Subject: RE: [Mip6] mip6-aaa frameworks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 13:22:10 +0200

Hi Julien,

> > The end2end transport between the AAA and the MN is the key. Use of EAP
> > for this somewhat network access unrelated "configuration" is not
> > recommended as far as I understand. 
> 
> I'd like to understand why this is not recommended. Because it has not
> been designed for this purpose ?

EAP is not a configuration protocol, it is an authentication protocol.
RFC 3748 (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3748.txt) says:

   EAP was designed for use in network access authentication, where IP
   layer connectivity may not be available.  Use of EAP for other
   purposes, such as bulk data transport, is NOT RECOMMENDED.

   Since EAP does not require IP connectivity, it provides just enough
   support for the reliable transport of authentication protocols, and
   no more.

So that is why many people feel that using EAP would not be a good idea here.

John

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6

---

From: Julien Bournelle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 13:39:02 +0100

Hi john,

> So that is why many people feel that using EAP would not be a good idea here.

In our proposal, we use EAP for network access authentication and after
the authentication process we piggyback Mobile IPv6 configuration
information in the exchange. 

However, some EAP methods can't support this. 

As you mention EAP is not a configuration protocol but we could also add
that AAA protocol are not configuration protocol. Thus should we avoid
using AAA protocol for Mobile IPv6 bootstrapping ?

-- 
[email-masked]