Subject: RE: [Mip6] New Draft with Bootstrapping Protocol

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 08:44:49 +0200

James,

> My interpretation of "infrastructure" here, based on my memory of the design
> team discussion, is different from yours. I don't believe the design team
> and problem statement draft meant to confine the solution to a scenario
> where AAA is required between the host and the access network for initial
> network access. This would shut out 90% of the worldwide hotspot service
> providers, who today use UAM for access, from using bootstrapping for Mobile
> IPv6, to say nothing of the many enterprise and small business network
> providers who don't use AAA for network access. 

About enterprise & small business networks.  I think that 90% might not be
exactly accurate. It depends upon what we are discussing.  Any enterprise
using dialup is using RADIUS for authentication.  For internal connectivity,
most are using DHCP for bootstrapping, but in most cases there is some user
login & password needed, quite often with a RADIUS server somewhere in the network.

My view on this discussion is that use of RADIUS and Diameter is not overly burdensome,
but we should have a bootstrapping framework that would support other mechanisms.
I'm not so sure in how much detail we need to go into these other mechansims,
because there are alot of proprietary solutions out there.

Just my 2 cents.
John

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 07:27:55 -0800

John,

>exactly accurate. It depends upon what we are discussing.  Any enterprise

The 90% was intended to mean hotspot networks, not enterprise networks.

>login & password needed, quite often with a RADIUS server somewhere in the
network.

Yes, but if they are using a roaming broker such as iPass, they might not
deploy RADIUS themselves. Thus, they might not have access to the RADIUS
infrastructure. If they want to install a couple of access points for local
use, they shouldn't have to go to their roaming broker. Small and medium
sized businesses use this model.

            jak

---

From: Marc Manthey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 16:47:07 +0100

> The 90% was intended to mean hotspot networks, not enterprise networks.

this is  what i mentioned  earlier.

>> login & password needed, quite often with a RADIUS server somewhere 
>> in the
> network.
> Yes, but if they are using a roaming broker such as iPass

> Thus, they might not have access to the RADIUS
> use, they shouldn't have to go to their roaming broker.

thanks for the explanation and this is why we need a solution for that.

---

From: Alper Yegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 10:29:13 -0800

Hi John,

> For internal
> connectivity,
> login & password needed, quite often with a RADIUS server somewhere in
the
> network.

I think it matters what is logged in. I'm not sure if it is always to
"IP access service". I don't know the percentages, but sometimes it is a
login to PC, or to a workgroup domain (NT, etc.). In those cases, the
host is already enabled with IP access service.

Alper