Subject: [Mip4] [ACM Middleware2007] CFP: 6th Workshop on Adaptive and Reflective Middleware (ARM2007) -- EXTENDED DEADLINE August 12, 2007

From: Seguti Gutierrez-Nolasco <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 14:23:55 -0700

(Apologies if you receive multiple messages from us.)

Please forward to interested colleagues.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

                        The 6th Workshop on
             Adaptive and Reflective Middleware
                                 (ARM2007)
                    Monday November 26, 2007
                     Newport Beach, CA, USA

                        CALL FOR PAPERS

	UPDATE: Submission deadline has been extended

Overview
--------

It is now widely acknowledged that middleware systems of the future
must flexibly adapt to increasing heterogeneity of devices and access
networks, and deal with highly dynamic change at different levels of
the system architecture. The prior workshops in this series (RMW00,
RMW03, RMW04, ARM05, ARM06) have explored a range of techniques to
support such adaptivity, and have also focused strongly on approaches
to self-adaptivity.

In the early days of the workshop series, much of the focus was on the
application of reflective techniques. However, as reflection became
mainstream, the scope of the workshop has increasingly diversified to
encompass a wider range of adaptivity approaches and techniques. In the
2007 edition we plan to continue this trend by considering a broad
range of relevant techniques including software componentization,
design patterns in support of adaptation, software architecture,
aspect-orientation, and control theory.

We also want to acknowledge strong trends towards diversification in
middleware environments leading to such areas peer-to-peer middleware,
network-centric middleware, grid environments, sensor networks, and
pervasive and mobile environments. This essentially implies considering
domain-specific adaptation approaches (e.g. generalized fault-tolerance
in peer-to-peer middleware).

Finally, we want to recognize that developing comprehensively-adaptive
middleware requires us to consider the nuances of system layers (e.g.
devices, OSs, networks, applications) other than the middleware 'layer'
itself.

Goal and Contributions
----------------------

Following the success of the past workshops in this series, ARM07  
aims to
provide researchers with a leading-edge view on the state of the art in
adaptive middleware.

The goal of the workshop is to gather active researchers in the field to
pool insight, and to share and develop new approaches to middleware
adaptivity. As indicated above, our aim is to also bring in researchers
involved in designing adaptive software at the architectural, OS and
network layers. We believe that a forum that includes experts from these
various communities will be extremely useful in fostering a more  
holistic
approach to future research in adaptive middleware.

Workshop Format
---------------

The workshop will be organized as a series of sessions, each devoted to
the presentation of papers on a common theme. Each session will end with
a mini-panel involving the presenters and driven by a pre-selected
"devil's advocate". In past years this format has been found to lead to
lively and productive discussion.

The workshop will include a special session for the presentation of
posters and demos of ongoing research efforts and prototypes.

The workshop will conclude with a wrap-up panel, moderated by one of the
organizers, with the aim of discussing and summarising key  
contributions,
research issues and trends.

Submission Guidelines
---------------------

Attendance is based on the submission of a position paper, poster or  
demo.
(In addition, other participants may be invited by the organizing
committee.) Position papers should not exceed 6 pages of text on  
letter/A4
paper in ACM format without page numbers. Document templates for most
popular document processing tools can be found at
http://www.acm.org/sigs/pubs/proceed/template.html. All papers and
abstracts should be submitted in either PS or PDF format. Poster and  
demo
submissions should be accompanied with a 2-page abstract.

Papers and abstracts should be submitted through the ARM07 EasyChair
online submissions website: http://www.easychair.org/ARM07/.

All accepted papers will be published via the ACM's Digital Library as
part of the "ACM International Conference Proceeding Series" (AICPS).
A few selected papers may additionally be invited to submit an extended
version to IEEE Distributed Systems Online.

