Subject: [Mip6] NSF Informational Meeting: Networking of Sensor Systems

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 15:03:29 -0800

(Apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CfP).

			   Call for Participation
			   -----------------------

		 NSF Informational Meeting for the NeTS Program 
		  Focus Area: Networking of Sensor Systems
            ---------------------------------------------------------

  	   Meeting Website: http://enl.usc.edu/sensorsystems_meeting
          Relevant NSF Solicitation: 
          http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2004/nsf04540/nsf04540.htm

The NSF recently issued a new solicitation 04-540 on Research in
Networking Technology and Systems.  One of the focus areas in this
solicitation is the Networking of Sensor Systems.  This focus area is
concerned with the design and development of protocols, operating
systems, and network architectures and with building systems that
facilitate constructing networks of sensor systems. The overall goal
is to make it as easy to assemble a network of sensor systems in the
next few years as it became in the 1980s to assemble a LAN of
workstations using the BSD Unix protocol stack and socket interface
and Ethernet line cards.

This is a call for participation in a one-day informational meeting
that will help potential proposers to get background information on
the focus area and on the state of sensor systems research. The
meeting has limited seating so please RSVP early.

Logistical Details
------------------
Date:  February 20, 2004

Venue: Marina Del Rey Hotel, CA
       Hotel Information:
          Marina Del Rey Hotel
          13534 Bali Way
          Marina del Rey, CA 90292
       Hotel Reservations:
          Call 1-800-882-4000
          Special Rate: $99.00
          Ask for: USC-NSF Networking of Sensor Systems Workshop
          Cutoff date: February 6, 2004
       Hotel Shuttle:
          Hotel has free shuttle from LAX, call 310-745-5181 for pickup.

Web site: http://enl.usc.edu/sensorsystems_meeting
Registration: http://enl.usc.edu/sensorsystems_meeting
Registration Fee: $50, payable on-site.

Contact: [email-masked] for questions about the 
         workshop.

Goals of the Informational Meeting
----------------------------------

The purpose of the informational meeting is to share with the
community the goals and scope of the focus area.  By including
presentations from researchers, vendors, and applications experts,
this meeting will enable attendees to get a sense of the state of the
art in sensor networks, and the key challenges facing the focus area
and sub-areas thereof. It will help the community better target
proposals; PIs will be able to conserve efforts by understanding which
proposals would be completely out of scope.  Finally, it will start to
build a community for the focus area, perhaps encouraging early
collaboration and potentially strengthening the pool of submissions.

Format
------

The meeting will start with the cognizant NSF program officer(s)
presenting an overview of the focus area, and providing some context
for the focus area within the broader networking program at NSF.  This
presentation will include the technical and logistical details of the
focus area, and will be followed by an open question and answer
session from the attendees.

This break will then be followed by five panels of approximately one
hour each. Each panel will consist of speakers drawn from the
community who will cover different aspects of sensor network systems.
Each panel will have three panelists who will summarize lessons
learned from the first generation of sensor systems, and discuss the
challenges in each of the sub-areas.

Tentative Agenda
----------------

7:45am - 8am: Continental Breakfast

8am-10am: Overview and details of Focus Area
	  Guru Parulkar, NSF

10am-10:30am: Break

10:30am-11:30am: Network and protocol architecture for sensor systems

11:30am-12:30pm: Network programming and querying

12:30pm-1:30pm: Lunch

1:30pm-2:30pm: Algorithms for networks of sensor systems

2:30pm-3:00pm: Break and vendor demonstrations

3:00pm-4:00pm: Experiences with testbeds and applications

4:00pm-5:00pm: Integration of research and education

5:00pm-5:15pm: Closing remarks

A more detailed agenda will be posted on the website closer
to the meeting date.

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6