Subject: [Mip6] Clarification needed

From: Rajesh Shetty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 14:42:06 +0530

Hi all,

      This is Regarding RFC 3775 section 10.3.1.  Primary Care-of Address Registration

Quoted From the section mentioned Above :

Regardless of the setting of the Acknowledge (A) bit in the Binding
   Update, the home agent MUST return a Binding Acknowledgement to the
   mobile node constructed as follows:

      The Status field MUST be set to a value indicating success.  The
      value 1 (accepted but prefix discovery necessary) MUST be used if
      the subnet prefix of the specified home address is deprecated or
      becomes deprecated during the lifetime of the binding, or becomes
      invalid at the end of the lifetime.  

There is a small confusion here 

       As per my knowledge subnet prefix has to become deprecated before going to 
            invalid state.

      If the above holds good than we can change the mentioned statement in RFC to 

      The Status field MUST be set to a value indicating success.  The
      value 1 (accepted but prefix discovery necessary) MUST be used if
      the subnet prefix of the specified home address is deprecated or
      becomes deprecated during the lifetime of the binding or becomes 
      deprecated at the end of the lifetime. 

Rajesh
_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6

---

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 10:56:12 -0700

Rajesh Shetty wrote:
>       *invalid* at the end of the lifetime. 
>  
> 
>  
>       *deprecated* at the end of the lifetime.

not really. if the prefix is going to be deprecated only at
end of the period indicated by the lifetime in the BU, there
is no need to set the status to 1 yet in the Binding Ack.
can be done for the next BU sent by the MN.

anyway, the text in RFC 3775 cant be changed right now. it
can be done only when it is revised.

Vijay

---

From: Rajesh Shetty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:16:53 +0530

Hi Vijay,

                  I Fully agree with you.
                  To avoid confusion its Better to change RFC when revised.

                  As per me it must be changed to

/*******************************************************************/

                 Regardless of the setting of the Acknowledge (A) bit in the
Binding
                 Update, the home agent MUST return a Binding
Acknowledgement to the
                 mobile node constructed as follows:

                The Status field MUST be set to a value indicating success.
The
                value 1 (accepted but prefix discovery necessary) MUST be
used if
               the subnet prefix of the specified home address is deprecated
or
               becomes deprecated during the lifetime of the binding.

/**********************************************************************/

               Its not necessary to mention  becomes invalid at the end of
the lifetime.

Rajesh

---

From: Rajesh Shetty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:20:15 +0530

Hi Vijay,

                  I Fully agree with you.

                Regardless of the setting of the Acknowledge (A) bit in the
Binding
                Update, the home agent MUST return a Binding Acknowledgement
to the
                mobile node constructed as follows:

                The Status field MUST be set to a value indicating
success.The
                value 1 (accepted but prefix discovery necessary) MUST be
used if
                the subnet prefix of the specified home address is
deprecated or
                becomes deprecated during the lifetime of the binding.

        Its not necessary to mention  becomes invalid at the end of the
lifetime.

Rajesh