Subject: RE: [Mip6] Consensus call: draft-giaretta-mip6-aaa-ha-goals-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 12:43:02 +0200

James,

Before going into detail about your mail, can you clarify one thing:

> As I high level comment, I think we need to consider exactly what the
> purpose of defining any requirements for standardization of the HA-AAA
> interface are, and similarly for any other AAA interfaces (like
> HA-AAA-NAS/DHCP server). From a service provider perspective, I believe the
> top level goal should be to facilitate inter-operator roaming. 

I would say this is too simplistic.  I agree that facilitating inter-operator
roaming is a good thing, but I think we need to also consider intra-operator
roaming as well.  Its a complicated business landscape at the moment, mergers,
acquisitions, etc.  Its likely that a service provider may have more than
one access technology, maybe more than one AAA system, or they may have some
relationship with a parent, sister or daughter company.  I think getting a 
solution that works for inter-operator and intra-operator roaming would be a
good thing.

Do you think that this is within your proposal?

John

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:08:59 -0800

John,

OK, then how about "inter-administrative domain roaming"? If two operators
merge and originally used some kind of inter-operator solution because they
are two different administrative domains, then they could continue to use
that.

            jak

----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 2:43 AM
Subject: RE: [Mip6] Consensus call: draft-giaretta-mip6-aaa-ha-goals-00.txt

James,

> top level goal should be to facilitate inter-operator roaming.

I would say this is too simplistic.  I agree that facilitating
inter-operator
roaming is a good thing, but I think we need to also consider intra-operator
roaming as well.  Its a complicated business landscape at the moment,
mergers,
acquisitions, etc.  Its likely that a service provider may have more than
one access technology, maybe more than one AAA system, or they may have some
relationship with a parent, sister or daughter company.  I think getting a
solution that works for inter-operator and intra-operator roaming would be a
good thing.

John