Subject: [Mip6] New Draft with Bootstrapping Protocol

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 16:01:34 -0800

Hi folks,

Samita, Erik Nordmark, and I have written a new draft with a solution for
the MIPv6 bootstrapping problem. Until it shows up in the Internet Drafts
registry, you can find it here:

http://www.geocities.com/kempf42/draft-chakrabarti-mip6-bmip-00.txt

The draft is meant to be an alternative to an AAA/EAP based solution for
those networks where AAA is either not deployed or where the network service
provider is not integrated, i.e. there is a separate network service
provider and mobility service provider.

            jak

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 20:09:36 +0200

James,

> Actually, the model I had in mind is what we use in our  office, which I can
> imagine might be fairly common (though I haven't checked).
> 
> We buy dialup roaming service from a roaming broker, but our local WLAN uses
> one of the new WLAN switches that requires the host to have an IPsec session
> up with the corporate VPN in order to get into the corporate LAN. So we're
> handling the WLAN access authentication ourselves, while our roaming broker
> handles the dialup service. We only have a handful of access points (its a
> small office) so the burden of administering our WLAN isn't so high,
> especially since the authentication and authorization part is shared by the
> VPN, which we need for dialup (or remote hotspot) too.

Our VPN uses RADIUS authentication, so there is AAA involved.  Most - I can't
say all - VPN solutions seem to involve RADIUS.  

John