsec tunnels.
> > Interestingly, with v6 RO you could eliminate the
> > second (inner) tunnel in your solution.
> 
> yup.
> 
> > But perhaps that discussion falls under the scope of
> > the v4-v6 interoperability scheme.

>From a telco (3GPP-WLAN interworking) perspective MOBIKE with
MIP6 could actually provide one solution for migration in
heterogeneous access network. I was thinking of the case,
where the cellular using MIP6 would be considered as the
trusted network and the other accesses (read WLANs etc) as
untrusted. There MOBIKE could be used to provide access also
in untrusted IPv4 access networks. Any comments?

Cheers,
	Jouni

-- 
Mip4 mailing list: [email-masked]
    Web interface: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4
     Charter page: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mip4-charter.html
Supplemental site: http://www.mip4.org/

---

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 19:18:41 -0700

> towards MOBIKE isn't that big anymore ;)

okay

> in untrusted IPv4 access networks. Any comments?

agreed. please bring this up on the MIP6 mailing list. I
would be happy to write up a similar draft for MIPv6.

Vijay