Subject: [Mip6] How to store DNS records about HAs, (draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-split-02.txt)?

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 21:37:53 +0200

I have a question about deploying a home network supporting the 
bootstrapping solution described in 
draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-split-02.txt.  If it's been already 
discussed please ignore it: how to store DNS records that would work for 
this bootstrapping?

Suppose I'm owner of domain example.com that has a bunch of subnets and 
I'd like all the hosts to be able to move, i.e. run MIP6.  Subnet1 is 
served by ha1 and ha2 and subnet2 by other ha1 and ha2.  Should I store 
in DNS:

ha1.subnet1.example.com, ha2.subnet1.example.com...
ha1.subnet2.example.com, ha2.subnet2.example.com ?

Because I guess it is not sufficient to store all HAs directly under 
example.com, because DNS wouldn't know to return which HAs to which MN. 
  And also because I think there are many deployments that don't do a 
sub-domain per IP subnet.

Second, would this recommendation apply when the SRV method is used too?

If the above recommendations is right, it could be put in various ways 
in the draft.  The simplest way would be to go where example.com is 
first mentioned and say: "(it is assumed that example.com is not 
subnetted for MNs, all MNs served by example.com are under a unique 
subnet)".  The longer recommendation would try to describe an example 
deployment.

Alex

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6

---

From: qinxia <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 15:40:55 +0800

Hello all,

I am pretty much instrersted in this question. 

In split senario, MNs look up  the HA address with HA domain name in DNS
system. 
However,there is a such a question which you present. 

Something come into my mind.
In the draft " draft-melia-mobopts-niho-ps-01", there are some Mobility
and Roaming Managers such as  MRMH and MRMV.
I think something may act as the mobility and roaming entity among ASP
and MSP, the entity may provide the MN's subscribe 
Information such as HA address or HA FQDN.  The FQDN should mean only
one address. So, it will be easy to look up HA address
In DNS system with this FQDN,

-----Original Message-----
From: Alexandru Petrescu [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 3:38 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Mip6] How to store DNS records about
HAs,(draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-split-02.txt)?

this bootstrapping?

Alex

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 13:52:01 +0200

qinxia wrote:
> In split senario, MNs look up  the HA address with HA domain name in 
> DNS system. However,there is a such a question which you present.
> 
> Something come into my mind. In the draft " 
> draft-melia-mobopts-niho-ps-01", there are some Mobility and Roaming 
> Managers such as  MRMH and MRMV.

Ok, if these entities (MRMH and MRMV) run DNS then the question is how
to deploy the HA-related data in DNS.

> I think something may act as the mobility and roaming entity among
> ASP and MSP, the entity may provide the MN's subscribe Information
> such as HA address or HA FQDN.  The FQDN should mean only one
> address. So, it will be easy to look up HA address In DNS system with
> this FQDN,

Ok, but the question is still how to related the fqdn of a HA to the 
home link prefix it serves, and I believe only in DNS it could be done.

Alex