Subject: [Mip6] RE: Question on draft-giaretta-mip6-amsk-00

From: Gerardo Giaretta <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 10:44:53 +0100

Hi Vidya,

sorry for my delayed response. See below.. 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Narayanan Vidya-CVN065 [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2005 11:38 PM
> To: [email-masked]'; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: Question on draft-giaretta-mip6-amsk-00
> 
> 
> Hi Gerardo,
> The draft has obvious advantages when the mobile node is 
> using a link layer that does EAP-based authentication. I was 
> wondering if the draft should address an alternate mechanism 
> when, say, the mobile node powers up in an access network 
> that does not use EAP for authentication and needs 
> bootstrapping of the SA with the HA? Perhaps it means that 
> MIP-AAA signaling should be used - but, the mobile node 
> should make this decision based on whether it used EAP for 
> access to L2 or not. 
> 
> I would think that addressing an alternative will make the 
> draft applicable to mobile nodes that roam across different 
> types of access networks and that may power up anywhere. 
> 
> Thoughts? 
> 

The draft simply defines a mechanism to derive a key for MIPv6
bootstrapping from the EAP hierarchy. For this reason I think it is not
possible to generalize the mechanism for non-EAP access networks. 

If in the access network EAP is not used (e.g. 3G cellular networks),
the shared secret between MN and HA must be derived in a different way,
depending on the authentication protocol in use. Otherwise you can
bootstrap MIPv6 separately from the authentication for network access,
using for example IKEv2 (and EAP authentication between MN and HA) as
specified in draft-chakrabarti-mip6-bmip.

Regards,
--Gerardo

> Thanks,
> Vidya

Gruppo Telecom Italia - Direzione e coordinamento di Telecom Italia S.p.A.

====================================================================
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This message and its attachments are addressed solely to the persons
above and may contain confidential information. If you have received
the message in error, be informed that any use of the content hereof
is prohibited. Please return it immediately to the sender and delete
the message. Should you have any questions, please send an e_mail to
[email-masked]. Thank you
====================================================================

Gruppo Telecom Italia - Direzione e coordinamento di Telecom Italia S.p.A.

====================================================================
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This message and its attachments are addressed solely to the persons
above and may contain confidential information. If you have received
the message in error, be informed that any use of the content hereof
is prohibited. Please return it immediately to the sender and delete
the message. Should you have any questions, please send an e_mail to 
[email-masked]. Thank you
====================================================================

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6