Subject: [Mip6] topology about v4-v6 migration

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 00:01:00 +0200

Hi Henrik, per your request on the scenario of IPv6-IPv4 deployment I
mentioned today in the MIP6 WG meeting.  Below is the topology I've
had in mind:

   +--+
   |CN|
   +--+
    |
  ------------------
/ IPv6-only        \____
\ "island" network /    |
  ------------------     |
                         |
                         |
                         |
  ----------------       |    +---+     -------------    +----------+
/ IPv4-only      \__IPv4_____|GW |____/ IPv6-only   \___| HA       |
\ access network /  Internet +---+    \ home network/   | IPv6-only|
  ----------------                      -------------    +----------+
       .
       |
     +--+
     |MN|
     +--+

The MN is "owned" by an IPv6 HA deep in an IPv6-only network,
presumably some operator's network.  MN connects to another operator's
IPv4-only wireless access.  It needs to communicate with an IPv6-only
CN, present on an IPv6-only "island" network.

The IPv4-only access network, the IPv6-only home network and the
IPv6-only "island" network are connected together on the IPv4
Internet.

The comment I've had is how to support this.  Thanks.

Alex
PS: the other NAT traversal and keepalive for maintaining state I'll
     send privately next week.

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 09:48:54 -0400

Hi Alex,

> mentioned today in the MIP6 WG meeting.  Below is the topology I've

Ok, got it.  The way I understand this is that the MN will be sending
and receiving IPv6 traffic to/from the CN via the HA.

The issue of how the IPv6 traffic moves between the Home network and
CN can be solved by any kind of non-mobility IPv6 over IPv4 technology
-- teredo, 6over4, isatap or whatever.  I will assume this is not part
of the problem to be solved here, since we already have a number of
solutions to this.

The remaining problem of the MN sending IPv6 traffic to/from the HA
over the IPv4 network to the HA, using MIPv6 for mobility support,
is a valid one, sure.  (And it is solved by the DSMIPv6 work.)

Regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 18:29:31 +0200

Hi Henrik, thanks for the message.

Henrik Levkowetz wrote:
>> Hi Henrik, per your request on the scenario of IPv6-IPv4 deployment
>>  I mentioned today in the MIP6 WG meeting.  Below is the topology 
>> I've had in mind:
>> 

   +--+
   |CN|
   +--+
    |
  ------------------
/ IPv6-only        \____
\ "island" network /    |
  ------------------     |
                         |
                         |
                         |

>> presumably some operator's network.  MN connects to another 
>> operator's IPv4-only wireless access.  It needs to communicate with
>>  an IPv6-only CN, present on an IPv6-only "island" network.
>> 

Yes.

>  CN can be solved by any kind of non-mobility IPv6 over IPv4 
> technology -- teredo, 6over4, isatap or whatever.

Exactly.  STUN, 6to4 too.  The non-mobility IPv6 over IPv4 technology
would run between GW (pictured) and a border router on CN's IPv6
island (router not pictured).

> I will assume this is not part of the problem to be solved here, 
> since we already have a number of solutions to this.

YEs.

> over the IPv4 network to the HA, using MIPv6 for mobility support, is
>  a valid one, sure.  (And it is solved by the DSMIPv6 work.)

Ok, the problem is valid in this space, good to know.

I am not sure though how DS-MIPv6 current solution solves it.  The doubt
I have is about the DS-MIPv6 tunnel MN-HA ending in HA's IPv4 address.
Is this so?

Also, maybe DS-MIPv6 assumes a form of IPv4-in-IPv6 encapsulation
between the GW (pictured) and the HA?

We have both mentioned existing v4-v6 transitioning methods, no need to
enhance them, just re-use them - ok.  But not sure between what and
what.  When I think re-using transitioning schemes is IPv6-in-IPv4
between GW and border on IPv6 Internet.  This is _not_ IPv4-in-IPv6
between GW and HA.  Do you assume this latter?

Any clarification helpful, thanks,

Alex

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 13:26:30 -0400

Hi Alex,

  Snipping some stuff, and responding inline:

on 2006-07-14 12:29 Alexandru Petrescu said the following:
...
>>> Internet

...

> I have is about the DS-MIPv6 tunnel MN-HA ending in HA's IPv4 address.

More precise is to say that the HA has to be reachable through an
IPv4 address somehow.  This could be an address on the GW which
is forwarded to the HA through a tunnel, exactly as you mention

> between GW and HA.  Do you assume this latter?

Some kind of tunnelled forwarding between HA and the IPv4 address on
the GW would be necessary, yes.  Exactly what is used is not
important, as long as the HA is reachable through that IPv4 address
and is aware that it has that IPv4 address.

Regards,

	Henrik