Subject: [Mip6] A Question on Mobile IPv6 -- Alternate Care-of Address option

From: "Jee J.Z." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 18:42:43 -0000

Dear all,

May I ask a question on MIPv6:

About the Alternate Care-of Address option, in 5.2.6
(draft-ietf-mobileip-ipv6-24) it reads:

"...However, a different care-of address MAY be specified by including an
Alternate Care-of Address mobility option in the Binding Update (see Section
6.2.5).  When such a message is sent to the correspondent node and the
return routability procedure is used as the authorization method, the
Care-of Test Init and Care-of Test messages MUST have been performed for the
address in the Alternate Care-of Address option (not the Source
Address)...."

And in 6.2.5 it reads:

"...Normally, a Binding Update specifies the desired care-of address in the
Source Address field of the IPv6 header.  However, this is not possible in
some cases, such as when the mobile node wishes to indicate a care-of
address which it cannot use as a topologically correct source address
(Section 6.1.7 and Section 11.7.2) or when the used security mechanism does
not protect the IPv6 header (Section 11.7.1)...."

Since the Alternate Care-of Address is only valid in Binding Update message,
how can the Correspondent Node know this alternate Care-of Address when
performing return routability procedure?

Thanks in advance,
Jee

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 13:47:01 +0200

> performing return routability procedure?

The return routability packets (COTI and COT messages) are sent using
the care-of address. That is, the same address that can be found from
the Alt-COA option should also appear in the IPv6 Source Address field
of the COTI packet.

--Jari