Subject: [Mip6] PODC 2004: Call for Papers

From: Panagiota Fatourou <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 14:20:52 +0200 (EET)

Please accept our apologies if you receive multiple copies.
We would appreciate it if you distribute the cfp to your collegues
and post it on the bulletin boards of your Department.

==============================================================================

                            CALL FOR PAPERS

          Twenty-third Annual ACM SIGACT-SIGOPS Symposium on
                  PRINCIPLES OF DISTRIBUTED COMPUTING
                              (PODC 2004)

                            July 25-28, 2004
                    St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

                     http://www.podc.org/podc2004/

Submission deadline:       February 15, 2004
Acceptance notification:         May 9, 2004
Camera-ready copy due:          May 29, 2004

PODC 2004 is colocated with the Workshop on Concurrency and
Synchronization in Java Programs; joint submission is encouraged.

How to submit
=============

Electronic submissions are strongly encouraged; information on how
to submit electronically will be available at

    http://www.podc.org/podc2004/.

Authors unable to submit electronically should contact the program
chair, Shay Kutten ([email-masked]), to receive
instructions.

PODC does not allow anonymous submissions. Submissions are considered
confidential, and are only distributed for the purposes of evaluating
whether they are appropriate for presentation at PODC. It is expected
that at least one of the authors of each accepted paper attends the
conference and presents the paper.

SCOPE
=====

PODC continues to broaden the conference, and solicits papers on all
areas of distributed systems.  We encourage submissions dealing with
any aspect of distributed computing, including theory and practice,
systems, design, specification, verification, implementation,
application, and properties of distributed systems.  The common goal
is to shed light on the principles of distributed computing.

This year, we have a special track to emphasize the area of Algorithms
and Data Structures for the Internet.  We also continue to actively
seek papers in areas emphasized in recent PODCs, such as the
implementation, analysis, evaluation, and deployment of real systems
(from PODC 2002), and the intersection of security and distributed
computing (from PODC 2003).  We generally favor work that explores new
territory or reflects on experience with practical applications of the
community's knowledge.

Topics of interest include, but are not limited to, the following
subjects in networks and distributed systems:
 - Internet algorithms and data structures
 - Distributed computing issues in the Internet and the Web
 - Distributed algorithms, correctness, complexity, application
 - Synchronization: hardware, software, algorithms, architecture, practice
 - Cryptographic and security protocols, security of distributed systems
 - Distributed middleware platforms, operating systems, databases
 - Mobile computing, ad hoc and sensor networks
 - P2P computing, overlay networks
 - High-performance distributed computing and the computational grid
 - Multiprocessor/cluster architectures, algorithms, experience
 - Agents' cooperation, mobile agents
 - Location-aware distributed computing, distributed robots' cooperation
 - Networking: architecture, design, control, services, applications
 - Communication network protocols
 - Transport and application layer protocols, routing, scheduling,
   resource allocation
 - Shared memory
 - Algorithmic mechanism design
 - Fault tolerance, availability, self stabilization
 - Specification, semantics, and verification
 - Distributed data management and search

Conference presentations will have three formats:

REGULAR PRESENTATIONS (about 20-25 minutes, depending on the time
constraints of the conference), accompanied by papers of up to 10
pages in the proceedings, are intended for contributions reporting on
original research, submitted exclusively to this conference (or
jointly to this conference and to the Workshop on Concurrency and
Synchronization in Java Programs). Submission to a journal is allowed
(but papers already published in a journal should not be submitted).

BRIEF ANNOUNCEMENTS (up to 10 minutes, depending on the time
constraints of the conference), accompanied by one-page abstracts in
the proceedings (each marked as brief announcement), are encouraged
as an opportunity for conference participants to be exposed to work in
progress or published in other conferences.  Links to longer versions
expanding the brief announcements will be collected at a web site.

POSTERS AND DEMONSTRATIONS include graphic material and demo prepared
by authors for exhibitions.  Time during the conference will be
allotted for participants to inspect the posters, and for authors to
be available to answer questions.

PROGRAM COMMITTEE
=================

James Aspnes                    Yale
Gregory Chockler                MIT
Edith Cohen                     AT&T Labs
Panagiota Fatourou              U. Ioannina
Joan Feigenbaum                 Yale
Christof Fetzer                 AT&T Labs
Jaap-Henk Hoepman               U. Nijmegen
David Karger                    MIT
Idit Keidar                     Technion
Shay Kutten, Chair              Technion
Victor Luchangco                Sun Labs
Keith Marzullo                  UCSD
Toshimitsu Masuzawa             Osaka U.
Michael Mitzenmacher,           Harvard U.
      Special Track Chair
Rafail Ostrovsky                UCLA
Boaz Patt-Shamir                HP Labs, Tel-Aviv U.
Michel Raynal                   U. Rennes
Alex Shvartsman                 U. Connecticut
Gadi Taubenfeld                 IDC
Mark Tuttle                     HP Labs
Roger Wattenhofer               ETHZ

SUBMISSIONS FORMAT
==================

All electronic submissions must be in Postscript or PDF format, and
capable of being previewed by Ghostview.  Please include the following
information on the cover page (1) contact person's name, phone, fax,
email and complete postal mail address, (2) title of paper, (3) names
and affliations of all authors, (4) a brief abstract, (5) keywords,
and (6) the number of pages.  In addition, please indicate in boldface
below the brief abstract whether the paper is also submitted to the
Workshop on Concurrency and Synchronization in Java Programs, whether
any author is a member of the program committee, and, for a regular
presentation, whether it is eligible for the best student paper award
(see details below), and whether it should be considered a brief
announcement (if not accepted as a regular presentation).

It is recommended that each submission begins with a succinct statement
of the problem, summary of the main results, and a brief explanation
of their significance, all suitable for a nonspecialist.  Technical
development of the work, directed to the specialist, should follow.

A submission for REGULAR PRESENTATION must be no longer than 10 pages
on letter-size paper using at least 11-point font (4,500 words).
Additional necessary details may be included in a clearly marked
appendix, which will be read at the discretion of the program
committee.

A submission for BRIEF ANNOUNCEMENT must be no longer than 3 pages on
letter-size paper using at least 11-point font.  If requested by the
authors (by indicating on the cover page), a submission that is not
selected for regular presentation will also be considered for the
brief announcement format.  Such a request will not affect
consideration of the paper for regular presentation.

More details about submissions for POSTERS AND DEMONSTATIONS will
appear on the PODC web site.

Submissions deviating significantly from these guidelines will be
rejected without consideration of their merits.  Late submissions will
not be read or considered.

BEST STUDENT PAPER AWARD
========================

A prize will be given to the best student paper.  A paper is eligible
if at least one author is a full-time student at the time of
submission, and the contribution of the student is significant.  This
must be noted on the cover page.  The program committee may decline to
make the award or split it.

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6