Subject: [Mip6] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-split-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:15:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Mobility for IPv6 Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Mobile IPv6 bootstrapping in split scenario
	Author(s)	: G. Giaretta, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-split-06.txt
	Pages		: 27
	Date		: 2007-7-11
	
A Mobile IPv6 node requires a Home Agent address, a home address, and
   IPsec security associations with its Home Agent before it can start
   utilizing Mobile IPv6 service.  RFC 3775 requires that some or all of
   these are statically configured.  This document defines how a Mobile
   IPv6 node can bootstrap this information from non-topological
   information and security credentials pre-configured on the Mobile
   Node.  The solution defined in this document solves the split
   scenario described in the Mobile IPv6 bootstrapping problem statement
   in RFC 4640.  The split scenario refers the case where the Mobile
   Node's mobility service is authorized by a different service provider
   than basic network access.  The solution described in this document
   is also generically applicable to any bootstrapping case, since other
   scenarios are more specific realizations of the split scenario.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-split-06.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-split-06.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-split-06.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6

---

From: Madjid Nakhjiri <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 14:29:24 -0700

Question on this draft, I apologize if this has been discussed before.

 HoA bootstrapping seems to be done in two ways:
1) HoA assignment by HA
2) HoA auto-configuration

Can't the HoA be bootstrapped through interaction with the AAA server?
I believe this is an option with many other bootstrapping/AAA interaction
documents.

Thanks,
Madjid

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 9:15 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [Mip6] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-split-06.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Mobility for IPv6 Working Group of the
IETF.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-split-06.t
xt

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:

---

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 14:02:45 -0700

> Can't the HoA be bootstrapped through interaction with the AAA server?

Need more details. Is the AAA server managing the prefixes for a home 
link? Or does the AAA server store a static 128 bit home address for
the mobile node as part of the mobile node's profile?

Vijay

---

From: Madjid Nakhjiri <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 16:30:05 -0700

Hi Vijay,

Both, I guess. Take the case of a fixed user (e.g. a WiMAX DSL replacement)
where the user might always get the same IP address. In this case, she can
get it from AAA. The alternative is if it just get the prefixes.

Now aside from the details, it seems that the bootstrapping doc should
include this option, otherwise the Diameter spec may not provide any
accommodation from transfer of HoA or any parts of it from AAA.

R,

Madjid

-----Original Message-----
From: Vijay Devarapalli [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2007 2:03 PM
To: Madjid Nakhjiri
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: HoA assignment

Vijay

---

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 16:49:53 -0700

Madjid Nakhjiri wrote:
> Both, I guess. 

A AAA server managing the prefixes for a home link, IMHO, does not
make sense. The home link prefix is associated with a particular
home agent (or a set of home agents) that serves the home prefix.
The home prefix management should be with the home agents. This
prefixes could also change over time. It is sufficient if the
mobile node gets to know about the home prefix from the home agent.

Having a static home address for the mobile node in the AAA is
possible. This would mean that the home prefix for the mobile node
is fixed.

 > Take the case of a fixed user (e.g. a WiMAX DSL replacement)

The "alternative" is not complete.

> accommodation from transfer of HoA or any parts of it from AAA.

The MIP6 WG is still driving the requirements for the DIME
extensions, right? ;)

Vijay

---

From: Madjid Nakhjiri <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 12:34:45 -0700

Using a cooking analogy instead of your driving one! I do feel like a
plumber fixing the kitchen sink without needing to know what is being made
in the kitchen:)

bottom line is the AAA pipe does need to push down HoAs at some instances,
but not prefixes, right?

-----Original Message-----
From: Vijay Devarapalli [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2007 4:50 PM
To: Madjid Nakhjiri
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: HoA assignment

Vijay

---

From: "Vijay Devarapalli" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 14:12:49 -0700

Hi Madjid,

> From: Madjid Nakhjiri [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 12:35 PM
> To: Vijay Devarapalli
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: HoA assignment
> 

Is there a document I should be looking at?

> bottom line is the AAA pipe does need to push down HoAs at some
instances,

Yes. However, only if there is a static 128-bit home address for the
mobile node stored as part of the mobile node's profile.

Vijay

> > where the user might always get the same IP address. In this case,
she
> can
> >> Subject: [Mip6] I-D
ACTION:draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-split-06.txt
> >>    utilizing Mobile IPv6 service.  RFC 3775 requires that some or
all
> of
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-split-
> 06.t
> >> You can also visit
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
> >> 	"FILE
/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-split-06.txt".

---

From: "Chowdhury, Kuntal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 11:53:06 -0400

We had this discussion during bootstrapping solution WGLC. The WG
consensus was to only do HoA/HNP bootstrapping via the HA.

-Kuntal

> Sent: Monday, July 16, 2007 6:30 PM
> To: 'Vijay Devarapalli'
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Mip6] RE: HoA assignment
> 
> Hi Vijay,
> 
> >    utilizing Mobile IPv6 service.  RFC 3775 requires that some or
all of

---

From: Madjid Nakhjiri <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 10:35:06 -0700

Hi Vijay,

There is a doc, but it is work in progress especially on the topic at hand
and hence this thread:)

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dime-mip6-split-04.txt

R,

Madjid

-----Original Message-----
From: Vijay Devarapalli [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 2:13 PM
To: Madjid Nakhjiri
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: HoA assignment

Hi Madjid,

Vijay

she
all