Subject: [Mip6] Address Selection API draft

From: Samita Chakrabarti <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 14:02:19 -0800 (PST)

A revised version of Address Selection API draft, 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chakrabarti-ipv6-addrselect-api-02.txt
has been published recently. At Vienna IETF, the working group
was polled to see if this document should become a WG item -
I understand that more people wanted to read the draft to make a 
final decision.

The following updates have been made as per working group input since then:

* Added comments on JAVA API which might use this draft as a
     guideline. (section 1)
         
* A section on design alternatives of API (section 2)

* The Address selection API draft now addresses specific destination
    address selection as well as source address selection.
    socket option is changed from IPV6_SRC_PREFERENCES to
    IPV6_ADDR_PREFERENCES (section 4)
    
* Introduced new flags for altering rules of default selection
   of destination address scope (section 4 and 5)
   
* Discusses application requirement to support this API draft
    and implementation notes (section 6 and 7)
    
* Discusses the choice of address selection rules from RFC3484 in
  the context of usefulness of this API (section 8)
  
----------------------------------------------

Please provide comments on this draft to the [email-masked] list
and to the authors (CC'ed).

Since it has been identified in the IPv6 group that a API is
necessary for application specific control of address selection
on a rfc3484 compliant system, the authors like to close
any remaining issues on the list and request the working group 
to take this work as a working group item.

Thanks,
-Samita

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6