Subject: [Mip6] Invitation to humanresolvers

From: "Pars Mutaf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 20:41:47 +0200

Dear all,

This is an invitation to the "humanresolvers" mailing list created for
investigating the "IP pairing" problem for personal mobile devices.
Our goal is to understand and formally describe the problem, identify the
engineering problems and if there is interest, go for a BoF when ready.

If you have any ideas for better shaping the problem please don't
hesitate.

Regards,

pars

ps: I'll also invite other folks from other WGs but I prefered
starting with a single ML which is MIPv6. Responses are welcome.
Otherwise please subscribe to the humanresolvers ML, it is free
as in free beer :-)

-------------------------

              "IP Pairing" for personal mobile IPv6 devices

 Mailing list info:
   https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/humanresolvers

 This mailing list is intended for discussions around the "IP pairing"
 problem for personal mobile IPv6 devices e.g. cellular phones.
 IP pairing is an abstract IP-layer device pairing protocol. It can work
 over any technology and over long distances (i.e. through the Internet).
 IP pairing will allow two Mobile IPv6 devices to:

      1. exchange their home addresses and
      2. create an IPsec security association (using IKEv2)

  _if accepted_ by the user.

  That is, some user intervention is introduced to help the user control
  (i.e. accept or deny) a pairing request coming another user's mobile
  device. For example, the target device may display a message:

          Device pairing initiated by John Hoffman.
           Accept? [Yes/No]

  A home address will be returned and IKEv2 initiation will be accepted
  if approved by the user (pushing on the YES button of his phone).
  Consequently, the user can distribute a Mobile IPv6 home address (and
  possibly other private information e.g. SIP URI) to trusted parties;
  under his/her control and in real-time. By the same procedure, the user
  can also control who is establishing IPsec security associations with
  his/her mobile device.

  This approach is radically different from the client/server model which
  assumes obtaining the target devices's home address from DNS (without
  target user's authorization) and creating an IPsec security association
  (without target user's authorization).

  NOTICE: To give some additional ideas, an alternate take of this problem
               statement (from phone number or SIP URI and home address
               perspective) was made in:

  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mutaf-piqproblem-01.txt
_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6