Subject: Re: [Mip4] Working Group Last Call fordraft-ietf-mip4-mobike-connectivity-00

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 14:05:18 -0700

Hello Jouni and all,

>>> [email-masked] wrote:
>>>
>>>>  o The draft seems to be biased toward enterprise networks, at
>>>>    least from the used terminology point of view. However, the
>>>>    same solution would nicely fit e.g. into 'mobile operator'
>>>>    controlled and hosted network deployments as well (thinking
>>>>    e.g. 3GPP stuff here). Maybe few words about that would be    
>>>>    good to have.. or slight change of wording (like enterprise
>>>>    network -> trusted network etc)
>>>
>>> its historical. MIPv4 has been working on
>>> Enterprise connectivity solutions using MIPv4 and
>>> VPNs for a while. so this was proposed an alternate
>>> solution when IKEv2 with MOBIKE is used to setup
>>> the VPN.
>>>
>>> we could in the appendix describe how this can be
>>> applied to an operator's trusted/untrusted network.
>>> however, this would need WG consensus.
>>
>> Some lines around this would be nice.
> 
> I will write something up and send to the
> mailing list soon.

here is some text for a new appendix.

Appendix A.  Applicability to a Mobile Operator Network

    The solution described in this document can also be applied to a
    Mobile Operator's network when the Operator deploys heterogeneous
    access networks and some of the access networks are considered as
    trusted networks and others as untrusted networks.  Figure 2
    illustrates such a network topology.

                                           +----------------------+
                                           |            +----+    |
                      +----------------+   |            |i-HA|    |
                      |                |   |            +----+    |
              (MN)----+    trusted     +---+                      |
                      | access network |   |   internal network   |
                      +----------------+   |                      |
                                           |                      |
                                           +----------+-----------+
                                                      |
                                                      |
                                                      |
                                                    [mVPN]
                      +----------------+              |
                      |                |              |
              (MN)----+   untrusted    +--------------+
              {mc}    | access network |
                      +----------------+

      Figure 2: Network Topology of a Mobile Operator with trusted and
                             untrusted networks

    An IPsec VPN gateway provides secure connectivity to the Operator's
    internal network for mobile nodes attached to an untrusted access
    network.  The VPN gateway supports MOBIKE extensions so that the
    IPsec tunnels survive any IP address change when the mobile node
    moves while attached to the untrusted access networks.

    When the mobile node is attached to the trusted access network it
    uses Mobile IP with the i-HA.  It uses the IP address obtained from
    the trusted access network as the co-located care-of address to
    register with the i-HA.  If a foreign agent is available in the
    trusted access network, the mobile node may use foreign agent care-of
    address.  If the mobile node moves and attaches to an untrusted
    access network, it sets up an IPsec tunnel with the VPN gateway to
    access the Operator's internal network.  It uses the IPsec TIA as the
    co-located care-of address to register with the i-HA thereby creating
    a Mobile IP tunnel inside an IPsec tunnel.

comments are welcome. you can find the latest version of the draft
at http://www.dvijay.com/ietf/internet-drafts/mip4/mipsec.txt

Vijay

-- 
Mip4 mailing list: [email-masked]
    Web interface: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4
     Charter page: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mip4-charter.html
Supplemental site: http://www.mip4.org/