Subject: [Mip6] HA Unavailability Alerting

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 14:29:39 -0800

In the context of the bootstrapping discussion, I've written a draft about
how to inform a mobile node that its home agent is about to become
unavailable, and therefore that the mobile node should look for a new home
agent or otherwise perform bootstrapping if necessary. AFICT, there's no way
to do this in RFC 3775. The draft is available at:

http://www.geocities.com/kempf42/draft-kempf-mip6-ha-alert-00.txt

until it shows up in the drafts repository. The draft proposes a minor
modification to home agent discovery for this purpose, but it is meant to be
more for discussion, as there are a couple of open questions posed.

            jak

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6

---

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 18:20:56 -0800

Jim,

the HAHA protocol already defines such a message, "Home Agent
Switch Request". 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-wakikawa-mip6-nemo-haha-spec-00.txt
the HA can send this message to MN to indicate to the MN that
it should perform DHAAD again and pick another Home Agent.
the message MAY also contain another Home Agent's address.

Vijay

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 18:51:18 -0800

Hi Vijay,

Thanx for the reference.

HAHA seems to cover a lot of ground, I think it would be more useful to have
a discussion focussing on just this specific issue. I'm not tied to any
particular way to solve the problem (even the one I suggested), but I think
the problem should be solved specifically in the context of bootstrapping,
even though "home agent reliability" is in the charter and HAHA would
presumably cover that.

            jak