Subject: [Mip6] mip6-aaa frameworks (updated)

From: Alper Yegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:44:35 -0800

I have added new references. If I missed any, let me know.

Framework 1:
------------
Using network access AAA to deliver MIP6 configuration parameters from
the AAA server to the MN. 

MIP6 configuration is directly delivered from the AAA server to the MN
during network access AAA, in-band with the authentication (e.g.,
transported by EAP or EAP methods).

Related I-Ds:

draft-giaretta-mip6-authorization-eap-01
draft-le-aaa-mipv6-requirements-03
draft-ohnishi-mip6-aaa-problem-statement-00

Discussion:

The end2end transport between the AAA and the MN is the key. Use of EAP
for this somewhat network access unrelated "configuration" is not
recommended as far as I understand. One can design his own EAP method to
do that, yet that would have limited applicability.

Framework 2:
------------
Using network access AAA to deliver MIP6 configuration parameters from
the AAA server to the NAS. It is assumed that parameters will be
delivered from the NAS to the MN via another protocol (e.g., DHCP, PANA,
etc.)

Related I-Ds:

draft-chowdhury-mip6-bootstrap-radius-00 (home to visited domain
protocol)
draft-jang-dhc-haopt-00 (visited domain to MN protocol)
draft-ohba-mip6-boot-arch-dhcp-00.txt (visited domain to MN protocol)
draft-jee-mip6-bootstrap-pana-00.txt (visited domain to MN protocol)

Discussion:

This is similar to NAS learning the IP address for the connected host
via RADIUS, and delivering it to the host via DHCP.

James had a comment regarding not having to support intra-operator
interoperability. I think regardless of the deployment, interoperability
between vendors is the important. Also, I was not sure on the complexity
argument. 3GPP2 has already chosen this scheme. Some other SDO(s) may
follow the suit.

Framework 3:
------------
Piggybacking MIP6 signaling (BU) with network access AAA. In-band with
the network access authentication execution, the MN delivers
(piggybacks) a BU to the AAA server. The AAA server may have to relay
the BU to the HA (unless collocated).  

Related I-D:

draft-le-aaa-mipv6-requirements-03

Discussion:

While the performance benefits are clear, limited applicability (not
always the network access and mobility services are bundled) and
complexity are concerning.

Framework 4:
------------
A backend AAA protocol is executed between the HA and the AAA server in
response to the MIP6 signaling between the MN and the HA. Similar to the
use of AAA protocols with MIPv4 co-located care-of address case.

Related I-Ds:

draft-giaretta-mip6-aaa-ha-goals-00.txt
draft-yegin-mip6-aaa-fwk-00.txt
draft-chakrabati-mip6-bmip-00.txt (delivers HA via DNS; relies on fwk4)
draft-bournelle-pana-mip6-00 (delivers local HA, HoA from NAS; relies on
fwk4)
draft-tschofenig-mip6-bootstrapping-pana-00.txt (runs PANA to HA; relies
on fwk4)
draft-jee-mip6-bootstrap-pana-00.txt (relies on fwk4)

Discussion:
This one appears to be the most needed framework. It is assumed that MN
already knows the HA address. 

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6