Subject: [Mip4] draft-ietf-mip4-gen-ext-03.txt

From: "McCann Peter-A001034" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 10:01:15 -0400

A question has arisen during the last call for 
draft-ietf-mip4-gen-ext-03.txt.

The draft includes the following text:

    There are mechanisms
    such as DHCP for the mobile node to configure information from the
    foreign network, but not from the home network when the mobile node
    is not attached to the home network.

However, this may not be strictly true.  In particular,
it might be possible to use a DHCPINFORM message through
the tunnel that was established with Mobile IP, thus eliminating
the need to encode DHCP options inside Mobile IP messages.
This would allow for a single configuration protocol to be
used whether the MN is at home or visiting.

I think we may have touched on this question during our last
chartering discussion but we might not have explored all the
ramifications.  Please, if you have an opinion either way 
express it now and give some background as to why you think so.
It is possible that we might turn this draft into a BCP-like
document for how to configure and run DHCP over the tunnel
to the home network.

-Pete

-- 
Mip4 mailing list: [email-masked]
    Web interface: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4
     Charter page: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mip4-charter.html
Supplemental site: http://www.mip4.org/

---

From: "Jayshree Bharatia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 11:37:58 -0500

Hi Pete,

The proposal in this draft was always considered as an alternative over
DHCP. There was never an intent saying that the mechanism discussed in
this draft is the only way to exchange configuration information between
two Mobile IP entities. This draft has been there for a long time and
honestly, I have lost track of who provided which comment which resulted
in the statement you quoted.

We have already gone through multiple WGLC on this draft and I don't
necessary agree on the change of status at this time. 

Regards,
Jayshree

-----Original Message-----
From: McCann Peter-A001034 [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 9:01 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [Mip4] draft-ietf-mip4-gen-ext-03.txt

    There are mechanisms

However, this may not be strictly true.  In particular,
it might be possible to use a DHCPINFORM message through
the tunnel that was established with Mobile IP, thus eliminating the
need to encode DHCP options inside Mobile IP messages. This would allow
for a single configuration protocol to be used whether the MN is at home
or visiting.

I think we may have touched on this question during our last chartering
discussion but we might not have explored all the ramifications.
Please, if you have an opinion either way 
express it now and give some background as to why you think so. It is
possible that we might turn this draft into a BCP-like document for how
to configure and run DHCP over the tunnel to the home network.

-Pete

---

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 10:19:24 -0700

Well, the statement is still valid. There is no document that describes 
how to run DHCP over the Mobile IPv4 tunnel. (it may be obvious to some 
folks but not to all).

I guess what we need to decide is whether we want a document that 
describes how to run DHCP over the Mobile IPv4 tunnel or still go with 
the mechanism described in draft-ietf-mip4-gen-ext.

Vijay