Topics of interest to this workshop include, but are not limited to, the
following:

   * Design and performance of adaptive and self-adaptive middleware
     platforms
   * Application of adaptive and reflective middleware techniques to  
achieve
     reconfigurability and/or adaptability
   * Application of techniques to achieve separation of concerns in
     middleware environments
   * Design of Meta Object Protocols (MOP) for reflective middleware
   * Cross-layer interactions and adaptation mechanisms including  
network,
     OS and device level techniques
   * Adaptation and reflection in execution environments such as P2P
     networks, ad-hoc networks, and network-centric computing
   * Incorporation of non-functional properties such as real-time,
     fault-tolerance, security, etc. into middleware
   * Incorporation of adaptation into middleware-related software
     development techniques, such as design patterns, component
     frameworks or software architectures
   * Experiences with adaptive middleware technologies in specific
     application domains; e.g., sensor networks, ubiquitous and  
pervasive
     computing, mobile computing, grid computing etc.
   * Fundamental developments in the theory and practice of  
adaptation and
     reflection, as it relates to middleware
   * Examination of how complementary techniques, such as aspect- 
oriented
     programming, can solve problems in the design, implementation  
and use
     of adaptive middleware
   * Techniques to improve the performance and/or scalability of  
adaptive
     middleware techniques
   * Design and programming abstractions to manage the complexity of
     adaptive middleware
   * Approaches to maintain the integrity of adaptive middleware
   * Tools for adaptive middleware to support areas such as development,
     deployment, debugging or modeling
   * Hardware reconfigurability as it relates to middleware

Important Dates
---------------
Paper, poster and demo submissions.......August 12th, 2007
Acceptance notificati..............................September   1st, 2007
Camera-ready papers due.........................October   1st, 2007
Workshop...............................................November    
26th, 2007

Program Chairs
--------------
Fabio Costa.........................Federal University of Goias, Brazil

Publicity Chair
---------------
Sebastian Gutierrez-Nolasco.....University of California at Irvine, USA

Poster/Demo Chair
-----------------
t.b.d.

Publications Chair
------------------
t.b.d.

Technical Program Committee
---------------------------
Anders Andersen....................................University of  
Tromso, Norway
Gordon  
Blair.....................................................Lancaster  
University, UK
Roy Campbell..................University of Illinois at U. Champaign,  
USA
Renato  
Cerqueira...........................................................PUC- 
Rio, Brazil
Yvonne Coady.............................................University  
Victoria, Canada
Angelo Corsaro..........................................Alenia  
Marconi System, Italy
Fabio Costa......................................Federal University  
of Goias, Brazil
Geoff  
Coulson...................................................Lancaster  
University, UK
Edward Curry..............................National University of  
Ireland, Ireland
Frank  
Eliassen................................................University of  
Oslo, Norway
Christopher Gill......................Washington University in St.  
Louis, USA
Sebastian Gutierrez-Nolasco....University of California at Irvine, USA
Jadwiga Indulska...........................University of Queensland,  
Australia
Fabio Kon................................................University  
of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Joseph Loyall.....................................................BBN  
Technologies, USA
Priya Narasimhan..............................Carnegie Mellon  
University, USA
Manish  
Parashar................................................Rutgers  
University, USA
Omer F.  
Rana...........................................................Cardiff U 
niversity, UK
Corrado  
Santoro.............................................University of  
Catania, Italy
Douglas Schmidt...........................................Vanderbilt  
University, USA
Francisco Silva e Silva............Federal University of Maranhao,  
Brazil
Richard Staehli...................................Independent  
Consultant, Norway
Alexandre Sztajnberg..........State University of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Carolyn  
Talcott.......................................................SRI  
International, USA
Gerry Tesauro.................................................IBM  
T.J.Watson Labs, USA
Nalini Venkatasubramanian......University of California at Irvine, USA
Nanbor Wang....................................................Tech-X  
Corporation, USA
Mazin  
Yousif.....................................................Intel  
Research Labs, USA

Organizing Committee
--------------------
Renato  
Cerqueira.............................................................PU 
C-Rio, Brazil
Fabio Costa.......................................Federal University  
of Goias, Brazil
Geoff  
Coulson.....................................................Lancaster  
University, UK
Sebastian Gutierrez-Nolasco.....University of California at Irvine, USA
Omer F.  
Rana............................................................Cardiff  
University, UK
Nalini Venkatasubramanian.......University of California at Irvine, USA

Contact Info: [email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Middleware2007 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman.ics.uci.edu/mailman/listinfo/middleware2007

-- 
Mip4 mailing list: [email-masked]
    Web interface: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4
     Charter page: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mip4-charter.html
Supplemental site: http://www.mip4.org/