Subject: [Mip6] HA reliability issue

From: "Richard Frisby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 16:58:23 +0100

Can anyone on the HA reliability design team tell me what the status of
the problem/scope/solution documents are ?
_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6

---

From: "Faizan, Jahanzeb" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 15:01:10 -0500

We came up with the HA reliability problem statement and initial solution (VHARP) in Nov 2003 and April 2004, respectively. Later, there was a consensus call on the list about the hardware or protocol solution of this problem. The chairs decided to go for the hardware solution and that's why we stopped updating these drafts. However, we continued our work on this issue and now have several publications.
Thanks
Jahanzeb

________________________________

From: Brian Haley [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tue 4/25/2006 1:55 PM
To: Faizan, Jahanzeb
Cc: Richard Frisby; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Mip6] HA reliability issue

Faizan, Jahanzeb wrote:
> HA reliability is already a "solved" problem. Look at the references below. I am not sure though what the design team is trying to do.....reinventing the wheel or something else?
> 
>
> [1]     J. Faizan, H. El-Rewini, and M. Khalil, "Problem Statement: Home Agent Reliability," IETF Draft, draft-jfaizan-mipv6-ha-reliability-01.txt (work in progress), November 2003.
>
> 
>
> [2]     J. Faizan, H. El-Rewini, and M. Khalil, "Virtual Home Agent Reliability Protocol (VHARP)," IETF Draft, draft-jfaizan-mipv6-vhar-02.txt (work in progress), April 2004.

These drafts all expired in 2004, and have references to other expired
drafts.  I also noticed that the CUR message isn't implementable since
it doesn't precisely define the "data" portion of the message, there
might be more.  Are there any updates planned?

-Brian

---

From: "Mohamed Khalil" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 15:09:04 -0500

Hi Brian,

We have stopped working in this issue with the WG because the decision
at that time is that the HA Reliability & Scalability should be solved
by HW, as far as, I remember. The work is done in this area is converted
into academic work with several publications in different journals. 

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Haley [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 1:55 PM
To: Faizan, Jahanzeb
Cc: [email-masked]; Richard Frisby
Subject: Re: [Mip6] HA reliability issue

Faizan, Jahanzeb wrote:
> HA reliability is already a "solved" problem. Look at the references 
> below. I am not sure though what the design team is trying to
do.....reinventing the wheel or something else?
>  
> 
> [1]     J. Faizan, H. El-Rewini, and M. Khalil, "Problem Statement:
Home Agent Reliability," IETF Draft,
draft-jfaizan-mipv6-ha-reliability-01.txt (work in progress), November
2003.
> 
>  
> 
> [2]     J. Faizan, H. El-Rewini, and M. Khalil, "Virtual Home Agent
Reliability Protocol (VHARP)," IETF Draft,
draft-jfaizan-mipv6-vhar-02.txt (work in progress), April 2004.

-Brian