Subject: [Mip6] Re: COMMENT: draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-split

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 09:33:19 -0700

Hi Lars,

Lars Eggert wrote:
> Comment:
>   For all the different components of the solution, the document
>   discusses a number of design options before describing the recommended
>   solution. I find this confusing. It would be much cleaner if there was
>   a normative section that talked about what is recommended, and an
>   informative section (or appendix) that would discuss options that are
>   not part of the recommended set.

There are four components of the solution.

- HA discovery
We are removing the anycast based method. So there are two options
currently, lookup using the name and lookup using service name. Either
of them can be used in a deployment. We are not mandating a particular
solution. The mobile node would be configured with an FQDN that
corresponds to a particular option.

- IPsec SA setup
This document basically refers to RFC 4877. Not much new. There are
multiple options for authentication between the mobile node and the
home agent. But that is natural for any solution where IKEv2 is used
for authentication.

- Home Address auto-configuration
There are two solutions here. One for the home agent assigning a
particular home address and one for the mobile node auto-configuring a
home address. I believe both are needed. We have provided a mechanism
in the draft for the home agent to deny auto-configuration and force
the mobile node to use the assigned home address. Not sure if anything
is needed beyond this.

- DNS update
There is only one mechanism described in this draft for DNS update.

I believe multiple options for each component is necessary and it
is too early to mandate a particular solution for each component.
Maybe once we have some experience with Mobile IPv6 deployments we
could narrow down the options. :)

>>    The solution defined in this document solves the Mobile IPv6
>>    bootstrapping problem (RFC4640) when the Mobile Node's mobility
>>    service is authorized by a different service provider than basic
>>    network access, and is therefore generically applicable to any
>>    bootstrapping case.
> 
>   I'm a bit confused by this. Title says this is for "split scenario"
>   bootstrapping. Abstract then says it's therefore generally applicable
>   for any bootstrapping scenario? (Also, it'd be good if the abstract
>   could define the words "split scenario" from the title somewhere, so
>   that folks not familiar with the term understand what it means.)

Agreed. Re-wrote the last part of the Abstract.

    The solution defined in this document solves the split
    scenario described in the Mobile IPv6 bootstrapping problem statement
    in RFC 4640.  The split scenario refers the case where the Mobile
    Node's mobility service is authorized by a different service provider
    than basic network access.  The solution described in this document
    is also generically applicable to any bootstrapping case, since other
    scenarios are more specific realizations of the split scenario.

> Section 5.1., paragraph 1:
>>    As
>>    mentioned before in the document, the only information that needs to
>>    be pre-configured on the Mobile Node is the domain name of the
>>    Mobility Service Provider.
> 
>   This paragraph says "need only domain name." Next paragraph says "MN
>   is configured with DNS server." So apparently MN needs to be configure
>   with at least two pieces of information?

What the paragraph is trying to say is that only the FQDN must be
configured on the mobile node. The latter paragraph is saying that the
DNS server, to which the DNS request is sent to resolve the FQDN, could
be obtained dynamically via DHCPv6 or already configured on the mobile
node.

Re-wrote the two sentences.

    As
    mentioned before in the document, the Mobile Node should be pre-
    configured with the domain name of the Mobility Service Provider.

    The Mobile Node needs to obtain the IP address of a DNS server before
    it can send a DNS request.  This can be configured on the Mobile Node
    or obtained through DHCPv6 from the visited link [12].

Vijay

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6