Subject: [Mip4] [CFP] Symposium on Stabilization, Safety, and Security of, Distributed Systems (SSS 2006)

From: "Maria Gradinariu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 19:19:24 +0200

[Please accept our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this message.] 

Eighth International Symposium on Stabilization, Safety, and Security of 
Distributed Systems 
(formerly Symposium on Self-stabilizing Systems) (SSS 2006) 
November 17th-19th, 2006 
Dallas, Texas, USA 
http://www.irisa.fr/sss/2006/ 

============================================================================== 
Selected papers will be published in a special issue of the ACM Transactions 
on Autonomous and Adaptive Systems (TAAS). 
============================================================================== 

============================================================================== 
Important Dates 

Paper Submission:        July 7th, 2006 
Notification to Authors: August 21st, 2006 
Camera-ready:            August 31st, 2006 
Symposium:               November 17th-19th, 2006 
============================================================================== 

The Symposium is a prestigious international forum for researchers and 
practitioners in the design and development of fault-tolerant distributed 
systems with self-* properties, such as self-stabilizing, self-configuring, 
self-organizing, self-managing, self-repairing, self-healing, self-optimizing, 
self-adaptive, and self-protecting. 

The theory of self-stabilization has been enriched in the last 25 years by 
high quality research contributions in the areas of algorithmic techniques, 
formal methodologies, model theoretic issues, and composition techniques. 
All these areas are essential to the understanding and maintenance of self-* 
properties in fault-tolerant distributed systems. 

Research in distributed systems is now at a crucial point in its evolution, 
marked by the importance of dynamic systems such as peer-to-peer networks, 
large-scale wireless sensor networks, mobile ad hoc networks, robotic networks, 
etc.  Moreover, new applications such as grid and web services, banking and 
e-commerce, e-health and robotics, aerospace and avionics, automotive, 
industrial process control, etc. have joined the traditional applications of 
distributed systems. 

Now, more than ever, the theory of self-stabilization has tremendous 
impact in these areas.  Therefore, this year, we are extending the scope of 
the symposium to cover all safety and security related aspects of self-* 
systems.  The title of the conference has been changed to reflect this 
expansion.  There will be three tracks: networking, safety and security, and 
self-* properties in static and dynamic systems. 

The symposium solicits contributions on all aspects of self-stabilization, 
safety and security, recovery oriented systems and programing, from theoretical 
contributions, to reports of the actual experience of applying the principles 
of self-stabilization to static and dynamic systems. 

Topics of interest include, but are not limited to: 

Stabilization: 
- self-stabilizing systems 
- self-managed, self-assembling, autonomic and adaptive systems 
- self-optimizing and self-protecting systems 
- self-* abstractions for implementing fundamental services in static and 
dynamic distributed systems 
- impossibility results and lower bounds for self-* systems 
- application of stabilizing algorithms and techniques in dynamic distributed 
systems 
- data and code stabilization 
- algorithms for self-* error detection/correction 

Safety: 
- safety critical systems 
- trust models and specifications 
- semantics of trust, distrust, mistrust, over-trust, cheat, risk and 
reputation 
- trust-related security and privacy 
- reliable and dependable systems 
- fault-tolerant systems, hardware redundancy, robustness, survivable systems, 
failure recovery 

Security: 
- security of network protocols 
- security of sensor and mobile networks protocols 
- secure architectures, frameworks, policy, intrusion detection/awareness 
- proactive security 
- self-* properties and their relation with classical fault-tolerance and 
security 
- security protocols for self-* systems 

Networks and Applications: 
- models of fault-tolerant communication 
- stochastic, physical, and biological models to analyze self-* properties 
- communication complexity 
- data structures for efficient communication 
- self-stabilizing hardware, software, and middleware 
- algorithms for high-speed networks, sensors, wireless and robots networks 
- mobile agents 
- peer-to-peer networks, sensor networks, MANETs, and wireless mesh networks 
- network topologies, overlays, and protocols 
- protocols for secure and reliable data transport and search in wireless mesh 
networks 
- information storage and sharing in wireless mesh networks 

Contributors are invited to submit a PDF file of their paper.  Submissions 
should be no longer than 4800 words and should not exceed 12 pages on 
letter-size paper using at least 11 point font and reasonable margins (the 
page limit includes all figures, tables, and graphs).  Submissions should 
include a cover page (that does not count towards the 12 page limit) that 
includes paper title, authors and affiliations, contact author's e-mail 
address, an abstract of the work in a few lines, and a few keywords.  Submitted 
papers may have appendices beyond the 12 page limit, but reviewers are free to 
disregard any material beyond the 12 page limit.  A paper submitted to SSS 2006 
is expected to be original research not previously published; a submission may 
not be concurrently submitted or to any other conference, workshop, or journal. 

The proceedings of the conference will be published in the Springer Verlag 
Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS) series.  Selected papers will be 
published in a special issue of the ACM Transactions on Autonomous and Adaptive 
Systems (TAAS). 

General Chair: 
Mohamed Gouda, University of Texas at Austin, USA, [email-masked] 

Program Co-chairs: 
Ajoy K Datta University of Nevada Las Vegas, USA, [email-masked] 
Maria Gradinariu, IRISA, France, [email-masked] 

Local Arrangements Chair: 
Jorge Cobb, University of Texas at Dallas, USA, [email-masked] 
Ravi Prakash, University of Texas at Dallas, USA, [email-masked] 

Publicity and Web Chair: 
Florent Claerhout, IRISA, France, [email-masked] 

Steering Committee: 
Anish Arora, Ohio State University, USA, [email-masked] 
Ajoy K. Datta, University of Nevada Las Vegas, USA, [email-masked] 
Shlomi Dolev, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Israel, [email-masked] 
Sukumar Ghosh, Chair, University of Iowa, USA, [email-masked] 
Mohamed G. Gouda, University of Texas at Austin, USA, [email-masked] 
Ted Herman, University of Iowa, USA, [email-masked] 
Shing-Tsaan Huang, National Central University, Taiwan, [email-masked] 
Toshimitsu Masuzawa, Osaka University, Japan, [email-masked] 
Vincent Villain, Universie de Picardie, France, [email-masked] 

-- 
Mip4 mailing list: [email-masked]
    Web interface: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4
     Charter page: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mip4-charter.html
Supplemental site: http://www.mip4.org/