Subject: [Mip4] cfp: MoSO 2007; Mobile Services-oriented Architectures and Ontologies Workshop

From: MoSO 2007 Workshop <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 05:57:53 -0800 (PST)

***Apologies for multiple postings*** 

Call for Submissions

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mobile Services-oriented Architectures and Ontologies (MoSO 2007)
http://events.deri.at/MoSO2007/

at The 8th International Conference on Mobile Data Management 
(MDM'07)
http://mdm2007.uni-mannheim.de/

TIME AND PLACE: May 11, 2007, Mannheim, Germany

INVITED SPEAKER: 
Dr. Henry Tirri, Nokia Fellow, Professor
Theme of his talk: "MObile world 2015 and beyond"

SUBMISSION DEADLINE FEBRUARY 28, 2007 (EXTENTED)

All the papers should be submitted in electronic format (pdf version) 
using the link: 
http://www.easychair.org/MoSO2007/

--------------------------------------------------------

THEME OF THE WORKSHOP

The theme of the workshop is the intersection of three major trends in
today’s 
computing:

    * mobile computing becomes more and more important. Mobile portable 
      devices have outnumbered already traditional desktop computers and 
      will mould the view of computers future generations will have.
    * service-oriented computing is viewed by many analysts as the computing 
      paradigm of the near future. It allows for the dynamic integration of 
      functionality provided by different parties.
    * research on ontologies, in particular in connection with work on the 
      semantic web and semantic web services allows for machine
understandable 
      description of functionality and for automatic interaction of devices
without 
      the need for human involvement.

The proposed workshop investigates how mobile computing can benefit from 
service-orientation and ontologies and vice versa. The vision is to extend
the 
typically rather limited capabilities of mobile devices by using services
offered 
by other devices, network providers or third parties. Adding ontologies to
this 
scenario allows this extension to be transparent to the human user. Further, 
some high-end mobile telecom terminals can be called already multimedia 
computers due their programmability,processor speed, and gigabytes of
memory.
Already in the near future these devices could also utilize ontologies
locally during
service provisioning.  

GENERAL OVERVIEW

Today, computers are changing from big, grey, and noisy things on our desks
to 
small, portable, and evernetworked devices most of us are carrying around.
This 
new form of mobility imposes a shift in how we view computers and the way we
work 
with them. In developing countries like India and China ‘Mobile Internet’
can 
become the only Internet a large portion of population will get access to.

Services offer the possibility to overcome the limitations of individual
mobile 
devices by making functionality offered by others available to them on an
“as-needed” 
basis. Thus, using the service-oriented computing paradigm in mobile
environments 
will considerably enlarge the variety of accessible applications and will
enable 
new business opportunities in the mobile space by delivering integrated
functionalities 
across wireless networks. Network hosted mobile services will allow mobile
operators 
and third party mobile services provider to extend their businesses by
making their 
network services available to a broader audience (e.g. developers, service
providers, 
etc.); device hosted service will allow great potential for big innovations
for 
applications and services that can be provided by individual mobile device
owners.

These mobile services offer functionalities and behaviors that can be
described, 
advertised, discovered, and composed by others. Eventually, they will be
able to 
interoperate even though they have not been designed to work together. This
type 
of interoperability is based on the ability to understand other services and
reason 
about their functionalities and behaviors when necessary. In this respect,
mobile 
services can benefit from marrying the Semantic Web, which provides the
infrastructure 
for the extensive usage of distributed knowledge, to be deployed for
modeling services 
and add meaning, through ontologies, enabling lightweight discovery and
composition 
of mobile services. The ability to appropriately combine mobility and
semantic grounded 
data sharing has generated and is continuously triggering challenging
questions in 
several areas of computer science, engineering and networking.

This workshop aims to tackle the research problems around methods, concepts,
models, 
languages and technologies that enable new opportunities in the mobile space
through 
adoption, usage, and integration of mobile services and ontologies. Of
particular 
interest are the methodologies and technologies that would allow automatic
tasks to 
be performed with respect to mobile services and the use of ontologies in
this context.

This proposed workshop aims to bring together researchers and industry
attendees 
addressing many of these issues, and promote and foster a greater
understanding of 
mobile service and ontologies and their potential in enabling new business
opportunities 
in the mobile space.

TOPICS

The following indicates the general focus of the workshop. However, related 
contributions are welcome as well. 

