Subject: [Mip6] comments on chakrabarti-mip6-bmip

From: Alper Yegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 14:58:29 -0800

Hello,

This is an interesting I-D for "discovering HA" part of MIP6
bootstrapping problem. Instead of knowing a home subnet or IPv6
addresses of home agents, knowing the domain name is sufficient to learn
HA addresses. 

I think for the "AAA" discussions, the document should clearly state
what AAA-enabled service is being addressed. The implicit assumption is
that it refers to "AAA for network access service". But in fact, there
is also "AAA for Mobile IPv6 service", and I'm not sure if a complete
solution can be developed without that. The I-D is not discussing how MN
is authenticated/authorized for the mobility service.

It is not likely that an HA learned via DNS would already have
authentication/authorization information for the MN. Hence, even a
DNS-learned HA is likely to rely on a MIP6-AAA application to
authenticate the MN. Please see draft-yegin-mip6-aaa-fwk-00.txt. And
(imho) real value of IKEv2 is that it allows use of EAP, which fits into
MN-HA-AAA model described in mip6-aaa-fwk I-D. Not a standard, but
products already assign IP addresses via IKEv1. 

Alper

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 15:09:44 -0800

Alper,

Thank you for the thoughtful comments. We'll try to incorporate them on the
next draft.

            jak