Subject: [Mip6] Question on route optimization ?

From: Mikko Hautala <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 12:41:01 +0200

Hi,

A simple question on route optimization:

If two mobile nodes are communicating directly using route optimization, 
the communication could be
interrupted due to near simultaneous handover of both nodes. Then both 
of the BU's sent would be lost, and neither is able to update the bindings.

An obviuos solution is to revert back to reverse tunneling. But how 
exactly is this handled according to the RFC 3775 - how the MN learns 
that it should delete a binding cache for a certain node...

Regards,
Mikko Hautala
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6

---

From: Christian Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 16:44:22 +0100

Mikko,

Binding Update messages forego a Binding Cache look-up, i.e., they are 
routed through the peer's home agent.

Since RFC 3775 specifies that home registrations must complete before a 
Binding Update message can be sent to a correspondent node, there is 
high probability that a mobile node's home agent is already be up to 
date when a peer sends a Binding Update message to that mobile node.

Should the peer's Binding Update message still fail, the peer will 
eventually retransmit.

Regards,
- Christian

-- 
Christian Vogt, Institute of Telematics, University of Karlsruhe
www.tm.uka.de/~chvogt/pubkey/