Subject: RE: [Mip6] How to store DNS records about HAs, (draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-split-02.txt)?

From: "Chowdhury, Kuntal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:41:13 -0400

Hi Alex,

Please see inline...

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Alexandru Petrescu [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, April 28, 2006 10:09 AM
> To: Chowdhury, Kuntal
> Cc: COMBES Jean-Michel RD-MAPS-ISS; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Mip6] How to store DNS records about
HAs,(draft-ietf-mip6-
> bootstrapping-split-02.txt)?
> 
> Chowdhury, Kuntal wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > What is proposed here (although looks simple) will only allow the MN
> > to have a "fixed" home link. Operators who use Mobile IP today
assign
> >  a home agent (i.e. home link) that is geographically close to the
> > point of attachment of the MN or even a home agent in the visited
> > network. Therefore, the concept based on "always the same home link"
> > may not work in real deployment.
> 
> If operator has 3 locations where HAs are present, it could
> pre-configure on each phone 3 anycast HA fqdns or 3 home links
prefixes.
>   Would this work?
[KC>] No, operator's network config changes due to number of reasons.
Any fixed config in the MNs especially network layout won't work.

> If operator considers storing 3 fqdns in each phone as not minimal,
what
> protocol would operator use to store each location's HA address in the
> DNS?  And how would MN know to query the DNS for a specific location
HA
> when all it has is just one fqdn?
> 
[KC>] Normally, allocation of the most optimum home agent based on the
MN's point of attachment is done in the network. I think your question
is a valid one, i.e. how does the operator do that using DNS. May be
some clarification is required on this (if not there already).

> Alex

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 18:15:08 +0200

Chowdhury, Kuntal wrote:
> Hi Alex,
> 
> Please see inline...
> 
>> -----Original Message----- From: Alexandru Petrescu 
>> [mailto:[email-masked]] Sent: Friday, April 28, 
>> 2006 10:09 AM To: Chowdhury, Kuntal Cc: COMBES Jean-Michel 
>> RD-MAPS-ISS; [email-masked] Subject: Re: [Mip6] How to store DNS 
>> records about
> HAs,(draft-ietf-mip6-
>>> What is proposed here (although looks simple) will only allow the
>>>  MN to have a "fixed" home link. Operators who use Mobile IP 
>>> today
>>> 
> assign
>>>  point of attachment of the MN or even a home agent in the 
>>> visited network. Therefore, the concept based on "always the same
>>>  home link" may not work in real deployment.

What do you suggest to pre-configure on the mobile (about network 
layout, not security) that would make bootstrapping work?

DHCP's OPTION_CLIENTID?  The MAC address?

>>  what protocol would operator use to store each location's HA 
>> address in the DNS?  And how would MN know to query the DNS for a 
>> specific location HA when all it has is just one fqdn?
>> 
> [KC>] Normally, allocation of the most optimum home agent based on 
> the MN's point of attachment is done in the network.

How?

> I think your question is a valid one, i.e. how does the operator do 
> that using DNS. May be some clarification is required on this (if not
>  there already).

It's not there in draft-split.  It just says that operator updates the
HA SRV entry in DNS based on some load balancing criteria (not on
location or geographically-based).  It's not said how to update based on 
location.

Alex