Subject: [MMUSIC] Basic question on 'KIS'

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 13:56:47 +0200

Hi Gonzalo,

The name of the proposed extension is "KIS: Keep It Separate"
Therefore, it is assumed that the default behaviour of applications is to
make one single resource reservation in the network (e.g. RSVP) for all the
media streams of the multi-media session.
But, what's the interest of making a single resource reservation for so
different media streams like voice (very homogeneous packet traffic), and
video (very bursty packet traffic) ?
Is this really a reasonable default behaviour ?
Shouldn't we use "PIT: Put It Together" instead, and assume that the
default behaviour is one resource reservation per media component ?

Best regards
Juan Carlos

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 15:19:16 +0300

Hi Juan Carlos,

It really does not matter which the default behaviour of implementations
is. What the application wants is that "separate reservation flows are
used for the streams". And that's exactly what it needs to signal.

It is always better to be explicit than being implicit and assume a
certain default behaviour for every existing implementation.

Thanks,

Gonzalo

-- 
Gonzalo Camarillo         Phone :  +358  9 299 33 71
Oy L M Ericsson Ab        Mobile:  +358 40 702 35 35
Telecom R&D               Fax   :  +358  9 299 30 52
FIN-02420 Jorvas          Email :  [email-masked]
Finland                   http://www.hut.fi/~gonzalo