Subject: [Mip6] Protocol Action: 'DHCP Options for Home Information Discovery in MIPv6' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 07:00:41 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'DHCP Options for Home Information Discovery in MIPv6 '
   <draft-ietf-mip6-hiopt-17.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Mobility for IPv6 Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Jari Arkko and Mark Townsley.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mip6-hiopt-17.txt

Technical Summary
 
   This draft defines a DHCP-based scheme to enable dynamic discovery of
   Mobile IPv6 home network information.  New DHCP options are defined
   which allow a mobile node to request the home agent IP address, FQDN,
   or home subnet prefix and obtain it via the DHCP response.

Working Group Summary

   The I-D initially also had the Home address (HoA) as a DHCP
   option. Concerns about this were expressed and subsequently deleted
   from the I-D. The WG has a good understanding of the use of DHCP
   for bootstrapping and consensus exists on publishing it.

   The option was also reviewed in the DHC WG, and significant
   revisions were made based on reviews, for instance, from
   Bernie Volz.
   
Document Quality

   No known implementations of the DHCP options specified in the I-D
   exists. However there has been interest expressed in using these
   options in other organizations such as WiMAX forum. Several vendors
   have expressed plans to implement these options for MIP6
   bootstrapping. 

   All reviewers have been acknowledged.

   Jari Arkko has reviewed this specification for the IESG.

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6