Subject: [Mip6] [issue95] Mention DHCPv6 based Home Agent discovery mechanism in section

From: Kuntal Chowdhury <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 19:49:18 +0000

New submission from Kuntal Chowdhury <[email-masked]>:

This issue has been discussed on the list. The current text in section 2.1 needs
to cover cases when DHCPv6 can be used to discover Home Agent information. The
email thread on this issue:

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/mip6/current/msg05877.html

Proposed text:
-------------
Current:

"....If a mobile
   node is located in an IPv4-only foreign network, it cannot rely on
   native IPv6 routing. The preferred solution for discovering the home
   agent's IPv4 address is through the Domain Name System (DNS).
"

New:

If a mobile node is located in an IPv4-only foreign network, it cannot rely on
   native IPv6 routing. In this scenario, the solution for discovering the home
agent's IPv4 address is through the Domain Name System (DNS).

Also add the following in this section:

If the MN is attached to an IPv6-only or it is attached to an IPv6 and IPv4 Dual
stack foreign network, it shall use procedures defined in
draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-integrated-dhc-02.txt [add this reference] to
discover Home Agent information.

----------
category: Technical
draft: draft-ietf-mip6-nemo-v4traversal
messages: 346
nosy: kuntal
priority: Must fix
status: Text proposed
title: Mention DHCPv6 based Home Agent discovery mechanism in section

_________________________________________________
Mip6 issue tracker <[email-masked]>
<http://www.mip4.org/issues/tracker/mip6/issue95>
_________________________________________________

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6

---

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 02:53:38 -0700

> http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/mip6/current/msg05877.html

This is fine.

> discover Home Agent information.

I have issues with the use of word "shall". In the first place
the MN could still use DNS for HA discovery. So, at the most
it can only be a "MAY". Second,
draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-integrated-dhc does not have
extensions to return an IPv4 address of the home agent in
addition to the IPv6 address of the home agent. So the solution
described in draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-integrated-dhc is not
sufficient for DS-MIPv6 even when the mobile node is attached to
an IPv6 access network.

Vijay

---

From: "Hesham Soliman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 23:58:16 +1000

Folks,

This is a straighforward issue that needs a small editorial change. Please

 > http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/mip6/current/msg05877.html

I suggest modifying the text above to:

If a mobile node is located in an IPv4-only foreign network, 
it cannot rely on native IPv6 routing. In this scenario, the solution for 
discovering the home agent's IPv4 address is through the Domain Name System
(DNS). If the MN is attached to an IPv6-only or dual stack network, it may
also use procedures defined in [INTBOOT] to discover Home Agent information.
Note that the use of [INTBOOT] cannot give the mobile node information that
allows it to continue to communicate with the Home Agent if, for example,
the mobile node moved from an IPv6-enabled network to an IPv4-only network.
In such scenario, the mobile node would need to discover the IPv4 address of
its home agent through the DNS. 

[INTBOOT] draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-integrated-dhc-02.txt

I think it's important to make sure that the consequences of the choice are
clear to the implementer, that's why I added the last two sentences.

---

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 07:38:01 -0700

> the mobile node moved from an IPv6-enabled network to an IPv4-only network.

This is kind of odd since [INTBOOT] today cannot return the
IPv4 address of the HA. So you end up using DNS all the time.
But I can live with it with the following modification.

    Note that the use of [INTBOOT] cannot give the mobile node
    information that allows it to continue to communicate with the
    Home Agent if, for example, the mobile node moved from an
    IPv6-enabled network to an IPv4-only network or the extensions
    required to return the IPv4 address of the home agent are not
    available.

> its home agent through the DNS. 

So the new paragraph would be

    If a mobile node is located in an IPv4-only foreign network, it
    cannot rely on native IPv6 routing. In this scenario, the solution
    for discovering the home agent's IPv4 address is through the Domain
    Name System (DNS). If the MN is attached to an IPv6-only or dual
    stack network, it may also use procedures defined in [INTBOOT] to
    discover Home Agent information. Note that the use of [INTBOOT]
    cannot give the mobile node information that allows it to continue to
    communicate with the Home Agent if, for example, the mobile node
    moved from an IPv6-enabled network to an IPv4-only network or the
    extensions required to return the IPv4 address of the home agent are
    not available. In such scenario, the mobile node would need to
    discover the IPv4 address of its home agent through the DNS.

Vijay

---

From: Basavaraj Patil <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 12:05:48 -0500

I am fine with the proposed text in this email (by Vijay). We can close it
if this is acceptable.

-Raj

On 3/28/07 9:38 AM, "ext Vijay Devarapalli"
<[email-masked]> wrote:

~snip~