Subject: [Mip6] AH ICV covers Home Address of rt hdr 2 of BAck from HA?

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 19:53:01 +0100

Hi,

I'm wondering whether the ICV computation of an AH extension header in
transport mode with Binding Acknowledgement Mobility Header covers the
Type 2 Routing Header too (BAck is sent by HA to MN when in a foreign
network).  I understand that such an ICV does cover a Type 0 routing
header, this being stated explicitely in rfc2402bis.txt, routing header
type 0 being mutable but predictable.  However, I can't find text in
draft-24 saying that Routing Header Type 2 is mutable but predictable.
Is it?

Alex

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6

---

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 11:17:44 -0800

it should be the same. Routing Header type 2 is also mutable
and predictable.

draft-ietf-mobileip-mipv6-ha-ipsec-03.txt says

    o  IPsec AH [3] authenticator calculation MUST be performed as if a
       packet with a Type 2 Routing header would have the home address in
       the IPv6 destination address field and the care-of address in the
       Routing header.  Type 2 Routing header should be treated by IPsec
       in the same manner as Type 0 Routing header.

the last sentence should answer your question.

Vijay

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 20:33:10 +0100

> the last sentence should answer your question.

Stated that way, yes, it does. So an implementer should implement it
that way: routing header Type2 _is_ mutable but predictable, like Type 0.

I'm not looking for text corrections, just wanted to say that I can't
find that text you're citing in draft-ha-ipsec-06 (why do you refer to 03?)

Thanks for the clarification.

Alex

---

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 11:49:25 -0800

> find that text you're citing in draft-ha-ipsec-06 (why do you refer to 03?)

that is something I am unhappy with. all references to AH were
removed. I dont remember which issue this was discussed in.

Vijay