Subject: [MMUSIC] Proposal: Depecate "e=" field in SDP

From: Bryan Thale <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 16:55:46 -0600

After consuming more coffee and donuts than was wise this morning I came
up with this modification to SDP I'd like to offer up for consideration.

According to sdp-new-06, the "e=" and "p=" fields are so under-used in
practice that the requirement to have at least one of those fields
present in a session description is being relaxed permitting inclusion
of either field to be entirely optional.  In light of this, I propose
that use of the "e=" field be deprecated entirely and the definition of
the "p=" field be enhanced to include a Contact URI rather than simply a
phone number.  The current definitions of these fields would merely be
deprecated at this time, maintaining backward compatibility, but updated
implementations would be encouraged to use URIs instead of unadorned
email address and phone numbers.  A modified grammar for these fields
would be:

email-fields   = *("e=" email-address CRLF)
                 ; Use of this field is deprecated, use
                 ; contact-fields instead.

contact-fields = *("p=" contact CRLF)
                 ; Contact fields are ordered by relative
                 ; preference with preferred contacts listed
                 ; first followed by alternate contacts.

contact        = [display-name *SP] "<" (uri / phone) ">" /
                 phone [*SP "(" display-name ")"]
                 ; Use of the "phone" element is
                 ; deprecated in favor of a tel: URI

display-name   = 1*email-safe

uri            = URI-reference
                 ; Defined in RFC 1630 and RFC 2732
                 ; Any URI but usually one of tel:,
                 ; sip:, sips:, or mailto:

Comments?
Bryan.

--
Bryan Thale
Motorola Labs, Networking and Infrastructure Research
mailto:[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 00:46:02 -0800

Quite frankly, I doubt this is something that we should be worrying 
about.  After all, SDP itself will be deprecated (in favor of "SDPng") 
before too long.

	Ross.