Subject: [Mip6] Report on IPv6 network renumbering at v6ops WG

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 18:09:43 -0400

At the v6ops WG meeting (1400 Mon), there will be a report from the
participants in a recently completed project in IPv6 network
renumbering.  I've included a description of the report below.  Anyone
interested in hearing the results of this project and participating in a
discussion about what we should consider as next steps to build on these
results is invited to attend.

- Ralph Droms

                Discussion of IPv6 Network Renumbering
                --------------------------------------

Baker, et al., have written a description a process for IPv6 network
renumbering in "Procedures for Renumbering an IPv6 Network without a
Flag Day" <draft-ietf-v6ops-renumbering-procedure-05.txt>.  Teams from
University of Southampton, the JOIN Project at University of Muenster,
Renater, PSNC and Loria-Inria have conducted a series of experiments
in network renumbering, based on the process described by Baker.
Results from the study include operational experience with the network
renumbering procedure, identification of the effects of network
renumbering on network management tools and other applications and
recommendations for updates to the network renumbering procedure, and
advice for network administrators, application developers and others
to ameliorate the effects of network renumbering.

The purpose of this discussion is to disseminate results and
conclusions from these experiments, stimulate discussion of IPv6
network renumbering and consider future work in this area.  The draft
agenda for the discussion is:

Introduction                             Ralph Droms         ( 5 mins)

Prior art and tools, backbone            JOIN/Univ. Muenster ( 5 mins)
renumbering and BGP issues, SOHO renumbering

Enterprise experiments and               Univ. Southampton   ( 5 mins)
recommendations

Router renumbering protocol, renumbering Renater             ( 5 mins)
procedure gap analysis

Impact of renumbering on management      PSNC                ( 5 mins)
tools

Maintaining management plane during      Loria-Inria         ( 5 mins)
renumbering, monitoring renumbering 

Conclusions                              Ralph Droms         ( 5 mins) 

Discussion                                                   (15 mins)

Next steps?                              Ralph Droms         (10 mins)

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6