Subject: [Mip4] [CFP] Symposium on Stabilization, Safety, and Security of, Distributed Systems (SSS 2006)

From: Maria Gradinariu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 11:01:37 +0200

[Please accept our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this 
message.]

Eighth International Symposium on Stabilization, Safety, and Security of
Distributed Systems
(formerly Symposium on Self-stabilizing Systems) (SSS 2006)
November 17th-19th, 2006
Dallas, Texas, USA
http://www.irisa.fr/sss/2006/

============================================================================== 

Selected papers will be published in a special issue of the ACM 
Transactions
on Autonomous and Adaptive Systems (TAAS).
============================================================================== 

=From [email-masked] Fri Jun 02 14:29:14 2006
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 11:01:37 +0200
From: Maria Gradinariu <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked],
	[email-masked], [email-masked],
	[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
	[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
	[email-masked], [email-masked],
	[email-masked], [email-masked],
	[email-masked], [email-masked],
	[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
	[email-masked], [email-masked],
	[email-masked],
	[email-masked],
	[email-masked], [email-masked],
	[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
	[email-masked], [email-masked],
	[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
	[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
	[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
	[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
	[email-masked], [email-masked],
	[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
	[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
	[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
	[email-masked],
	[email-masked], [email-masked],
	[email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: 
Subject: [Mip4] [CFP] Symposium on Stabilization, Safety, and Security of,
 Distributed Systems (SSS 2006)

[Please accept our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this 
message.]

Eighth International Symposium on Stabilization, Safety, and Security of
Distributed Systems
(formerly Symposium on Self-stabilizing Systems) (SSS 2006)
November 17th-19th, 2006
Dallas, Texas, USA
http://www.irisa.fr/sss/2006/

============================================================================== 

Selected papers will be published in a special issue of the ACM 
Transactions
on Autonomous and Adaptive Systems (TAAS).
============================================================================== 

============================================================================== 

Important Dates

Paper Submission:        July 7th, 2006
Notification to Authors: August 21st, 2006
Camera-ready:            August 31st, 2006
Symposium:               November 17th-19th, 2006
============================================================================== 

The Symposium is a prestigious international forum for researchers and
practitioners in the design and development of fault-tolerant distributed
systems with self-* properties, such as self-stabilizing, self-configuring,
self-organizing, self-managing, self-repairing, self-healing, 
self-optimizing,
self-adaptive, and self-protecting.

The theory of self-stabilization has been enriched in the last 25 years by
high quality research contributions in the areas of algorithmic techniques,
formal methodologies, model theoretic issues, and composition techniques.
All these areas are essential to the understanding and maintenance of 
self-*
properties in fault-tolerant distributed systems.

Research in distributed systems is now at a crucial point in its evolution,
marked by the importance of dynamic systems such as peer-to-peer networks,
large-scale wireless sensor networks, mobile ad hoc networks, robotic 
networks,
etc.  Moreover, new applications such as grid and web services, banking and
e-commerce, e-health and robotics, aerospace and avionics, automotive,
industrial process control, etc. have joined the traditional 
applications of
distributed systems.

Now, more than ever, the theory of self-stabilization has tremendous
impact in these areas.  Therefore, this year, we are extending the scope of
the symposium to cover all safety and security related aspects of self-*
systems.  The title of the conference has been changed to reflect this
expansion.  There will be three tracks: networking, safety and security, 
and
self-* properties in static and dynamic systems.

The symposium solicits contributions on all aspects of self-stabilization,
safety and security, recovery oriented systems and programing, from 
theoretical
contributions, to reports of the actual experience of applying the 
principles
of self-stabilization to static and dynamic systems.

Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

Stabilization:
- self-stabilizing systems
- self-managed, self-assembling, autonomic and adaptive systems
- self-optimizing and self-protecting systems
- self-* abstractions for implementing fundamental services in static and
dynamic distributed systems
- impossibility results and lower bounds for self-* systems
- application of stabilizing algorithms and techniques in dynamic 
distributed
systems
- data and code stabilization
- algorithms for self-* error detection/correction

Safety:
- safety critical systems
- trust models and specifications
- semantics of trust, distrust, mistrust, over-trust, cheat, risk and
reputation
- trust-related security and privacy
- reliable and dependable systems
- fault-tolerant systems, hardware redundancy, robustness, survivable 
systems,
failure recovery

Security:
- security of network protocols
- security of sensor and mobile networks protocols
- secure architectures, frameworks, policy, intrusion detection/awareness
- proactive security
- self-* properties and their relation with classical fault-tolerance and
security
- security protocols for self-* systems

Networks and Applications:
- models of fault-tolerant communication
- stochastic, physical, and biological models to analyze self-* properties
- communication complexity
- data structures for efficient communication
- self-stabilizing hardware, software, and middleware
- algorithms for high-speed networks, sensors, wireless and robots networks
- mobile agents
- peer-to-peer networks, sensor networks, MANETs, and wireless mesh 
networks
- network topologies, overlays, and protocols
- protocols for secure and reliable data transport and search in 
wireless mesh
networks
- information storage and sharing in wireless mesh networks

Contributors are invited to submit a PDF file of their paper============================================================================= 

Important Dates

Paper Submission:        July 7th, 2006
Notification to Authors: August 21st, 2006
Camera-ready:            August 31st, 2006
Symposium:               November 17th-19th, 2006
============================================================================== 

The Symposium is a prestigious international forum for researchers and
practitioners in the design and development of fault-tolerant distributed
systems with self-* properties, such as self-stabilizing, self-configuring,
self-organizing, self-managing, self-repairing, self-healing, 
self-optimizing,
self-adaptive, and self-protecting.