- Service-oriented architectures for mobile internet services
- languages and methodologies for describing mobile Service-oriented systems
- discovery and matchmaking of ontology based services in the context of 
mobile service-oriented architectures
- adaptive selection of services in mobile service-oriented architectures
- ontology management in mobile environments
- contracting and negotiation with ontology-based mobile services (service 
level agreements)
- approaches to composition of ontology based services in the context of
mobile 
service-oriented systems
- invocation, adaptive execution, monitoring, and management of mobile
services
- interaction protocols and conversation models for mobile services-oriented 
architectures
- ontology-based security and privacy issues in mobile service-oriented
systems
- applications of mobile service-oriented architectures
- analysis and design approaches for mobile service-oriented architectures 
and services
- reasoning with mobile services
- ontology-based policies for mobile service-oriented architectures
- tools for discovery, matchmaking, selection, mediation, composition,
management, 
and monitoring of services in a mobile world
- mobile service development
- ontologies in dependable service provisioning

WORKSHOP FORMAT AND ATTENDANCE

The program will occupy a full day, and will include presentations of 
papers selected from the full papers category (see 'submissions' below). 

Please note that at least one author of each accepted submission must 
attend the workshop. The MDM 2007 conference formalities are applied 
for fees and respective organizational aspects. Submission of a paper 
is not required for attendance at the workshop. However, in the event 
that the workshop cannot accommodate all who would like to participate, 
those who have submitted a paper (in any category) will be given 
priority for registration.

SUBMISSIONS

Two categories of submissions are solicited:

(1) Full papers (up to 5 pages).
(2) Position papers (up to 2 pages).

All submissions should be formatted in the IEEE style. Formatting 
instructions and LaTeX macros are available on the IEEE computer society 
site:

LaTex macros:

    * ftp://pubftp.computer.org/Press/Outgoing/proceedings/IEEE_CS_Latex.zip

Formatting instructions:

    * ftp://pubftp.computer.org/Press/Outgoing/proceedings/instruct.doc
    * ftp://pubftp.computer.org/Press/Outgoing/proceedings/instruct.pdf
    * ftp://pubftp.computer.org/Press/Outgoing/proceedings/instruct.ps

All accepted full papers as well as all position papers of attendees 
will be published in post workshop proceedings in IEEE DL. Additionally, 
authors of selected papers will have the opportunity to submit extended 
versions of their papers for the upcoming MoSO journal issue.

All the papers should be submitted in electronic format (pdf version) 
using the link: http://www.easychair.org/MoSO2007/.

IMPORTANT DATES

Submissions: February 28, 2007
Acceptance: March 20, 2007
Final copy: April 1, 2007
Workshops day: May 11, 2007

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE

Nelson Baloian (University of Chile, Chile)
Dumitru Roman (DERI Innsbruck, Austria)
Jari Veijalainen (University of Jyväskylä, Finland)

PROGRAM COMMITTEE (confirmed; to be extended)

Martin Bauer, NEC Europe Ltd, Germany
Sonia Ben Mokhtar, Inria, France
Richard Benjamins, ISOCO, Spain
Yolande Berbers, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
Patricia Charlton. Motorola Labs, UK
John Domingue, Open University, UK
Fabien Gandon, INRIA Sophia Antipolis, France
Nikolaos Georgantas, INRIA, France
Martin Hepp, DERI Innsbruck, Austria
Eero Hyvönen, Helsinki Univ. of Technology, Finland
Qun Jin, Waseda University, Japan
Wai Gen Yee, Illinois Institute of Technology, USA
Takahiro Kawamura, Toshiba Corp, Japan
Ryszard Kowalczyk, SWIN, Australia
Antonio Liotta, Univ. of Essex, UK
Vladimir Oleshchuk, HIA, Norway
Stefan Poslad, Queen Mary Univ., UK
Tore Risch, Uppsala University, Sweden
Brahmananda Sapkota, DERI Galway, Ireland
Steffen Staab, University of Koblenz, Germany
Thomas Strang, University of Innsbruck, Austria
Vlad Tanasescu, Open University, UK
Do van Thanh, Telenor, Norway
Ioan Toma, DERI Innsbruck, Austria
Kristian Torp, Univ. of Aalborg, Denmark
Aphrodite Tsalgatiodou, University of Athens, Greece
Gustavo Zurita, Universidad de Chile, Chile
Alexander Wahler, Hanival mbH, Austria

Note: Check the workshop web site for updates to the PC members list.
-- 
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/cfp%3A-MoSO-2007--Mobile-Services-oriented-Architectures-and-Ontologies-Workshop-tf3239585.html#a9004676
Sent from the IETF - Mip4 mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

-- 
Mip4 mailing list: [email-masked]
    Web interface: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4
     Charter page: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mip4-charter.html
Supplemental site: http://www.mip4.org/