Subject: [Mip6] 1st CFP: Journal of Computer Communications Special Issue on "Sensor-Actuator Networks (SANETs)"

From: "Moustafa Youssef" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 17:18:25 -0400

(Our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CFP)

-------------------------------------------------------------
                    Call for Papers
         Journal of Computer Communications
        (http://www.elsevier.com/locate/comcom)
Special Issue on "Sensor-Actuator Networks (SANETs)"

Sensor-Actuator NETworks (SANETs) are comprised of networked sensor
and actuator nodes that communicate among each other using wireless
 links to perform distributed sensing and actuation tasks. The recent
few years have witnessed an increasing interest in the potential use
of SANETs in many applications ranging from healthcare to warfare.
In these applications, sensors are engaged in gathering information
about the physical environment, while actuators are involved in
taking decisions and then performing appropriate actions in the area
of interest. This enables SANETs to provide remote sensing and
actuation services to their users.

SANETs are heterogeneous networks having widely differing sensor
and actuator node characteristics; while sensor nodes are small,
inexpensive, usually static devices with limited computation,
communication and energy resources, actuator nodes are resource-rich
and usually mobile. Also, the number of sensor nodes deployed may be
in the order of hundreds or thousands. In contrast, actuator nodes
are smaller in number due to the different coverage requirements and
physical interaction methods of actuation. Typically, a deployed
SANET is expected to operate autonomously in unattended environments.
Operational requirements of SANETs may vary according to a network’s
mission defined over a multi-dimensional context, such as field of
deployment (e.g., hostile versus friendly), type of application
(e.g., monitoring, tracking, intrusion detection and mitigation),
mode of operation (e.g., normal, exception, post-event recovery),
and time. In SANETs, depending on the application, there may be a
need to rapidly respond to sensor input. Moreover, so as to provide
right actions, sensor data must still be valid at the time of
acting. Consequently, the issues of real-time communication and
coordination are vital in SANETs. Finally, to realize their
potential, dependable, secure, application-aware design and operation
of SANETs have to be ensured.

Apparently, research is needed to resolve the many complicating
issues that may impede wide-scale SANET adoption. This special issue
of the Journal of Computer Communications will be designated for
reporting on recent research results on SANETs. It is expected that
non-conventional techniques more suited to the characteristics of
SANETs need to be employed. Also, in many cases trade-off would be
necessary in order to ensure practicality by dynamically setting
bounds on aspects such as dependability, security, and QoS. Papers
presenting original and unpublished work are being solicited.
Topics of interest include, although not limited to, the following:

- Sensor-actuator coordination and communication
- Architectural and operational models
- Robust routing and MAC protocols
- Fault and attack resilience middleware
- Models, metrics and measurements
- Self-aware and autonomous networks
- Localization and mobility
- Energy-efficient cross-layer protocols
- Security, dependability, privacy and QoS issues
- Network management
- Formal representation and verification
- Network inference (tomography, etc.)
- Testbeds, simulation and visualization
- Novel applications of sensor and actuator networks

** Submission deadline:   February 15 , 2006
** Decision notification: May 15, 2006
** Final manuscript due:  July 31, 2006
** Publication date:      1st Quarter 2007

** Submission instructions:
Prospective authors should submit their paper and inquiries
electronically to [email-masked]. The manuscript should not
exceed 30 double-space pages in PDF. The manuscript should be in a
single column font size 11 or larger format. The first page should
include title, authors’ contact information, an abstract and five
keywords. Authors should include the paper abstract in their message.

** Guest Editors:
Mohamed Eltoweissy:
The Bradley Dept. of Electrical & Computer Eng.,
Virginia Tech, USA,
[email-masked]

Silvia Giordano:
Dept. of Informatics & Electronics, Univ. of Applied Sci.,
Switzerland,
[email-masked]

Stephan Olariu:
Dept. of Computer Science,
Old Dominion University, USA,
[email-masked]

David Simplot-Ryl:
IRCICA/LIFL, University of Lille 1,
INRIA Futurs, France,
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6