Subject: [Mip6] Conclusion of the consensus call related to the bootstrapping I-Ds

From: Basavaraj Patil <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 17:16:47 -0500

Hello,

The consensus call for determining how to specify the DHCP options has
concluded. The details of the consensus call are at:
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/mip6/current/msg05033.html

Conclusion:
WG consensus is to specify the DHCP options in a separate document
(independent of the I-D:
draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-integrated-dhc-01). Hence we will adopt
draft-jang-mip6-hiopt-00.txt as a WG I-D and specify the DHCP options
required for bootstrapping. It is also possible that a couple of the
DHCP options that are currently included in the I-D:
draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-integrated-dhc-01.txt may be included in
the new WG I-D. 

Is the integrated scenario bootstrap document still useful or needed?
I think there have been some opinions that it may not be essential and
hence we will determine if there is a need to continue working on it
or to deprecate it by the end of this month.

-Raj

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6

---

From: Heejin Jang <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 10:50:06 +0900

Hi, Raj.
Thanks for arranging consensus call. 

Regarding the direction of bootstrap document, I've understood 
"seperate document" in option (2) in the cc meant that 
"to proceed both of documents" and that's what folks preferring option 2
wanted. 

Technically, draft-jang-mip6-hiopt-00.tx introduces only one of DHCP options

and bootstrap document includes the overal bootstrap procedure by using the
proposed option. 

If bootstrap document is deprecated and integrated to draft-hiopt, 
it does not make difference from option (1).
If bootstrap document is deprecated and not integrated to draft-hiopt,
there is no standard document for integrated-bootstrapping scenarios.

-- Regards, 
Heejin.

-----Original Message-----
From: Basavaraj Patil [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 7:17 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Mip6] Conclusion of the consensus call related to the
bootstrapping I-Ds

Hello,

Conclusion:
WG consensus is to specify the DHCP options in a separate document
(independent of the I-D:
draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-integrated-dhc-01). Hence we will adopt
draft-jang-mip6-hiopt-00.txt as a WG I-D and specify the DHCP options
required for bootstrapping. It is also possible that a couple of the DHCP
options that are currently included in the I-D:
draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-integrated-dhc-01.txt may be included in the
new WG I-D. 

Is the integrated scenario bootstrap document still useful or needed?
I think there have been some opinions that it may not be essential and hence
we will determine if there is a need to continue working on it or to
deprecate it by the end of this month.

-Raj

---

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 02:37:18 -0700

> there is no standard document for integrated-bootstrapping scenarios.

lets discuss this further. there is no standard document for
integrated bootstrapping scenarios currently. we have *one*
solution for the integrated scenario using DHCP. perhaps it
is best left that way. initially in the bootstrapping design
team, folks managed to convince me and others in the design
team that DHCP was the way to go for the integrated scenario.
but now it turns out that using DHCP needs many hacks,
especially when the NAS and the DHCP server are separate
boxes (which is true most of the time). I am not any more
convinced that DHCP based bootstrapping should be a proposed
standard (note that this my personal opinion).

what I would like to see is a informational document written
that shows how exactly DHCP is being planned for use for MIP6
bootstrapping in various SDOs and have that reviewed by the
DHC WG.

Vijay

---

From: "Alper Yegin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:00:32 +0300

Hi Raj,

Given that the options were:

1. Have a single document which specifies the solution describing
   bootstrapping with DHCPv6 which includes the DHCPv6 options that
   are needed.

2. Specify the DHCP options needed for bootstrapping with DHCPv6 in a
   separate document and have this referenced in the solution I-D.

> Is the integrated scenario bootstrap document still useful or needed?

This question is already answered. That was the whole idea behind this
consensus call (one vs. two documents).

Alper

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 09:42:55 -0700

Alper,

>From an interoperation standpoint, if draft-jang is Proposed Standard, is 
there really any need for the integrated scenerio document to be Proposed 
Standard as well? As I recall, there are a number of assumptions about 
system architecture in the document that may be specific to certain SDO 
architectures. Would it make more sense to expand the document's scope into 
a survey of how DHCP is used for bootstrapping in various SDO architectures 
and make it Informational?

                       jak

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Alper Yegin" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Basavaraj Patil'" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 5:00 AM
Subject: RE: [Mip6] Conclusion of the consensus call related 
tothebootstrapping I-Ds