Subject: [Mip6] Review of draft-ietf-mip6-hiopt-02

From: "Gerardo Giaretta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 17:05:03 +0100

Hi all,

I went through draft-ietf-mip6-hiopt-02. I have two general comments
and some detailed ones.

The general comments are:

- the draft defines a way to assign the HoA via DHCP (e.g. A flag in
the Home Network Identifier Option). However, HoA assignment based on
DHCP is not introduced either in split or in integrated document. As
far as I can tell, the bootstrapping architecture defined in MIP6 WG
is based on IKEv2 HoA assignment. Also the bootstrapping document for
auth protocol does not use DHCP.
I guess that the only scenario where this HoA assignment solution may
be used is the case where the HoA is statically allocated to the MN
(e.g. in the user profile) and provided by the AAA server during
network authentication to the relay agent. If this is not the case,
which is the scenario you have in mind for HoA allocation via DHCP?
Again, the question is based on the fact that neither integrated nor
split document mentions this HoA allocation method.

- this draft defines the DHCP options for MIP6 parameters discovery in
the integrated scenario. However since there is already a companion
draft about integrated scenario architecture solution, I would suggest
to refer to it in the document and remove some text that have some
architectural description (e.g. some text in section 4.2. and 4.3).
Moreover I don't think we need to specify that the options are carried
in an Information-Request message: this draft defines the options and
the integrated draft defines how they are used.

Some detailed comments:

- I suggest to remove the reference to HMIP in the introduction. Other
solutions have been defined for MAP discovery; moreover, MAPs are
always located in the ASP and this is not the case for MIPv6 HAs.

- In section 3.1, second paragraph, I suggest to add a reference to
the integrated scenario draft and not to RADIUS attributes draft. I
think draft-ietf-mip6-hiopt-02 is a companion draft of the integrated
scenario draft that defines the architecture of the solution.
Otherwise, in case you want to keep also the reference to RADIUS,
please add a reference also to the DIME work.

- references need to be split in normative and informative

--Gerardo

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6