Subject: [MMUSIC] Unicast address for media in RTSP

From: Roman Shpount <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Feb 2002 19:47:45 GMT

Hi Folks,

What is the reason why media in unicast session is transmitted to the source of RTSP request? Why can't RTSP client specify different 
address for unicast session in SDP? Ability to send media to a different destination will be extremely useful to implement applications such as music on hold in SIP call from RTSP source.

___________________________________
Roman Shpount, VP of Technology
aTelo, Inc. 
2107 Wilson Blvd., Suite 301 
Arlington, VA 22201 
PCN: 703-621-4040 for voice / fax
www.atelo.com

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Rob Lanphier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 11:56:51 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

On 28 Feb 2002, Roman Shpount wrote:
> What is the reason why media in unicast session is transmitted to the
> source of RTSP request? Why can't RTSP client specify different address
> for unicast session in SDP? Ability to send media to a different
> destination will be extremely useful to implement applications such as
> music on hold in SIP call from RTSP source.

I'm not sure what you mean here.  The client can send a Transport: line
that contains a destination parameter, and the server can accept that
line.  As the spec says, this should be used with caution, and many
implementations may forbid anonymous use of this, because of the
denial-of-service possibilities associated with this feature.

Rob