Subject: [Mip6] Redundant text in the two DHCPv6-based bootstrapping documents

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 09:02:34 -0700

Hello

There is some redundant text in the two documents that talk about using 
DHCPv6 for MIP6 bootstrapping, draft-ietf-mip6-hiopt-02.txt and 
draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-integrated-dhc-02.txt. Here are a couple 
of instances.

Mobile Node behavior for sending the DHCPv6 Information Request
---------------------------------------------------------------

 From draft-ietf-mip6-hiopt-02.txt

    In order to acquire the home network information, the mobile node
    SHALL send an Information Request to the
    All_DHCP_Relay_Agents_and_Servers multicast address.  In this message
    the mobile node (DHCP client) SHALL include the Option Code for Home
    Network Identifier option in the OPTION_ORO.  The mobile node SHALL
    also include the OPTION_CLIENTID [4] to identify itself to the DHCP
    server.

    During requesting the information, the mobile node MUST clarify the
    preference about the requested home network with the id-type in the
    Home Network Identifier option.  Even if the mobile node does not
    care about the location of the home network where the home agent to
    be assigned, it MUST clarify the fact by setting the id-type to 2.
    In this case the Home Network Identifier MUST be set to 0.

 From draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-integrated-dhc-02.txt

    (2) The mobile node sends a DHCPv6 Information Request message
    [RFC3315] to the All_DHCP_Relay_Agents_and_Servers multicast address.
    In this message the mobile node (DHCP client) SHALL include the
    Option Code for Home Network Identifier Option [HIOPT] in the
    OPTION_ORO, Home Network Identifier Option with id-type set to 1 and
    the Home Network Identifier field set to the network realm of the
    home MSP [HIOPT].  The mobile node SHALL also include the
    OPTION_CLIENTID to identify itself to the DHCP server.

NAS/DHCP relay behavior
-----------------------

 From draft-ietf-mip6-hiopt-02.txt

    Upon receiving the Information Request from the mobile node, the DHCP
    relay agent MUST forward the message to the DHCP server as per [4].
    The relay agent SHALL use the OPTION_CLIENTID to identify the mobile
    node (user).  This is required to check whether there are some
    additional information for the user that need to be appended while
    relaying the information request message to the DHCP server.  If the
    relay agent determines that the NAS has passed home network
    information for this mobile node, the relay agent MUST include the
    received home network information in the MIP6 Relay Agent option, and
    attach this option in the Relay-Forward message.  The relay agent MAY
    include the Interface-Id option [4] in the Relay-Forward message.

 From draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-integrated-dhc-02.txt

    (3) The Relay Agent intercepts the Information Request from the
    mobile node and forwards it to the DHCP server.  The Relay Agent also
    includes the received home agent information from the AAAH in the
    OPTION_MIP6-RELAY-Option [HIOPT].

I would prefer it if one document describes the protocol and the other 
just defines the options.

I also find it a bit odd that draft-ietf-mip6-hiopt-02.txt does not 
refer to draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-integrated-dhc-02.txt at all. It 
is listed among the references, but not anywhere in the text. I would 
have expected it to say that hiopt draft defines options that are used 
in the integrated scenario solution document.

Vijay

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6