From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked] documents.
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 03:12:07 +0100

>=20
>=20
> My thought would be that the destination IP address has to be the
> effective CoA (in order for the registration revocation message to
> reach the FA at all), but the Foreign Domain Address must be the
> CoA indicated by the FA in as CoA in the Registration Request message,
> so that the FA can retrieve the proper context for the revocation.
>=20
> [Arun]: This was my understanding too though the RFC doesn't
> explicitly mention it. So, what this means is that even though as per
> RFC 3519, the HA will use the source address of the reg. req. packet
> as the 'effective' CoA, for all HA-initiated MIP signalling

No!

We've *only* covered the Foreign Domain Address of the registration
revocation message here, nothing else.  If there are other cases not
covered in 3519, we need to inspect them individually to understand
the effects.

> messages
> like the registration revocation, the HA will still continue to use
> the original CoA - aka the private address of the FA.

I'm sure you mean this right, but what you're saying lacks the
necessary distinctions.

What we can say is that in the IP header, the HA follows Section 3.4
of RFC 3344, which is equivalent with using the effective CoA, while
for the Foreign Domain Address of a Registration Revocation, it uses
the CoA received in the Registration Request message from the FA,
which you call the original CoA.

> [Arun]: Can we add a text to RFC 3519 to explicitly state the use of
> CoA for HA-initiated mip signalling messages in NAT scenarios?

If we do a bis version of RFC 3519, it might make sense to add
text about the Foreign Domain Address of the Registration Revocation
message, but we can't add any general text about this without
understanding the effects.

> Do you mind if I send this reply to the MIP4 list too?
> [Arun]: I forgot to copy the group in my last mail. Pls do so.=20

Done.

	Henrik

--------------enig856503F2148EDC5424939A47
Content-Type: application/pgp-signature; name="signature.asc"
Content-Description: OpenPGP digital signature
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="signature.asc"

--------------enig856503F2148EDC5424939A47--

--===============1091950848==
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

-- 
Mip4 mailing list: [email-masked]
    Web interface: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4
     Charter page: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mip4-charter.html
Supplemental site: http://www.mip4.org/

--===============1091950848==--