Subject: Re: [Mip6] Review of draft-ietf-mip6-mipext-advapi-05.txt

From: Samita Chakrabarti <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 19:24:13 -0800 (PST)

Hi TJ,

I missed those questions before. Sorry for the delay.

> 
> - Under section 3, it refers to be C programs. Could the API be  
> applicable to other languages? Clearly it is geared toward an unix  
> environment, but could it be used also for other languages?
>

This API does not support other languages. But someone can take this
API and write a language appropriate API for the same purpose.
For example, JAVA Socket API would be different than the Unix/C Socket
API.
 
> - Also section 3, you say that you are not going to talk about error  
> checking in favor of brevity, and that there may be error code  
> returns that are not defined here. I am a little uncomfortable with  
> this -- error conditions are important, and if the return codes are  
> not defined here, where can I find them?

The comment on error in section 3 is taken from RFC3542 (Advanced
Socket API for IPv6). 
" We note that some of the functions and socket options defined in this
   document may have error returns that are not defined in this
   document.  Some of these possible error returns will be recognized
   only as implementations proceed."
   
This document is an extension of RFC3542. The errors are mostly related
to the socket implementations. Thus whatever errors used for RFC3542
implementations should also apply here.

> - I checked through all the data structures, as compared to rfc 3775.  
> I did not find any errors.

I am not following this comment. Are you saying that the data-structures
are defined properly?

Thanks,
-Samita

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6

---

From: "T.J. Kniveton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:33:50 -0800 (PST)

<quote who="Samita Chakrabarti">

> I am not following this comment. Are you saying that the data-structures

Yes, at least I didn't see any problem.

TJ