Subject: [Mip4] IPSN Workshop DSI'07: Deadline extended

From: "DSI'07 Chairs" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 10:40:14 -0800

[Apologies if you receive multiple copies of this message.]

Paper submission deadline extended to March 2, 2007

**************************************************************
    C A L L    F O R   P A P E R S

            IPSN 2007 Workshop
Data Sharing and Interoperability on the World-wide Sensor Web (DSI'07)
    (http://research.microsoft.com/~sumann/DSI07)
    April 24, 2007, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA

(co-located with IPSN 2007, http://www.cse.wustl.edu/~lu/ipsn07.html)
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Over the last five years, the research community supporting embedded
sensing has benefited from the experiences of numerous real-world
deployments. Actual scientific applications are on the rise, and a
number of new environmental observatories are moving from planning to
implementation (NEON, WATERS). In parallel, we have seen an expansion
in the use smartphones and other consumer devices, supported by the
cellular network and capable of capturing acoustics and images,
creating a host of citizen-initiated sensing projects (e.g.,
videothevote.org).

While many algorithms for networking and control of embedded sensing
platforms anticipate within-deployment scaling of observational
resources, the introduction of diverse environmental observatories and
the variety of new urban applications suggests that interoperability,
and for the purpose of this workshop the ``sharing" of data and
models, represents another, equally important, kind of scaling. In
this workshop, we focus directly on the implications of widely shared
sensor data, models and algorithms, and the systems that might support
this.

Simply put, data is the raison d'etre of any sensing exercise. While
few researchers in the field would argue the point, too much attention
has been paid to the networking of distributed sensing and not enough
emphasis has been placed on the tools to manage, share, analyze, and
understand the data. Hosted in coordination with IPSN (emphasizing
algorithms for communications, coding theory, and distributed
estimation) and SPOTS (focusing on hardware and complete platforms),
this workshop will examine the various uses of data associated with
embedded sensing.

Topics of interest (but not limited to):
   - Data interoperability
   - Data Semantics
   - Extracting information from data and sensor data fusion
   - Managing data uncertainty
   - Systems for data integrity
   - Modeling sensor data
   - Managing spatial and temporal data (e.g., indexing, caching,
     query processing, etc.)
   - Automated or semi-automated processing of ad-hoc sensor data
   - Architecture to connect multiple sensor deployments together
   - Data visualization
   - Mash-up applications (the ability to pull in data/tools from
     multiple places and render it at a client) and workflows

Submissions:

   Authors are requested to submit original papers of no more than
   6 pages (standard IEEE proceedings two-column format),
   including figures, tables, and references in PDF that include
   contact information of all the authors.  If you have any
   questions regarding the submission process, please send e-mail
   to either Mark Hansen ([email-masked]) or
   Suman Nath ([email-masked]).
   See http://research.microsoft.com/~sumann/DSI07/ for submission
   instructions.

Important Dates:
        Papers due: Friday, March 2, 2007 (Extended and Firm)
        Notification: Friday, March 30, 2007
        Camera Ready: Friday, April 13, 2007
        Workshop: Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Organizing Committee:
        Mark Hansen, UCLA (PC Co-Chair)
        Suman Nath, Microsoft Research (PC Co-Chair)

Program Committee:
        Karl Aberer, EPFL
        Matthew Arrott, UCSD
        Amol Deshpande, University of Maryland
        Max Egenhofer, University of Maine
        Mark Hansen, UCLA
        Suman Nath, Microsoft Research
        Mani Srivastava, UCLA
        Andreas Terzis, JHU
        John Wilbanks, Science Commons

-- 
Mip4 mailing list: [email-masked]
    Web interface: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4
     Charter page: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mip4-charter.html
Supplemental site: http://www.mip4.org/