Subject: [MMUSIC] RTSP extended for JPEG 2000

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 10:41:33 -0500

The JPEG/JBIG working group (ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG1) has recently created a
new work item
(as part of the JPEG 2000 standard; ISO/IEC 15444)  to develop an Internet
protocol for interactive viewing of JPEG2000 images.   A number of us at
Kodak have put together a document describing the requirements for such a
protocol, and how it might be accomplished using an RTSP-style interaction.

The JPEG2000 file format encodes images in such a way that it is possible
to dynamically render images at a specified region, resolution or quality.
These features make it highly suitable for Internet use.  We are
specifically interested in a protocol that enables interactive viewing with
zooming and panning through an image based upon user control.  The protocol
will also enable static viewing, but differentiated from simply
transferring the file contents from the server to the client in that the
client can communicate as part of the setup what is its preferred image
quality, resolution and region of interest.  These features enable a server
to use the same container object to serve both, for example, a mobile cell
phone with imaging capabilities and a desktop PC, providing each with an
image appropriate to the display and application.

Two aspects arise in considering how to develop such a protocol.  One is
the control of the session, and the other is the actual transmission of the
binary image data.   As we considered this problem, we realized that RTSP
provides many of the aspects that are needed.  The properties required for
effective, interactive control of a video stream are similar to what is
needed to control the interactive view of an image file, with the temporal
domain replaced with spatial and resolution domains.

We have drafted a document that describes how a JPEG 2000 protocol could be
implemented in an RTSP-style.   The attached document describes the
necessary control properties, and provides examples of how an RTSP-style
interaction could be used.  The properties for data transmission are only
outlined and not covered in detail.

We would welcome feedback on this approach, and would welcome discussion on
how this might fit into an RTSP extension framework.  I plan to be at the
IETF meeting next week and if anyone is interested in an informal
discussion on these ideas, please let me know.

-Mark Wood
Eastman Kodak Company

(See attached file: JPEG2000_RTSP.doc)(See attached file:
JPEG2000_RTSP.htm)