Subject: [MMUSIC] RTSP REDIRECT (2) , "Location" header & URI

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 19:07:26 +0200

Hello,

Two little questions about REDIRECT URIs:
1) When sending a REDIRECT, the URI that can be found as argument to the
method must only be either:
- the presneation aggregate control URI
- or one of presnetation's stream control URI, correct ??

2) In a REDIRECT request (as well as 3xx responses), RFC 2326 states that
the Location header holds the alternate "network location" a client must
connect to. This is further illustrated by RFC 2326 REDIRECT example
setting "Location" to an Internet connection address
(rtsp://bigserver.com:8001).
My question is, does RTSP implictly or explictely restrict the "Location"
semantics as defined in RFC 2616 (HTTP) to "Location" must only contain an
absolute URI consisting of only a host/connection address ??

E.g. in such a case:
C -> S: SETUP rtsp://repository.movies.com/mymovie/audio.en
CSeq: 1

S -> C: RTSP/1.0 301 Moved
CSeq: 1
Location: rtsp://otherserver.movies.com:8854

In that case we'd have to SETUP again but we'd use
rtsp://otherserver.movies.com:8854/mymovie as the requested URI to SETUP
(URI completion is easy since only the network authority part changes).
But what if the response had Location set to:
rtsp://elsewhere.com/movies/same_movie, how would we figure out the request
URI to pass to the
new SETUP ?? Would it be "rtsp://elsewhere.com/movies/same_movie/audio.en"
or "rtsp://elsewhere.com/movies/same_movie/my_movie/audio.en" ?

Thanks,

Olivier

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Jonathan Sergent <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 10:21:09 -0700

> - or one of presnetation's stream control URI, correct ??

See my guess in the previous message.

> (rtsp://bigserver.com:8001).

I think that's a complete URL, not a fragment of one.
Imagine a server embedded in a web cam that only serves one stream, the
same one to all users who connect.

> or "rtsp://elsewhere.com/movies/same_movie/my_movie/audio.en" ?

I don't think so.
I think the UA would do:

SETUP rtsp://otherserver.movies.com:8854 RTSP/1.0

I think that if a session had already been established, and the 301
response indicated another server, there would be an error.

--js.