Subject: [Mip4] Incorrect destination IP address in RRP?

From: "Kent Leung \(kleung\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 16:43:07 -0700

Hi.  I think the IP Destination Address of the RRP cannot be set to the
Home Address field of the RRP as stated in this section.  In the case
where RRQ contains the Home Address set to 0.0.0.0, and HA responds with
a non-zero Home Address field in the RRP, the IP Destination Address of
the RRP from FA should be set to 255.255.255.255.  At that point of
receiving the RRP, MN is not aware of its Home Address yet.  I notice
the same text in 3344bis and RFC 3344.

Section 3.7.2.3:
      IP Destination Address

               If the Registration Reply is generated by the Foreign
               Agent in order to reject a mobile node's Registration
               Request, and the Registration Request contains a Home
               Address which is not 0.0.0.0, then the IP Destination
               Address is copied from the Home Address field of the
               Registration Request.  Otherwise, if the Registration
               Reply is received from the Home Agent, and contains a
               Home Address which is not 0.0.0.0, then the IP
               Destination Address is copied from the Home Address field
               of the Registration Reply.  Otherwise, the IP Destination
               Address of the Registration Reply is set to be
               255.255.255.255. 
Suggested text:
     IP Destination Address

               If the Registration Reply is generated by the Foreign
               Agent in order to reject a mobile node's Registration
               Request, and the Registration Request contains a Home
               Address which is not 0.0.0.0, then the IP Destination
               Address is copied from the Home Address field of the
               Registration Request.  Otherwise, if the Registration
               Reply is received from the Home Agent, and the
Registration Request contains a
               Home Address which is not 0.0.0.0, then the IP
               Destination Address is copied from the Home Address field
               of the Registration Reply.  Otherwise, the IP Destination
               Address of the Registration Reply is set to be
               255.255.255.255. 

Kent

--
     |         |                   Kent Leung
    :|:       :|:                  IP Mobility Development
   :|||:      :|||:                 Internet Technologies Division
  :|||||||:  :|||||||:                Voice: +1.408.526.5030
.:|||||||||:.:|||||||||:.              Email: [email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> 
c i s c o S y s t e m s
http://safari.ciscopress.com/?XmlId=1-58705-132-X
<http://safari.ciscopress.com/?XmlId=1-58705-132-X> 

-- 
Mip4 mailing list: [email-masked]
    Web interface: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4
     Charter page: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mip4-charter.html
Supplemental site: http://www.mip4.org/