Subject: [Mip6] Re: [nemo] v4 traversal slides

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 15:40:42 +0200

Bound, Jim wrote:

> Folks,
> 
> I think we need to at least address and discuss the scenario where 
> the HA is on IPv6-Dominant network, meaning IPv4 routing has been 
> shut off per policy of the user on that network.  The MN shows up on 
> IPv4-Only access network.  Bi-directional commo is required between 
> MN and HA, but MN has entered IPv4 net.  We need to consider this in 
> our scenarios.  I have communicated this to some and talking with 
> Pascal T.  This is a real scenario that is being planned today by 
> several large enterpises.

The above scenario (IPv6 MN on an IPv4 network, its HA on an IPv6-only
network) is very relevant.  A traversal protocol where an intermediary
box ("gateway"?) is on both v4 and v6 is necessary.

Alex

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6

---

From: Vijay Devarapallli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 07:51:18 -0500

hi Jim and Alex, 

this scenario was discussed extensively in the design team. this 
is a regular IPv6 transition scenario, where an IPv6 node needs to
reach an IPv6 network with a transition gateway sitting somewhere 
between the v4 and the v6 cloud. regular IPv6 transition 
mechanisms apply. I feel there is nothing mip6 or nemo specific 
we can do for this scenario. 

Vijay

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 15:10:57 +0200

> we can do for this scenario.

Vijay, do you discuss _scenarios_ in the DT?

Otherwise, yes - regular IPv6 transition applies in the case where HA is
 on a v6-exclusively network.  What this should mean to mip6trans IMHO
is that it shouldn't work exclusively with a HA that is connected on
both v4 and v6, and that it should also work with a HA that lives on v6
exclusively.  Or so I think IMHO.

Alex