The theory of self-stabilization has been enriched in the last 25 years by
high quality research contributions in the areas of algorithmic techniques,
formal methodologies, model theoretic issues, and composition techniques.
All these areas are essential to the understanding and maintenance of 
self-*
properties in fault-tolerant distributed systems.

Research in distributed systems is now at a crucial point in its evolution,
marked by the importance of dynamic systems such as peer-to-peer networks,
large-scale wireless sensor networks, mobile ad hoc networks, robotic 
networks,
etc.  Moreover, new applications such as grid and web services, banking and
e-commerce, e-health and robotics, aerospace and avionics, automotive,
industrial process control, etc. have joined the traditional 
applications of
distributed systems.

Now, more than ever, the theory of self-stabilization has tremendous
impact in these areas.  Therefore, this year, we are extending the scope of
the symposium to cover all safety and security related aspects of self-*
systems.  The title of the conference has been changed to reflect this
expansion.  There will be three tracks: networking, safety and security, 
and
self-* properties in static and dynamic systems.

The symposium solicits contributions on all aspects of self-stabilization,
safety and security, recovery oriented systems and programing, from 
theoretical
contributions, to reports of the actual experience of applying the 
principles
of self-stabilization to static and dynamic systems.

Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

Stabilization:
- self-stabilizing systems
- self-managed, self-assembling, autonomic and adaptive systems
- self-optimizing and self-protecting systems
- self-* abstractions for implementing fundamental services in static and
dynamic distributed systems
- impossibility results and lower bounds for self-* systems
- application of stabilizing algorithms and techniques in dynamic 
distributed
systems
- data and code stabilization
- algorithms for self-* error detection/correction

Safety:
- safety critical systems
- trust models and specifications
- semantics of trust, distrust, mistrust, over-trust, cheat, risk and
reputation
- trust-related security and privacy
- reliable and dependable systems
- fault-tolerant systems, hardware redundancy, robustness, survivable 
systems,
failure recovery

Security:
- security of network protocols
- security of sensor and mobile networks protocols
- secure architectures, frameworks, policy, intrusion detection/awareness
- proactive security
- self-* properties and their relation with classical fault-tolerance and
security
- security protocols for self-* systems

Networks and Applications:
- models of fault-tolerant communication
- stochastic, physical, and biological models to analyze self-* properties
- communication complexity
- data structures for efficient communication
- self-stabilizing hardware, software, and middleware
- algorithms for high-speed networks, sensors, wireless and robots networks
- mobile agents
- peer-to-peer networks, sensor networks, MANETs, and wireless mesh 
networks
- network topologies, overlays, and protocols
- protocols for secure and reliable data transport and search in 
wireless mesh
networks
- information storage and sharing in wireless mesh networks

Contributors are invited to submit a PDF file of their paper.  Submissions
should be no longer than 4800 words and should not exceed 12 pages on
letter-size paper using at least 11 point font and reasonable margins (the
page limit includes all figures, tables, and graphs).  Submissions should
include a cover page (that does not count towards the 12 page limit) that
includes paper title, authors and affiliations, contact author's e-mail
address, an abstract of the work in a few lines, and a few keywords.  
Submitted
papers may have appendices beyond the 12 page limit, but reviewers are 
free to
disregard any material beyond the 12 page limit.  A paper submitted to 
SSS 2006
is expected to be original research not previously published; a 
submission may
not be concurrently submitted or to any other conference, workshop, or 
journal.

The proceedings of the conference will be published in the Springer Verlag
Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS) series.  Selected papers will be
published in a special issue of the ACM Transactions on Autonomous and 
Adaptive
Systems (TAAS).

General Chair:
Mohamed Gouda, University of Texas at Austin, USA, [email-masked]

Program Co-chairs:
Ajoy K Datta University of Nevada Las Vegas, USA, [email-masked]
Maria Gradinariu, IRISA, France, [email-masked]

Local Arrangements Chair:
Jorge Cobb, University of Texas at Dallas, USA, [email-masked]
Ravi Prakash, University of Texas at Dallas, USA, [email-masked]

Publicity and Web Chair:
Florent Claerhout, IRISA, France, [email-masked]

Steering Committee:
Anish Arora, Ohio State University, USA, [email-masked]
Ajoy K. Datta, University of Nevada Las Vegas, USA, [email-masked]
Shlomi Dolev, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Israel, 
[email-masked]
Sukumar Ghosh, Chair, University of Iowa, USA, [email-masked]
Mohamed G. Gouda, University of Texas at Austin, USA, [email-masked]
Ted Herman, University of Iowa, USA, [email-masked]
Shing-Tsaan Huang, National Central University, Taiwan, 
[email-masked]
Toshimitsu Masuzawa, Osaka University, Japan, [email-masked]
Vincent Villain, Universie de Picardie, France, [email-masked]

-- 
Mip4 mailing list: [email-masked]
    Web interface: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4
     Charter page: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mip4-charter.html
Supplemental site: http://www.mip4.org/