Subject: [Mip4] IEEE JSAC - CALL FOR PAPERS

From: "Dario Pompili" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 13:15:16 -0400

[We apologize in advance if you receive multiple copies of this CALL FOR
PAPERS]

IEEE JSAC - CALL FOR PAPERS

Underwater Wireless Communications and Networks

Wireless information transmission through the ocean is one of the enabling
technologies for the development of future ocean-observation systems, whose
applications include gathering of scientific data, pollution control,
climate recording, detection of objects on the ocean floor, and transmission
of images from remote sites. Implicitly, wireless signal transmission is
crucial for control of autonomous vehicles which will serve as mobile nodes
in the future information networks of distributed underwater sensors. 

Wireless communications underwater are usually established using acoustic
waves, while electro-magnetic waves can be used over short distances.
Acoustic communications are governed by three factors: limited bandwidth,
time-varying multipath propagation, and low speed of sound underwater.
Together, these factors result in a communication channel of poor quality
and high latency, thus ironically combining the worst properties of
terrestrial mobile radio and satellite channels. In addition, because
acoustic propagation is best supported at low frequencies, high-rate
underwater systems are inherently ultra-wideband. These facts necessitate
dedicated design of communication algorithms and network protocols at all
layers of the system architecture. The proposed JSAC special issue seeks
original research papers that explicitly address the unique technical
challenges encountered in underwater scenarios, including (but not limited
to) the following areas: 

      * Statistical channel modeling and estimation
      * Underwater channel and network capacity 
      * Bandwidth-efficient modulation/detection methods
      * Acoustic modem design and performance
      * Coding for underwater channels
      * Optical and RF underwater systems
      * Network topology and architecture
      * Resource allocation and spatial reuse
      * Multiple access techniques 
      * Medium access control protocols
      * Routing protocols
      * Transport protocols
      * Traffic characterization and modeling
      * Data aggregation, fusion, and storage
      * System integration and applications
      * Experimental platforms
      * Application experiences

Prospective authors should follow the IEEE J-SAC manuscript format described
in the Information for Authors at
http://www.jsac.ucsd.edu/Guidelines/info.html and submit a PDF version of
their complete manuscript to http://edas.info according to the following
timetable: 

Manuscript Submission:		FEBRUARY 15, 2008  
Acceptance Notification:	June 15, 2008  
Final Manuscript Due:		August 15, 2008  
Publication:			4th Quarter 2008

For any additional request, please contact Michele Zorzi, [email-masked]

GUEST EDITORS

John Heidemann, Information Sciences Institute ([email-masked])
Urbashi Mitra, University of Southern California ([email-masked])
James Preisig, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute ([email-masked])
Milica Stojanovic, Massachusetts Inst. of Technology ([email-masked])
Michele Zorzi, University of Padova ([email-masked])

Dario Pompili, Ph.D.

School of Electrical & Computer Engineering 
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA
Email: [email-masked]
http://users.ece.gatech.edu/dario/
Mobile: (404) 324-2342 

-- 
Mip4 mailing list: [email-masked]
    Web interface: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4
     Charter page: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mip4-charter.html
Supplemental site: http://www.mip4.org/